DIY charges

Tempi

Visit site
How much would you expect your monthly bill to go up by if you got given a field on your own for your horse, which you have to maintain yourself?

Said fields were one huge field, but YO has divided up field into 6 little paddocks. I dont get a choice, Bloss has to have one as they wont put her in with the other mares as shes too bossy
blush.gif
Each field has its own trough whigh YO has put in (but has to be filled - like all troughs at yard - by YO regularly), along with electric fencing (done using posts tho, not stakes).

Field Bloss was in was identical, except bigger.

Prices you would be willing to pay please!! as in on top of what i already pay, eg and extra £10 etc...........

(shes not allowed to stay in her old bigger field as its being used for geldings during the winter)

Oaksflight

Visit site
Since you don't have a choice in it, about £5-£7 more? Although I have no idea really to be honest!

Edited to say, since it's DIY you should only have to pay for the amount of time it takes her to fill the troth. But what does contract say? If it says YO is incharge of maintaning water supplies in field, then nothing.

Capriole

Visit site
is the yard owner being ar**y by making you pay extra because you were moving yards werent you? or is eveyone having to pay more?

whats in your contract re grazing?

EllieBeast

Visit site
last winter my mare was given her own field for exactly the same reason (plus she was the only one living out), and my bill stayed exactly the same as it always is. again, yo filling buckets, sorting fencing etc.
Sarah xXx
ETA - she is back in a herd now, but pricing still stands.

pottamus

Visit site
Surely as part of DIY cost the field/grazing is included in that? So why should you pay extra? Surely it is irrelevant whether your horse is in one big field with other horses or on their own in a smaller divided field???
I would not be paying extra and questioning it...are all horse being split up or just your?

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I would not expect to pay any extra to be honest. especially as you are expected to maintain it yourself, I assume poo picking? It was the YO choice to change the field regime and order and it is up to the YO to ensure that what he is being paid for is supplied, surely, ie suitable grazing for horses and provision of water. Your horse has not gained anymore in acerage or grazing, and sometimes it is just the way it is with horses who are unsuitable to share in a large herd, you may find that in a smaller herd she improves, but that is one of the things that YOs have to consider when renting their feilds out, that there could be a possibility of horses who can not share.
hope that helps
Dawn

ajb

Visit site
Wouldnt expect my liveries to pay any more if they wanted or had to have individual turnout-god how nice am I -I dont charge my liveries any extra for individual turnout if they want it and although I only have 18 acres and 7 of us all my fields have piped water and permanent fencing! all they have to do is poo pick!!-I even do 5 outof 7 morning checks for nothing and most evenings...I suppose as a YO I can see she has had to buy troughs and more fencing but it was her choice to split the field as presumably it suited her to use the other field for the geldings??

Tempi

Visit site
this is what i think, i shouldnt have to pay any extra - i would quite happily slap blos back in with the others, but all the other liveries would moan, so she has to go on her own. New field is TINY about 50m x 50m approx.

Two of the other fields are being used by YOs son (obviously he dosent have to pay anything) one of them is being used by SJer for her grade a and another is being used by a girl in the same situation as me (as in shes been forced to have one as her pony wind sucks and liveries ahve been complaining saying they dont want their horses in a field with a windsucker).

S, im having to pay and extra £30, yes THIRTY WHOLE POUNDS A MONTH for this field - which i now have to poo pick myself (didnt have to with old field). Apparently its to cover the increasing water costs/YO paying for new fencing to build paddocks, and new troughs.

Everyone elses have gone up £10 per month, fair enough, prices havent gone up since ive been there so i wouldnt have minded that.

EllieBeast

Visit site
£30??????!!!!!!!?????
Now that is extortionate! (sp) if it was a one-off payment, say to cover the cost of the new water trough, i could understand. but that is awful!
Sarah xXx

eohippus

£30 thats disgusting, the YO is not providing any extra water, just because the water is now seperated does not mean they are drinking more. and seperating the fields is her choice and therefore her expense to provide smaller paddocks. Sounds like she is taking the pee to me.
regards
Dawn

Tempi

Visit site
thats my feeling in that its not my choice shes on her own, altho at least i know she wont get kicked out in the field.

