DIY and Freelancers

BOWS28

Visit site
A little bit of back of background first... I keep my horses on a livery yard. Primarily, it is full liveries, but there is a group of about 7 of us on DIY. We always help each other when we can and this has worked well up until now. We are all going on holiday around the same time so it leaves my two with no one to do them for 3 of the days i'm away. My plan was to get a local freelance to do them for me and this was all arranged. Although, my YM has said she doesn't allow any freelancer on site as it is steeling her business.
Now, here's my issue... Yes there are staff on site all day, who theoretically could do them BUT quite honestly, i wouldn't trust them with my hamster, let alone my babies... There has been quite a few instances where they have proved they are either incompetent or just stupid. So, my question is where do i stand? Surely i have a right to decide who does my horses when i'm away from home? Or am i being completely unreasonable? I haven't said a lot to YM as i was quite shocked and didn't really know if i had a leg to stand on. Please be brutally honest, as i know you always are :)

zaminda

Visit site
Most yards which offer services would not let a freelancer work there unless it was a pro schooling rider or similar. Have you had the discussion about why you don't want her staff dealing with them?
Personally I think you are going to have to follow her rules.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
In that circumstance i'd send my horse to a friends yard if possible or send to a trainers for a weeks schooling. Problem is can't YO decide whos allowed on her land and who isn't? Not worth upsetting them.

There are some yards advertised for 'horsey holidays' where they are just turned away and checked twice a day is a cheaper option.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
OOOh so tricky, I have been where you are. I was fortunate that I had another friend not on the yard who I trusted 100% so she came and did mine. Would any of you know anyone suitable who was not doing it as their job....? ;)

otherwise I have to agree I'd send mine away if I could, or else suck it up :(

conniegirl

Visit site
sorry but her yard, her rules. You have to abide by them.

You getting in a freelancer will directly affect her business. If there is no one you trust to do the horses in her staff then you need to send yours away whilst you are away.

BOWS28

Visit site
You have all confirmed what i was thinking... I am going to arrange for them to go up to a friends yard for the whole week as schooling livery is pretty pricey with two :confused:
I have discussed issues with her regarding the staff before. Obviously, very politely but nothing has been said and nothing has changed. Hence the worry of leaving them in their care... One of mine is a very nervous mare so i would never forgive myself if someone upset her and i wasn't around... A little holiday for both me and the ponies will be nice i think :)

9tails

Visit site
Check before you send them off, our yard owner has been quite vindictive in the past and requested that horses are retested for strangles before they returned.

BOWS28

Visit site
Check before you send them off, our yard owner has been quite vindictive in the past and requested that horses are retested for strangles before they returned.

I'm going to have a chat with her when i go down tonight. Just double check i'm not making a rod for my own back... Thank you for pointing this out, i hadn't considered this!

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Most yards would also charge a holding fee while your horse was away or be free to relet your space.

So essentially they'd expect people to pay extra on top of their livery, whilst their horses were away elsewhere? Really? And there are people who would agree to this? As in real people, not theoretical ones? Aye, right, of course there are. Of course :rolleyes:

conniegirl

Visit site
So essentially they'd expect people to pay extra on top of their livery, whilst their horses were away elsewhere? Really? And there are people who would agree to this? As in real people, not theoretical ones? Aye, right, of course there are. Of course
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/diy-and-freelancers.774786/#toaEkV3zpdWhG41J.99

No a holding fee is normally a reduced livery fee as you won't actually be using the facilities, it is not a fee on top of your livery.

What sport horse is getting at is that you will either have to pay your normal livery OR a holding fee, you can't expect to move your horse for 2 weeks, not pay anything at the current yard and still have a stable to return to when you want to go back.

BOWS28

Visit site
No a holding fee is normally a reduced livery fee as you won't actually be using the facilities, it is not a fee on top of your livery.

What sport horse is getting at is that you will either have to pay your normal livery OR a holding fee, you can't expect to move your horse for 2 weeks, not pay anything at the current yard and still have a stable to return to when you want to go back.

I pay for my livery monthly and by the time i go, i will have paid for the whole month so there won't be any worries about my stable being given away :)

conniegirl

Visit site
I pay for my livery monthly and by the time i go, i will have paid for the whole month so there won't be any worries about my stable being given away :)

thats ok then, my Yard owner reduced my livery when I go away showing for a week, normaly just the hay and bedding costs taken off as i'm on part livery but my yard does not do DIY at all so what I pay would be considered a holding fee rather than livery.

BOWS28

Visit site
thats ok then, my Yard owner reduced my livery when I go away showing for a week, normaly just the hay and bedding costs taken off as i'm on part livery but my yard does not do DIY at all so what I pay would be considered a holding fee rather than livery.

Ah okay i see what you mean. No i pay for everything myself so it is just the stable/field i pay for... Hoping she will take it okay... Unfortunately, i won't be able to go away knowing they're not in good hands so i think everyone will benefit if i'm honest!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site

My old one decided that the horses had to be re-wormed and kept in for 24 hours when returning from grazing elsewhere. Not everyone's horses and not every time they went; just when she felt like it.

BOWS28

Visit site
My old one decided that the horses had to be re-wormed and kept in for 24 hours when returning from grazing elsewhere. Not everyone's horses and not every time they went; just when she felt like it.

I'm hoping she won't be that petty, but who knows with horsey people haha