Ditch schooling in the North!

Muddyboots

Visit site
SO.... We still have ditch issues - better then they were!!! I have one weekend free between now and the end of October so I want to go somewhere schooling where there are lots and lots of ditches with the hope of bottoming out this ditch problem once and for all!!

So 'where' is the question??!! I am based in York but willing to travel to end up at the right course. I have been to Helen Bells, Northallerton and Thornthorpe a lot recently so i am looking to go somewhere different.

At the moment Grange de lings / Hood xc is top of the list. I think this would take 2 1/2 hours in the lorry. Another option is Manor Farm, Howden - which i have never been to. This would take about 1 1/2 hours. Is Grange de lings worth the extra hour???

We went to Sommerford towards the end of last year - whilst I loved it, I am keen to go somewhere new so he is not jumping from memory if you know what i mean!

So say if 2 1/2 hours is the max to travel, where would you go???

Thanks

(entered Askam Bryan where i know there is a ditch so i am aiming not to get a big fat 'E' there!!!)

Muddyboots

Visit site
Thanks!! Do they just have the one ditch? Was hoping to find somewhere with a few. Trakheners don't seem to be too much of a problem!

charlimouse

Visit site

rosiesmumof4

Visit site
if howden is that far i wouldn't bother, there is not enough variety/decent stuff to make it worth such a long trip. i would go to hoods, or across to somerford. how far is thornton chasers (easingwold) which has the odd ditch or try foxberry chasers, but i haven't been there myself.

charlimouse

Visit site
I've only been to Grange de Lings once and that was a long time ago, so can't really remember it that well. I do know hat newton has alot of ditches and was my course of choice with a particularly ditchy horse I had.

Solo1

Visit site
How's Kelsall in relation to you?

They have a new schooling field. It's quite basic, the actual jumps are small though there are a few bigger ones. One thing it's good for is ditches! Lots and lots of ditches! Ranging from small grassy ones, the biig ditches. There's 4 in a row of varying widths and depths and then another 4 or so dotted about. It was very good for my youngster :)

Two ditches:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/156526_10150879371716421_876776625_n.jpg

Grassy ditch (good for some emergency nomming):

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/485757_10150879355771421_154222738_n.jpg

Got no pictures of the row of ditches though. It's a nice little field though, nowhere near as established as Somerford but good for a confidence building play around.

ETA - just realised - probably outside of 2 1/2 hours... I think?

Muddyboots

Visit site
How's Kelsall in relation to you?

They have a new schooling field. It's quite basic, the actual jumps are small though there are a few bigger ones. One thing it's good for is ditches! Lots and lots of ditches! Ranging from small grassy ones, the biig ditches. There's 4 in a row of varying widths and depths and then another 4 or so dotted about. It was very good for my youngster :)

Two ditches:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/156526_10150879371716421_876776625_n.jpg

Grassy ditch (good for some emergency nomming):

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/485757_10150879355771421_154222738_n.jpg

Got no pictures of the row of ditches though. It's a nice little field though, nowhere near as established as Somerford but good for a confidence building play around.

ETA - just realised - probably outside of 2 1/2 hours... I think?

Just had a look on thier website and it looks really good - but i think it would be over 3 hours away (its further than sommerford and thats about 3 hours!) THanks!!

Muddyboots

Visit site
Thanks!!! I have been there recently. It has a couple of fences with ditches in front then a sucken road but not much else for my boy to think about!

VRIN

Visit site
Kelsall XC schooling field has LOTS of ditches, of all sizes. If you want ditch training its a good place to go. They also have a trakhener - 3 different sizes..

Give them a call and they will be able to tell you how many ditches they have...

VRIN

Visit site
.. aahh just seen the posts above... its not too bad to get to though.. and they are very, very welcoming. I am sure if you ask, they would be happy for you to have a play in the schooling field, have a break (take some butties) and then have another go.. so you can conslidate the experience..

Muddyboots

Visit site
.. aahh just seen the posts above... its not too bad to get to though.. and they are very, very welcoming. I am sure if you ask, they would be happy for you to have a play in the schooling field, have a break (take some butties) and then have another go.. so you can conslidate the experience..

It does sounds like it is exactly what i am after! Will have a proper look at the journey on Multi map later and have a chat to the husband!!

Muddyboots

Visit site
I think both Foxberry and EM only have one, possibly two ditches. EM is only open at specific times. Foxberry is good. Used to live near there so have been a fair few times. It would be nearly 2 hours to get there. Grange de lings tell me they have 15 plus ditches (inc those that incorperate a fence) so i would say i am better off travelling that little bit further and going there!

Although i am now considering Kelsall!!!

Has anyone got any first hand experience of Grange de Lings????

Muddyboots

Visit site
Its a real shame i haven't got a whole weekend free before i need to do the ditch at Askham Bryan - a perfect solution would be to go to Kesall on a Saturday, then stay at Somerford over night, do there ditches the next day then toddle off home!!!

Muddyboots

Visit site
I literally only have one weekend day free between now and the end of the seasson. Work full time and no holiday days left! Might be a plan for next spring but not at the moment!