DIY livery wanted in Chelmsford, Braintree, Maldon areas

olop

Visit site
You may remember me from the beginning of the year as we relocated from Berks to Essex.

We have been over here for 6 months now but the yard we moved to didnt have a school & as the darker nights have come in I am finding it so difficult with my boy as he thrives on exercise & it is meaning he is only ridden at weekends now & it just doesnt suit us.

Looking for a nice DIY yard with the option of adding services with a floodlit school.
Looked at 2 places at the weekend - some very dodgy rules in place so nothing out of the ordinary please (I could write a rather amusing book of the tales I heard at these 2 yards lol!!)

Had a look in Essex rider & Ingatestone, neither of which had anything that took my eye (except the 2 I visited, but I wont mention names lol)

TIA :)

olop

Visit site
I live in Chelmsford but could do a half hour radius of the town centre (I work in Maldon)

JFTDWS

Visit site
lol - I was doing a double take when I saw it pop up, I thought the other thread had been bought up again, you know the one I mean?!?!? :D :D :D

I thought it was that thread too - I was fascinated to read any further... "Developments" :p Alas this one is dull in comparison :(

JFTDWS

Visit site
I've pulled a link because it's even bizarrer and funnier than I remember. Just for you, joannaallen ;)

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=442514

olop, I just said I hoped it was, so it must be an evil, morally wrong thing to hope for, because I am demonic all the way through ;) :D

oh and further more, I now need livery for the highland next winter as I've come to the conclusion with the weather I NEED a surface to work on, so I have all this to go through now instead of you! I love my field though, so I am def not moving the 2 year old and the old boy though thankfully!

Last edited:

olop

Visit site
Hahaha loving the link, always makes me smile that thread!
Oh dear I do not envy you at all hun, well at least you have the whole summer to find somewhere nice, just whatever you do avoid the Roxwell area, have you seen the post about Newlands on one of the other threads?!?!?! It was posted by a newbie but it doesnt sound pleasant if it is true!

JFTDWS

Visit site
No I haven't seen that! do you remember which thread?!

Worst thing is, cos the other two are radley green, it would be convenient to be in roxwell / norton heath area :/ I really want to move next door, where they appear to have both indoor and outdoor schools, loads of land and stables, but I don't think they're a livery yard :( I wouldn't move back to lightfoots/dukes/newlands etc if you paid me, but tbh I don't think they'd have me :eek:

olop

Visit site
It was an old one that had been bought up by this newbie, I think if you search Chelmsford, bar this thread it should be the next one down. I see they are advertising in Ingatestone again so the story the newbie posted does seem to add up as they have such a high turn around over there.
Ooo which yard has the indoor & outdoor, sounds lovely!
I didnt realise you were in Newney Green, I'm on a little private yard in Writtle now & if only the boy could settle down a bit I am hoping this one is a keeper as its lovely, only on trial here so will have to see how he goes now, hoping restricted turnout & a calmer will sort him out :eek: :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Little bit further away from you than Newney Green, we're in Radley green, but not far at all. If you ever want a hacking buddy... Actually, don't take my up on that right now, I can't hack as I've lost my gate key :eek: (don't even ask!). Radley Green Farm is next door to me and they have a lovely outdoor, but across the road at Nortons I think is also the same land, and a friend of mine posted a photo they said was an indoor there, but not sure if that was a mistake or not :eek: I'm already heart-wrenchingly jealous of the outdoor, if they do have an indoor too, I will probably just cry!

Which yard is it in writtle / where abouts? I think I saw a thread about your lad being a bit psycho there - has he calmed down a bit? Hope it works out - sounds like a good place!

eta - crikey, just seen the post about Newlands :eek: Actually, if the YM is still the one it was when I was there (and its possible from the desc) whilst she's a bit scary, she's actually ok (preferable to certain others in the area for sure!). The grazing is bad - really bad quality and worst of all, really bad fencing. They do have a high livery turnover though :eek:

