DIY rug repair

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Just sharing a cheap and cheerful quick fix for anyone with a rug trasher!
You will need waxed saddlery thread, upholstery needles, pair of pliers and a bit of patience.
Lay the rug flat and pull the edges of the tear together, to check if a patch from a donor rug is needed.
Line up the edges and fold each edge inwards for about half a centimetre. Hold with paper clips if necessary. Using a ladder stitch, sew along the folded edges. You will need pliers to push the needle through and pull it out again. Gently pull each stitch taught as you sew, and you should end with an invisible seam that looks like a fold.
I have used this method on two or three repairs, and so far they are standing up to rain, mud and being rolled in.
Useful for rugs that you don't particularly want to wash before mending.

little_critter

Visit site
I have a stable rug with around 10 (smallish) rips and tears in it. I started patching them yesterday but then decided that the rug was old, it had more patches than original material (or would have by the time I’d finished patching) so sod it, I bought a new turnout rug (went for turnout for the more durable outer)

Normally I save my old worn out waterproof coats and cut them up to make patches. I don’t use a sewing machine because you’d go through the fill and lining and either make a cold spot or risk water going through the seams (although the candle idea is a good one)
So all patches are hand sewn here….hence giving up and buying new!

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I have a rug trasher, and my annual rug repair bill was getting ridiculous, not to mention being away at the repair shop for ages. And not being as waterproof when they have been washed.
I now spend a bit of time doing running repairs and giving the rug a coat of Fabsil tent waterproofer - paint it on until the rug looks damp, allow to air dry. It has cut the repair bill down to about £15 per year plus my time.
Red1 welcome to cob world!

Andie02

Visit site
Never thought to use wax, good idea ;)

Another useful 'get by' trick on a turnout rug is to tack a rip together with strong thread and then seal it over with a hot glue gun. This method is also a useful tip for sealing tiny nicks and holes which will obviously let water in, no need to sew these first. Be careful not to burn yourself with the hot glue though if you are not used to using a hot glue gun, because it does hurt ! It is best to glue whilst the rug is flat as it will run/spread until it sets otherwise. If you need to seal with hot glue a Rhino, with the separate waterproof under layer, you need to lift the outer layer away from the under layer so as not to melt the under layer, whilst the glue cools down.

Last edited:

Carrottom

Visit site
For small nicks and rips I stick a patch over with copydex. I keep old turnouts to cut up for patches and put the glue on the outer side of the patch for best adhesion.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a rug trasher, and my annual rug repair bill was getting ridiculous, not to mention being away at the repair shop for ages. And not being as waterproof when they have been washed.
I now spend a bit of time doing running repairs and giving the rug a coat of Fabsil tent waterproofer - paint it on until the rug looks damp, allow to air dry. It has cut the repair bill down to about £15 per year plus my time.
Red1 welcome to cob world!
Haha, not him! It was a previous posh horse who would take his rug off over his head if he was too hot. Caught me out a couple or three times when the sun came out!