Disunited strike off

Lydiamae

Visit site
Advice for a very young, rarely schooled 5yr old.

Walk and trot now balanced and becomimg soft. When asking for canter he strikes off correct in front and (more so on right rein) bunny hops/is disunited behind. By the time we reach the next corner, he has usually rectified this. He usually does it for the first few times I ask for canter and then begins getting it right.

How can I help to develop his canter?

Thanks

Shay

Visit site
Is this the one that also has mounting issues? Whilst it could be a lack of developed muscle, combined with the problems you have girthing / mounting it could also indicate serious back problems.

Outside of that - lots of really correct basic work to build up his musculature. It might also be worth just getting in a good instructor used to bringing on youngsters to check that you are not inadvertently blocking his transition. Presume you are asking for canter on a corner to make it easier for him - but might the corner be too tight for him to get his hind under him? Canter strike off comes from the hind not the fore so the fact he is correct in front isn't hugely relevant.

Shay

Visit site
Fair enough - ignore that bit then! Sorry OP.

The bit about an experienced instructor still holds - getting a youngster balanced and to the aids is different from riding an established horse. But FfionWinnie's advice is good too - often relieved of the pressure to strike off one way or the other horses can build musculature out hacking. Just be sure there isn't any particular one sidededness (other than what is normal) causing her to favour one lead over another and so build up muscle asymmetrically.

Sammy1983

Visit site
I'd also want to get a Chiro out to check her pelvis was having similar problems with my horse and he had a tilt which was manipulated then he had to hack for 4 weeks to increase strength and muscle. Since then he has been a lot better

Kikke

Visit site
definitely have his back check by chiro or osteo.
But also fairly common with a young big horse. Lack of balance and strength.