DIY livery Edinburgh area

forthview

New User
Visit site
Hi, I'm thinking about building new stables & taking in DIY liveries on my land which is between Edinburgh & Linlithgow.
I would rather have 1 owner with 3 horses than 3 owners coming & going .......
I've read on several horse forums about owners being fed up with sharing on bigger yards & wonder if there is much interest in having sole use of a new 3 stable block & over 4 acres of grazing all year round ? .......... what would owners be willing to pay per horse per week on a DIY, supply your own hay & bedding basis ?

Dave

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
You might get people interested, its what I do although am in middle of buying own place. Alot depends on what backup people have, being on livery can be a pain but useful when you are sick/work late/on holiday. You also have to be careful about who pays for/deals with maintanence of buildings and grazing-3 horses on 4 acres is doable but difficult on a year like last year. Get someone who doesn't look after it and then leaves-you are left with a big bill to get grazing right again. I would also check-think there's some law about certain sorts of tenancy that tenants must vacate for 48h in 12month period-worth checking that out (sorry to be vague). I pay a set amount each month regardless of how many horses (although there is a max of 3) and source all my own bedding and hay, carry out field maintenance (other than fencing). I get muckheap collected for me included in that. I also have a floodlit school, secure tackroom and brick built stable block and have access to very good off road hacking.Pricewise, it works out at the top end of DIY per horse.

forthview

New User
Visit site
Hi, many thanks for the reply, really useful information .......... I have more than the 4 acres so could provide a bit more for horses ....... I'm making mini round bale hay from some of it as well & thought this would go well with having horses in.

Maybe 2 owners (pals) would be better then so they could help each other out with diy/holidays etc ?

I'm trying to figure out DIY prices, they seem to vary a lot with some places charging over £50 with hay & bedding included .......... I suppose it depends on the place, how much year round grazing, security etc ?

Dave

OAP65

Visit site
You could advertise on Facebook there are a few different pages like Horsey Stuff For Sale In Edinburgh and Lothians, Livery Yards Are Us, just have a search. I quite often see people asking for stables/fields that are not part of a livery yard as such.