DIY paying by the kilo - prices?

**Vanner**

Visit site
Hi all,

Have been discussing with friends how their livery price is worked out. Some pay by the kilo for hay, haylage and straw. There was quite a difference.

Do you do this?

How much do you pay?

LeannePip

Visit site
i pay a weekly ammount think its about £20pw? which is paid for monthly for grass livery and when i want a bale of hay (small bale) i pull one down put it to one side and writeon the board what day i opened it then when i get my bill, YO adds on the price of however many bales i have used - this only works because we only have three liverys who do their own hay the rest are full livery so hay is included so YO takes it off the same bales as her horses, so there aren'e hundreds of bales opened for people to get confised with - works well for us as we are a small yard :)

Shooting Star

Visit site
wow, paying by the kg would be a total PITA!

I did view a two yards that included 2 hay nets a day in the price then extra nets up to a certain weight were charged at something like £3 per net ... needless to say didn't go for any of those yards :rolleyes:

I've done a combination of all hay / straw included in the monthly price to having to buy from the yard owner at pre agreed price per bale and also had to source my own and get delivered all of those have worked out ok but the ones where hay & bedding are included have always worked out cheaper as it's been at places where the owner makes their own hay.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We pay for stable, grazing & use of the arena. We buy in haylage in large round bales & split the price between us (only 4 on the yard) & we get that at a good price. As the price is split between us there is no profit to be made by anyone. I used to buy small bale hay but changed over last year & have saved a fortune on feeding. My forage bill is around half that it used to be. The horses love it, the supplier is reliable & will readily take back any bale that has turned. :)