Disturbing horse owner behaviour

Regandal

Visit site
Having been away from horses for years, I find myself bemused by some of the stuff I read. However, one thing which drives me insane is the way some people refer to themselves as their horses' "Mummy". Excuse me, but why? It sets my teeth on edge something awful. There are "proud Mummies", "evil Mummies", "worried Mummies". Ye Gods. It gives me the same feeling as meeting old women with girly things in their hair, slightly creepy. Haven't noticed any horsey "Daddies" yet. Is this a female thing?:confused:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I don't know the origin of it, but agree it is creepy and I find it deeply disturbing. Don't know if it is a gender thng (I do hope not) but I suspect it is an age thing, the younger the owner the more likely it is.

Theocat

Visit site
I only ever use it when I'm being a "mean mummy". "Mean owner" sounds a bit too mean!

I agree with you on owners who talk about "mummy's little boy" or "he's missed his mummy" or whatever :p

trickivicki

Visit site
I agree I find the Mummy thing a bit wierd, perfectly harmless but a little odd.... BUT this is coming from the girl that has conversations with my horse doing a fake mans voice for his replies???

(in my defence my yard is very very very quiet and quite often Peej is my only company!)

JFTDWS

Visit site
:) welcome to the club. I find it bizarre. If I'm not their owner, then I'm the boss. I am not their mother :eek:

padderpaws

Visit site
Thank God someone else thinks the same as me but has the balls to say it. I absolutely hate it when people refer to themselves as their animals mummies. As a dog trainer and groomer I hear it all the time at work and then, when at the yard I hear it all the time with people and their horses.

Buds_mum

Visit site
Haaaha well as you can see i'm Buddy's Mummy :p

Doesn't harm you does it? He also has his Dad and his Granny, quite a few Aunties too :D

My little jack russel sleeps in bed with his mummy and daddy, he knows he's my baby ;)

Batgirl

Visit site
Hmm, never thought of it as weird, I kind of do now though! I just think it bestows the kind of love you might have for a child?? (my boy certainly is preferable to a child :D)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I may be wrong but it seems to me that the majority of 'mummies' are the owners of bad-mannered, over-rugged, incorrectly fed, so-called 'pampered' ponies, which would be much better all ways round if they were treated like horses instead of toys.

Oberon

Visit site
Because to engage the maternal instinct makes us feel better than to understand that we are no better than slaves who pay through the nose for the privilege of being treated like slaves ;)

luckyoldme

Visit site
If you really are that recently returned to horses you will soon find that the mummy thing is just a mild irritant compared to some of the attrocities now commited in equine la la land!
Head down and don t what ever you do pass comment on anything pink, sparkly, spotty or fluffy!
I had 30 years away and im gobsmacked at the daft (harmless) things which persuade people to part with their cash.

rockysmum

Visit site
Yep guilty as hell

Mummy to my old Rocky and Granny to Kayla and Tilly, although seeing as my daughter doesn't want them any more I should be RockyTillykaylasmum or if I used their real names RocklinestriderAustbyMathildaPromqueensmummy

Dont think it would fit on here :D:D

If thats the worst thing you find to wind you up, you are lucky, there is a lot worse going on in the horse world than us :D :D

Plenty of people out there who treat them like machines, far worse in my opinion.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Sorry. I'm very much b and b's mummy! Not so much the old girl, we're same age and i've schooled and educated the other 2 but she arrived ready to go as it were so we've very much been mates. She's so good she needs little instruction or discipline, we just work together.

Buds_mum

Visit site
I may be wrong but it seems to me that the majority of 'mummies' are the owners of bad-mannered, over-rugged, incorrectly fed, so-called 'pampered' ponies, which would be much better all ways round if they were treated like horses instead of toys.

Well how rude, I just have empty womb syndrome. Buds has perfect manners, he can also kiss on command and shakes his hoof aswell as repect my space and lead like a little lamb. He is currently out all naked in the rain, and doesn't get hard food...................
:rolleyes:;):p

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sorry, but why not?????

I don't care if anyone wants to call themselves "mummy". Do what you like. You pay for it. Strange that it bothers people so much.

Ye Gods. Forget about it.

We should argue about real issues like not calling ponies "PONIO" and smothering it in pink. Now that, IMO, is worth taking the mick out of.

:D

rockysmum

Visit site

Again probably right, but my oldie is 36 now and I has been a pampered pony for 31 years. He had excellent manners until he got very old and we started laughing when he played up, just happy he still has it in him.

I cant be blamed for the youngest, I inherited in when my daughter lost interest and its hobby is intimidating me :rolleyes: It doesn't do it to anyone else.

The middle one is just my little angel :eek::p:p:D

RunToEarth

Visit site
I read it a lot on here, but I never thought people referred to themselves as mummies in real life?!
Agree with the others though, if you're coming back into the horsey world you are in for a real treat. Head down to your nearest local show for you eyeballs skinning.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Guilty as charged. But I can assure that they're not over-rugged or over-fed (they wish!). They're also nicely mannered boys that live as horses are meant to live. They're all very respectful and I'm very much boss!

But then I also have conversations with them and answer myself in varying accents depending on which horse I'm talking for. :eek:

They are at home, so there's nobody else to witness my madness ;)

My Instructor is also reffered to as their Auntie. I've not told her that though! :eek:

Okay, Okay I'm barking mad! If I wasn't I wouldn't have all these darn Ponios! :p

Last edited:

Marzipan12

Visit site
The middle one is just my little angel :eek::p:p:D

Yours and yours only ;)

What is the problem with people referring to themselves as mum or mummy? I know of men who refer to themselves as 'dad'. I do it for all my animals and for the ones I work with, we're their aunties. The horse doesn't know what you're saying, its hardly going to get confused about its parentage or what it is or where it came from.

Its a bit of fun, as someone else said, lot worse things going on in the world.

Last edited:

Mongoose11

Visit site
Perhaps some of us can't be real life parents and so prefer to think of our animals as children/babies.

This is the case for me right now (while I seek IVF). I can honestly say it makes me feel better knowing I can lavish my time, love and money on my critters if babies don't ever become a part of my life.

Calling myself her 'Mummy' sounds much more cringeworthy now I write about it/think about it - but I do do it!

Mongoose11

Visit site
Yours and yours only ;)

What is the problem with people referring to themselves as mum or mummy? I know of men who refer to themselves as 'dad'. I do it for all my animals and for the ones I work with, we're their aunties. The horse doesn't know what you're saying, its hardly going to get confused about its parenthood or what it is or where it came from.

Its a bit of fun, as someone else said, lot worse things going on in the world.

The other girls at the yard are 'Aunty Kate' and 'Aunty Charlotte' to my mare!

Natch

Visit site
Not my thing but can't be bothered to care that much. Plus I know a friend of mine who is reading this talks in her horse's voice and calls herself mummy, and it suits his personality :)