DIY jump suggestions

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
All,

I need to make some more jumps. Currently I have a rather pathetic total of 2 polyjump types, and four poles. I have fond memories of home made jumps, but have zero carpentry skills so need something that doesn't need 'making' if you know what I mean. Also, could do with being as light as possible as they will need to be moved after I've finished using them. Most important is that they're cheap / free. I remember using those milk crates as they were great and you could stack them as well, but not sure where to start looking for them, have left a note for my milkman.

Does anyone have any suggestions for poles as well, the actual poles seem to be around £20 mark, I don't mind painting my own, but where can I get plastic tubes from? B&Q drainpipes maybe?

Thanks in advance, hope there's lots of 'handy' people here :D

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Oops think I've started something now, had a vague memory of a company selling jumps, they do timber poles, unpainted for £7 each. Can probably stretch to this or ask for my birthday. Just wondering whether they'll fit in a Disco and whether it'll cost £17 (their delivery charge) to drive to Ipswich and pick them up ourselves...

putasocinit

Visit site
light plastic poles e.g. drain pipes teach horses to knock them down because they have no respect for them as they touch them once feel they are light and then lose respect.

If you can get some decent sized poles, also a couple of bales of hay with some feed bags tied around, makes an interesting jump, also some 10litre gallon plastic containers with a pole on top makes an interesting jump, some of your mom's pot plants, remember you do not need a course of jumps just a couple of different ones you can jump from both sides.

Use your imagination and look around you there will be lots of things you could use.

PingPongPony

Visit site
Oops think I've started something now, had a vague memory of a company selling jumps, they do timber poles, unpainted for £7 each. Can probably stretch to this or ask for my birthday. Just wondering whether they'll fit in a Disco and whether it'll cost £17 (their delivery charge) to drive to Ipswich and pick them up ourselves...

i was just about to suggest the timber poles, and they're easier to paint than plastic, cuz the paint doesn't come off as easily :)
With the wings, hmmmmm. Could you use wheelbarrows?? also is a nice distraction for pony, and easy to move :D i'll have a think of some other wings ideas :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I would like some ideas too! Just bought a pony that jumps but we have a grand total of 2 poles and 2 different height pole rests, the highest being about 1 foot...

hoggedmane

Visit site
Be careful using plastic tubes that are not specifically meant for jumping. When they are hit they can break and leave a very sharp edge which could cause injury. I once kept my horses at a yard where a horse received a very nasty injury to it's abdomen from a pole that broke and left a sharp edge.

Jenna c bigg

Visit site
Hi.
I have lots of tried and tested make shift free/ cheap jumping options for you.
Old straw bales.
Half rotten logs.
Plastic barrels cut in half.....to go further.
Plastic sheeting held down with two poles, so it looks like water.
Ask your local timber yard for any odd poles, slats, they are getting rid off.
If you can get some cheap acrylic paint (wilkos) you can jazz up the poles.
For wings the straw bales, barrels and milk crates will suffice.
Hope this helps.
I use to have grate fun doing this sort of thing when i was little and just starting out. :)
X

WelshD

Visit site
Beer crates are easier to get hold of than milk crates.

I recently bought some fencing rails from my local agricultural merchant at about £5 -7 a pole (bought rectangular and circular poles) fence posts would make good poles for a narrow stile fence too

There are colourful plastic sleeves that can be used with poles and bales

Tyres are also good

My biggest tip is for really good home made fillers and wings: get hold of a pallet, obviously the top is slatted, turn it over and you'll see it rests on three planks, prise the middle one off, use a saw to cut the supporting struts between the two middle slats and you end up with two equal sizedfillers each with it's own stand. With a little modification these can be used on end as wings too

welshrider6

New User
Visit site
I have recentley bought 6 10ft plain wooden poles from a local farming store and painted them myself which has saved a huge amount of money.

If I were you, stick with wooden poles, plastic drain-pipes are very easily knocked down which doesn't teach the horse well at all, it just teaches them that they can get away with knocking them down. Also, I have found that the plastic pipes break very easily which causes extra fuss and trouble.

Harriet83

New User
Visit site
Have you seen these? www.equitility.com. Got a few on our yard and found them very good value for money as they have multiple uses, eg as fillers, ditch simulators and are light weight so easy to move and store when not using them !

guido16

Visit site
Can I just say, please DO NOT use a wheelbarrow as a wing unless you want your horse to wrap his legs round the metal frame!!

As for poles, you can get thick cardboard ones from your local carpet shop. Would need kept inside in the rain, or covered, but you can fill them with a bit of sand or dirt to make them a bit heavier, paint them with gloss and away you go. They are the perfect length and size.

igglepop

Visit site
Go to your local tyre garage they have to pay to dispose of them so you can grab them free. As long as you don't get tiny ones they stack really well and can be used as fillers swell.