Last edited:

olop

Visit site
I'm actually pobably a bit far fom you, do you know Nathan's Lane?? We are next to Belsmard Dressage, its not exactly Writtle but close enough :eek:
Yeah that was the thread, psycho is not the word fo "it" at the moment :eek: :D still hasnt calmed down yet but the calmer has only been in him since the weekend so am praying that it takes a while to get into the system otherwise she may well ask us to leave the trouble he has been making the little git :rolleyes:
That yard sounds lovely, pity its not a livery, always the good ones that aren't! I shall keep my eyes peeled in case I hear of anything for you :)

joannaallen

New User
Visit site
only me again, just to say if you hear of anyone (respectable) wanting diy in the maldon area could you point them in my direction. thanks

olop

Visit site
only me again, just to say if you hear of anyone (respectable) wanting diy in the maldon area could you point them in my direction. thanks

Will do - if only you had posted a while back I probably would have snapped it up, good luck :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh yea, I know where you are - I hack in that direction but I don't actually know the area up there well so we'd only end up lost anyway. :eek: Nice place though. Belsmard dr is very posh :D (btw, if you ever hear a story of some v smart people overtaken on a hack by a bog pony and a traditional cob, who faceplanted completely in the mud as they went by, that was me :p Someone in that area must be telling that story in bemusement)

Yea, I imagine the calmer would take a while to kick in - fingers crossed it sorts him out. I'm sure they do it just to be difficult, don't they!

That yard sounds lovely, pity its not a livery, always the good ones that aren't! I shall keep my eyes peeled in case I hear of anything for you :)

Thanks, I'd appreciate that :eek: hoping to go somewhere with dafthoss and her ned so we can ride together etc when she's back for uni next year :)

olop

Visit site
The hacking isnt great to be honest, I have to go all the way over to Barrow Farm to get some decent rides but I guess its better than nothing!
Haha well I havent heard anything so far :p :D :D although there are some very posh ponies around here with equally posh people riding them who think they are above but that is a whole nother story (not the Belsmard lot I may add!!)
No worries, the good yards around here are far & few, but you have all summer to look so fingers crossed for you :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
The hacking isnt great to be honest, I have to go all the way over to Barrow Farm to get some decent rides but I guess its better than nothing!
Haha well I havent heard anything so far :p :D :D although there are some very posh ponies around here with equally posh people riding them who think they are above but that is a whole nother story (not the Belsmard lot I may add!!)
No worries, the good yards around here are far & few, but you have all summer to look so fingers crossed for you :)

There's virtually no bridleways in your area, no (I spend too much time looking at OS maps!) but it's nice enough in the highwood direction at least.

Horsey people with their heads up their backsides :eek: you don't say :eek: :D if you ever hear the story, have a little snigger knowing it was me :eek:

thanks, I hope so! btw, you're not interested in some team dressage - just had a rather desperate call looking for entries to one at Lightfoots (I know, I know, but it's very local and my friend seems to be involved in the organisation and she's ok!) weekend after next? I think the teams are by local village so you probs wouldn't have your score dragged down by being in a team with my bog pony!

olop

Visit site
I do that too - I look on Bing maps almost everyday to see if a new one gets secretly added but alas it doesnt (I lead a very sheltered life lol!!)

Normally I would have jumped at the chance to get out but unfortunately pony's behaviour is that bad at the moment that I just couldnt risk it in public (I just cant get him listening at all at the moment) so it will have to be a no I'm afarid, when he settles down I will be more than up for it though!
Thanks for asking - and good luck!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
That's more logically than staring at my (rather old) OS map in case I've overlooked a perfect track on it somehow at least! :D

I thought that might be the case, but I thought I'd mention it anyway! Oh well, if you unexpectedly get inundated with requests from other liveries for a local dr event, send them my way! (lol, I can't think why you would, but y'know what I mean :p)

olop

Visit site
That's more logically than staring at my (rather old) OS map in case I've overlooked a perfect track on it somehow at least! :D

I thought that might be the case, but I thought I'd mention it anyway! Oh well, if you unexpectedly get inundated with requests from other liveries for a local dr event, send them my way! (lol, I can't think why you would, but y'know what I mean :p)

hehe glad Im not teh only one that does that then :D :D :D
Thanks again hun, will do & if you get another offer like there in a few months or so I will be more than happy (providing the boy is on best behaviour by then!!)

mischamoo

Visit site
Hi all, sorry to jump on the band wagon a bit! But I was looking for a DIY or Assisted in Writtle/Roxwell areas if anyone knows any nice ones….?! Pref with a school!