DIY'ers and holidays?

Pidge

Visit site
Ok so if you have your horse on DIY how do you cope with holidays?
At the last yard we were at there wasn't anyone capable to look after the horses so we left them with our friend at her yard in the Cotswolds where they were looked after very well
grin.gif

At current yard there isn't anyone who would have the time to look after ours if we went away so what would you do? I know we don't tend to go on holidays now, and if we do it's more of a long weekend in the Cotswolds with above friend
grin.gif

Is this normal not to have holidays when horses are on DIY?

amandathepanda

Visit site
I enlist the help of a trusted friend or failing that, put them in a yeard on graining livery for week - that way horsey gets a tune up by a better rider than me & I don't have to worry
grin.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
I was lucky, there was always someone at the yard who would do it as a favour/in return for doing theirs/for payment

If I was really pushed I paid the YO to do mine while I was away, but that only happened once for a weekend I think

BBH

Visit site
The yards I have known have always had people who have provided ' services' cos even though we might not be on holiday there will always be times when help is needed. Failing that I would make arrangements with a trusted friend or send my horse to his trainer for some schooling.

sandr

Visit site
We dont have holidays
grin.gif

Would probably chuck them in the field for a week and get YO to check

bex1984

Visit site
I am going on hol for 5 days soon. Murphy is living out so just needs checking over, feet picking out - there is someone at the yard who does "services" so I'll pay her to do that.

My main problem with him is he can't be left unridden/unexercised for 5 days because he puts on weight so easily. A friend is going to ride him twice in that week - she's never looked after a horse before but I'm sure she'll be fine and there's plenty of people around to help if she gets stuck.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Holiday? What does that mean? It's not a word I know!

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe its something normal people do but cant be sure as never tried it.

Carys

Visit site
I'm lucky to have a very good friend/co-rider who takes over when I'm away but the YO can do some bits (feed/chuck out/etc.) as she used to ride mine before she got an outside job so I'm OK. Failing that I have a friend who's just starting out as a freelance groom/house/horse/pet sitter so hopefully I'll use her when I'm next away !! But don't take many holidays (perhaps every other year for a week).

Maizy

Visit site
If we go away in the summer we leave them in the field and get a trusted friend to look out for them and let the other horsey neighbour know as well.

A few years ago we went away for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year and didn't feel we could ask anyone to come to ours so we took them to a really lovely livery yard a few days before we went and they were very settled together ( I think it helped the fact they used to live at the said yard so were in their old boxes and next to each other a trip down memory lane for my oldies.) It was costly but well worth it so we could really enjoy our holiday and relax!

catembi

Visit site
We went away (for the first time in 3 years) to Badminton this year, & I paid a horse sitter to do the horses. She was really good & reasonably priced, & I felt a lot happier leaving them in the care of someone who has their own livery yard rather than bribing family members to chuck food at them when they're scared of horses & wouldn't recognise an emergency.

Heidi1

Visit site
I share a field at our yard with a very competent person, so she looks after mine and I do hers when she is away, all works out lovely, also the YO & groom are around so they will help if need be..............

lochpearl

Visit site
we have a freelance groom that comes in and does them, although it is expensive I wouldn't let anyone on the yard look after a beetle let alone my horse - they are clueless!! Buy hey ho, I never get a holiday but there are times when you do need a hand and our freelance groom is great.

DiablosGold

Visit site
When I go away at the end of June my cousin (who rides my horse twice a week) will be doing him. If she didn't my YO would have.

LCobby

Visit site
We pay someone to go and see to them, if we have to be away, for main hols, there is just two at grass , not in work, and we take the two in work with us on holiday.