Do ALL grey horses turn white?

Starbucks

Visit site
Probably eventually. My horse was really dark when I got him (age 6) now he's 8 and he's much lighter.
frown.gif

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
Yeah I think so some just hang on to it for longer than others. Molly was rising 7 when I got her and had an almost black mane and tail and lovely dark dapples, her body is now white as is her mane and tail and legs are going that way too.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Mine was black as a 4 year old, with a white blaze and two white socks. At 15 he's a dark fleabitten. During summer he goes paler and in winter he's really really dark.

Im guessing he will be white one day, but hes sure hanging onto his speckles as long as he can. Hes darker atm than the baby greys on the yard
laugh.gif

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Hi there, yes its true, horses with the silver dapple gene will either stay the same or get darker as they get older. A horse with the silver dapple gene doesnt necceserily need to be grey or dappled believe it or not!!!! The silver dapple gene is totally unrelated to dapple grey so they do not "fade" as they get older. For example.......

Inky march 2007

P1020388.jpg

P1020390_edited.jpg

Inky August 2007

nwsc017_edited.jpg

inkyeye048.jpg

Enfys

Visit site
Wow! Stinkbomb, you must have been thrilled when Inky started going darker.
smile.gif
Everytime I see photos I am bowled over by his colour.

I had a grey that was almost completely white at 14 apart from chestnut spots here and there and he was born bright chestnut.

This is my mare Arian (of 'In the Pink' fame), she was 7 at the time but was completely black when she was foaled.
scan0002.jpg

Bossanova

Visit site
My horse started out rose grey, changed to dapple grey and gradually he has started to go flea bitten. He is now pink spotty. I hate it!!

spitchwick

Visit site
This is my mare and foal, the mum used to be darker than her foal,with a black mane and tail and the foal will eventually go grey, in highlands, and I suppose all horses the grey gene is dominant.

IMG_0999.jpg

JadeWisc

Visit site
He is doing wonderful! SO happy at his new place and I guess he is just in LOVE with his new harem! They said he prances around like he owns the place and I am looking forward to seeing his babies in due time if all goes as planned.
smile.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
No purebred arabs are born grey - but many will turn from bay or chestnut to dark grey then go greyer until they are totally white at around 8/9. Then they start to develop flea bites in whatever colour they were born (i.e. bay flea bites if born bay, chestnut flea bites if born chestnut). As they get older they develop more and more fleabites until in their twenties they're almost as dark as they were when a foal.

Jomanser

Visit site
I bought Finny as a 5 year old and he was VERY dark grey with black and brown legs. He is now 18 and whilst much lighter than he was when I bought him all those years ago, he still has the black and brown legs and beautiful dapples all over him. His face has gone greyer and slightly flea bitten but I am really pleased his dapples have stayed with him - so I am of the belief that not ALL greys go completely white