I can understand totally that YO has had to buy her a new water trough and put the fencing up, but i think having to pay that all the time is just ridiculous. Plus its on top of a massive hill with no shelter and in the winter its just going to be a total nightmare!!

unfortunatly there really are no other yards near me that i like and actually want to go to. The ones i looked at are more than my current yard so i might as well just stay put.

eohippus

Sounds like you really havent got a choice then, one bonus is that you may be able to put hay out for her in winter and there will be no fighting with the others, and you have sole say in how you maintain it. Cant imagine her taking water up a hill over the winter or for long though, so this may sway her to consider something more suitable. Bah YO's are so annoying sometimes, time will come where something else will open nearby and everyone does a mass exodus and leaves her clientless.
Best of luck anyway
Dawn

Claireg9

Visit site
that is naughty, if we want seperate turnout it costs us £10 a week extra so more than that... i had individual on vets say so for two weeks i got told if i wanted it any longer id have to pay! Even though the vet advised this due to colic!

I was fuming then, but to be asked to move by YO then have to pay for the privilage! Damn cheek if you ask me.

Id ask for a field shelter to be erected in that cost, ready for the winter!

Tempi

Visit site
I pay £155 a month now DIY and thats for stable/own field(which i have to muck out myself)/use of school & floodlights/unlimited haylage (rubbish quality tho). Bedding can be brought from YO, but i get my shavings cheaper and of better quality from a place down the road. No tack room - well there is one but birds live in there and everyones tack gets covered in sh!t.........so all my tack is kept at home, but id do that anyways i think. Use of a few jumps but they're not very good.

Tempi

Visit site
its ok!! its not as bad as it sounds, honestly!! the school is fab, her field has LOADS of grass in it (probably what im paying for!) and everything is generally well maintained and its smart. Haylage is rubbish sometimes, but sometimes its good.....if its rubbish we get YO to take it away and get us another bale...........!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It shouldn't cost you anymore that you were paying. The YO should maintain all fences, he has vacarious liability in law to ensure the safety of the animals that are in his keeping. I certainly wouldn't pay him anymore, I'd change yards rather than pay. It doesn't seem that he does much at the stables anyway.

not_with_it

Visit site
I cant believe how muh you are paying.
shocked.gif

I pay £100 PM for a stable only, Gin has her own field in the summer and is in a yard on her own on winter. So its all year turnout but only a field in summer and use of a floodlit school. I do all the poo picking myself which I really dont mind and YO will do the horse for nothing if I cant get there for some reason. I am the only livery tho.

Bex7

Visit site
erm absolutely nothing!
shocked.gif

I wouldn't pay a penny more as it is not your choice and maitained by you and smaller. we can have individual turnout or group depending on what can be accomodated and what you prefer for the same cost. and that is only £17pw and in Buck which can be quite pricey.
x

eohippus

quote: buckets aren't used to fill the troughs, its done using a tractor, so not even hard work for YO!!

thats a pity. could have worked to your advantage.

quote: its ok!! its not as bad as it sounds, honestly!! the school is fab, her field has LOADS of grass in it (probably what im paying for!) and everything is generally well maintained and its smart. Haylage is rubbish sometimes, but sometimes its good.....if its rubbish we get YO to take it away and get us another bale...........!

Okay 155 a month is high but I feel you have to weigh up the pro and cons of paying more and look at what others around you are offering, it maybe that you have to put up with it, although the bonus might be that you can provide your horse with feild things where others cannot. ie, a mineral lick, feed ball and adlib haylage in the winter (this would cost you considerably if paying seperate). I would bring up the problem with no shelter for the winter and see if the YO can come to some sort of compromise.

by what you have said, the facilites seem sufficient for your needs, it is just a case of unfair justice at present that has got your back up. But thinking about it further may justify you staying there or taking the decision to go somewhere else.

I wish you all the luck for the future.

Regards
Dawn