Disunited canter - possible physical issue?

Bea_millard

Visit site
My rising 6 year old is quite weak, but even on the lunge he is struggling to pick up the correct lead and to stay “united”. He’s better on the left rein than the right, but even then he is often disunited.

In peoples experience, is this more likely to be a training/strength/balance issue or do I need to get the vet out? If the former, do people have exercises/tips?

horsesense

Visit site
My rising 6 year old is quite weak, but even on the lunge he is struggling to pick up the correct lead and to stay “united”. He’s better on the left rein than the right, but even then he is often disunited.

In peoples experience, is this more likely to be a training/strength/balance issue or do I need to get the vet out? If the former, do people have exercises/tips?
If he is a weak 6year old it would be better not to canter him on the lunge. Canter him out hacking to build strength and develop the muscles, etc. he needs to carry a rider in canter. Cantering in circles is much harder for the horse than straight line work so leave circles until he has established reasonable balance when cantering out.

SEL

Visit site
It was an old sacrum injury with my friend's ex-racer when he did this - apparently he'd had a fall in the lorry before he came to her.

So I'd agree with the above posters. If he struggles in straight lines or on his own then its likely a vet issue.

pixie27

Visit site
My 5/6 yr old struggled with canter in straight lines and in the school/on the lunge. Disunited behind, was weak and so on. Turned out to have serious damage to his stifle.

RHM

Visit site
My 5 year old also presented like this, sent him for a loss of performance work up and he had PSD. Hopefully yours is ok! Got everything crossed!

Branna

Visit site
Does he have regular physio/chiro/back person?
If it was an older established horse disuniting I'd be more concerned, but when mine were 4-6ish usually it meant they needed an adjustment or treatment.
I have used both a vet physio and a mctimoney chiro at different times. With both I found a treatment would set young horses back to correct lead. As they get older and stronger it happened less often.

Bea_millard

Visit site
If he is a weak 6year old it would be better not to canter him on the lunge. Canter him out hacking to build strength and develop the muscles, etc. he needs to carry a rider in canter. Cantering in circles is much harder for the horse than straight line work so leave circles until he has established reasonable balance when cantering out.

Ah okay - I got told to canter him on the lunge so he can figure himself out before cantering under saddle. I will stop cantering on the lunge!

Bea_millard

Visit site
Does he have regular physio/chiro/back person?
If it was an older established horse disuniting I'd be more concerned, but when mine were 4-6ish usually it meant they needed an adjustment or treatment.
I have used both a vet physio and a mctimoney chiro at different times. With both I found a treatment would set young horses back to correct lead. As they get older and stronger it happened less often.

He doesn’t, no. But I am definitely going to look into it. I think I’m going to get the vet out to have a look - then at least if there’s nothing, that crosses that off the list and I can hopefully work towards finding the solution. I’m praying it’s not as serious as some of the issues mentioned in this thread and that like you said, it’s just an adjustment and strength building

Bea_millard

Visit site
Just watched a video of him cantering in his field and for the first half he’s disunited and then he changes his front legs and he’s okay. I’m very worried now. Call to the vet tomorrow!