DIY liveries, compatibility non negotiables.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
The other day I was musing about the various diy liveries I've known and had over the years.
We are now looking for a new one as have space and I was seriously thinking that we could do with some sort of compatibility test to get the best candidate. We are a very happy yard at the moment so want to keep it that way.

Just for a bit of fun, what would your ideals in a diy livery be?

I will start.

1.likes decent beds, banks not compulsory but need more than a postage stamp.
2. Does not over rug
3. Sweeps occasionally
4.Picks up after their dog

Sparemare

Visit site
Is kind to the horses, theirs and the others. Doesn't want to bring a dog with them. Sweeps up like they own it!

SEL

Visit site
I fail on tidiness! Plus I think rugging is about knowing the individual horse. If mine is cold her muscles seize up.

I just like people to care about their horse and want to do the best for it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My yard is small and spaces never come up. It is an incredibly friendly, close knit yard with most people having been there for 5yrs plus.

The main criteria for the YO is people who love their horses, put them first and look after them well.

Shay

Visit site
Being respectful. Everything else stems from that.....

I don't mean as in subservient or anything like that. I mean treating other people as you would want to be treated. Always putting the needs of the horse before your own. What my mother would call good manners!

The state of the bed, or the approach to rugging etc, would not for me be an issue as long as the decisions made were in the best interests of the horse and not the human. A postage stamp bed because it is cheaper or easier to muck out is not acceptable. But if there is a good horse related reason (can't think of one just now...) then fine. Over rugged because the owner is too lazy to change the rug or too cheap to pay the yard to do a quick change - no. Rugging because the horse genuinely has a need to be rugged more warmly than others - fine.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
Someone who's tidy, but not OCD enough to make me sweep to within an inch of my life.

Someone who's 'horse' (human), likes a lie in on a Sunday until lunchtime, absolutely gets me enraged beyond belief!!

honetpot

Visit site
Visit at least once a day.
Arrange holiday cover
Have an adequate supply of food, bedding
Are registered with a vet and farrier and you can call if needed.
Poo pick at least twice a week if needed and muck out once a day if stabled, but should be seen twice a day.
Are there before 9 am if stabled
3rd party insurance.
Agree to some sort of worming programme.
I think the standards of basic horse care are so poor now and a lot of people either do not know or care about their horse.
An untidy yard is annoying but it doesn't really matter to the horse.
Pay a month in advance and sign a contract.
I have decided it not worth the hassle.

Bav

Visit site
Sweeping up and generally tidying up after themselves and their horses. I understand with a horse that's out overnight but I don't get this craze of rubber matting and postage stamp beds when they're in at night?
I also don't get the new craze of absolutely no children? I understand with health and safety but surely if you're responsible enough to look after a horse you'd have common sense to supervise a child? Or I'm putting too much faith in people 😂 I have a two year old I regularly take with me as she loves my horse but when looking for another yard recently was shocked by the no children at all, ever rule.

Snuffles

Visit site
Poo picks
Visits every day at least once
Doesn't want a radio blaring out in the stable
Doesn't leave horse out till 9pm in winter going mad
Takes turn filling water troughs

BlackRider

Visit site
I also don't get the new craze of absolutely no children? I understand with health and safety but surely if you're responsible enough to look after a horse you'd have common sense to supervise a child? Or I'm putting too much faith in people �� I have a two year old I regularly take with me as she loves my horse but when looking for another yard recently was shocked by the no children at all, ever rule.
I've been on many yards where young children are allowed to wander around and do there own thing. I even had an 8 year old once tell me I couldn't use the school as she and her friends where playing (not on horse back)!

chocolategirl

Visit site
Same as you OP plus:

Cares for their horse but is realistic about allowing it to live like a horse
Pays on time
Doesn't stand whispering in corners, most likely bitching about others!(one of my absolute pet hates)
Keeps their own area nice and tidy
Comes to see their horse at least once daily in summer
Respects the facilities and appreciates the cost of them
Isn't mean with hay (another of my pet hates!)
Isn't afraid to ask for advice when needed

I'm sure there are loads more but that'll do for now lol!

conniegirl

Visit site
Sweeping up and generally tidying up after themselves and their horses. I understand with a horse that's out overnight but I don't get this craze of rubber matting and postage stamp beds when they're in at night?
I also don't get the new craze of absolutely no children? I understand with health and safety but surely if you're responsible enough to look after a horse you'd have common sense to supervise a child? Or I'm putting too much faith in people 😂 I have a two year old I regularly take with me as she loves my horse but when looking for another yard recently was shocked by the no children at all, ever rule.

