Do grey horses always look awful when first clipped?!

alexomahony

Is it just me, or does anyone else experience issues clipping grey horses?

I just can't seem to avoid lines - my chestnut looks fab after being clipped - shiny, line free and smooth. My grey always comes out looking tram liney and unever. Please tell me it's not just me!

Bernster

But it'll grow out in the next few days :)

I wonder if they have coarser hair? Mine seems to really love a good scratch and has quite itchy hair, which I never noticed with other non grey horses.

Elf On A Shelf

I hate clipping greys! I do think their coats are different from other colours - they stab you more than bays or chestnuts!

I have mever had one come out in lines though!

Ooh yes mine is like this too!! I think it’s the contrast - if you leave a bit more fur in one area it really shows up against the dark skin! Although that fancy brush brand - Haas I think? - has got different brushes for grey coats because they’re coarser apparently. I thought it was just marketing but maybe it’s true

Sasanaskyex

I struggle clipping my grey because it's not always easy to tell which bits I've done so I nearly always have to unpack the clippers again because I realise I've missed a patch! I don't find I get too many lines, I used to but now I've got into the habit of giving her a good bath the day before and then when I clip the clippers just slide through lovely.

This was my horse straight after clipping last winter 3136802C-C885-4656-8132-1E0E3B1E1045.jpeg

Last edited:

alexomahony

Oh this makes me happy! Thank you everyone for responding and settling my mind!I agree I do think it's the contrast of coat and skin colour. Sadly as mine is so nervous of being clipped I have to use trimmers that are basically dog ones- they're super quiet and hardly move so I'm sure they don't help the situation! He looks better already today :) Phew!

Ambers Echo

Dolly looks like a carpet when she's just been clipped. She looks absolutely horrendous. Her skin is different colours underneath so she is mottled and patchy!

MissTyc

I take a step or three back and evaluate from a distance. If it looks OK from there, it will look good within a few days up close. If it looks terrible from a distance, I've really messed up (usually the wrong blades!)

Annagain

Archie in particular has quite a coat. It's almost like he has a downy, fluffy undercoat and then a coarse top layer which makes clipping him very tricky. Monty's coat is much softer and easier to clip but I think that's maybe as he's 5/8 TB. He's also very fleabitten so I'm not sure if he's different sort of grey? He seems to have a much more blue tone to his grey than Arch who is more pink. He doesn't get lines - or maybe the very obvious flea bites he shows when he's clipped mean they distract from the lines!

Fransurrey

I use a medium blade on my piebald and he does seem to have exceedingly coarse hair, although it looks like silk in the sun! I watched a couple of clipping videos to refresh myself on technique and one thing I picked up was the 'hoover technique', which means going back and forth in a fan-like movement over the clipped area, which evens out any tram lines.

tatty_v

This year I’ve sort of cracked it! A2C blades, a pony who has finally stopped being a PiTA about it (!) and going back over my clipped areas at a 90 degree angle. It’s not perfect, but by god it’s a million times better than previous years 😂

Attachments