No people are not sensible with children and a lot of people do not like children.
Going to the yard is my time for me. I do not want to deal with children in any shape or form, i cannot deal with squealing or shouting children. after a stressful day at work all i want is quiet time, just me and the horse.

We do have a few ladies with children on the yard but they have all been on the yard since before they had kids and are all on notice that if thier children cause a nuisance they will be asked to leave, they rarely bring them to the yard anyway. The yard owner does have 2 yards and i believe children are allowed on the other yard but this yard is a quiet, relaxed, adult environment, where everyone gets on but no one butts into anyone elses business which is why i chose to go there.
Its the most pleasant yard ive ever been on!

taraj

Visit site
All above but when they poo pick/muck out to chuck the muck up rather than dump it on ramp/front of muck heap.
Turn lights off and taps off properly.
Make sure gates are shut!

Sparemare

Visit site
No people are not sensible with children and a lot of people do not like children.
Going to the yard is my time for me. I do not want to deal with children in any shape or form, i cannot deal with squealing or shouting children. after a stressful day at work all i want is quiet time, just me and the horse.

I agree with you about children. A friend of mine is on a yard and I visited her the other week. There was a gang of unsupervised children - from about 4 - 8 years old, the farrier was shoeing a nervous young horse while the children ran around screaming having a water fight with the hose. I was horrified.

sjp1

Visit site
Well I am on part livery but still visit twice a day. YO has two small children - one 7 and one 9 - I have been there for two years.

Actually I am all for small children on yards provided they aren't brats!! YO's two small children have desensitised my horse amazingly!! Running screaming up to him and clasping their small arms around his neck has caused him to be super chilled out about high pitched noises and he really likes them!! Her five mastiff dogs lying around his heels and barking have caused dogs to no longer be a problem!!

Because of part livery our horses are massively chilled out - every horse knows its routine and nothing is left in til 9 or 10 in the morning or left out till late. I happen to like to see my horse twice daily but DIY yards I found a nightmare. Lots of horses were unhappy on them because there was no routine and that caused stress for them all.

DIY is fine provided everyone has the same routine, but sadly I have never found a dIY yard that all the owners have the same routine - lots of owners think 10am is an absolutely fine time to pitch up whilst the horse has finished its haynet at 10pm the night before ................ so not a great fan!!

yhanni

Visit site
No children, including teenagers!! (Bratty ones anyway) and no dogs. I have two but one of them is a complete PITA and I wouldn't dream of taking her to a yard. And everything else that everyone else has mentioned too!

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Keeps a tidy muck heap!
Poo-picks on a regular basis, not just once a week.
Brings cake :D

Think the poo picking is a little harsh. I poo pick every day in the summer but in the winter I work long hours and only have the opportunity to poo pick once a week.

conniegirl

Visit site
Actually I am all for small children on yards provided they aren't brats!! YO's two small children have desensitised my horse amazingly!! Running screaming up to him and clasping their small arms around his neck has caused him to be super chilled out about high pitched noises and he really likes them!! Her five mastiff dogs lying around his heels and barking have caused dogs to no longer be a problem!!

!!
Sounds like my idea of hell, there are far easier and more peaceful ways of desensitising horses. I cannot stand screaming kids! There is nothing worse.

I'm on a DIY yard, rules are that you must turn out before 8am or the yard owner will turnout for you and then charge you a fortune for it. I pay my YO to turnout in the morning as I simply cannot get there in time. I winter I also pay to have him brought in as I can't get there before dark (they have to be in before it goes dark) when I work to 5 and it goes dark at 3, but as it is prearranged it is £10 a week!