Do horses get bored of the same route?

Hutchlou

Just wondered if my horse was bored yesterday hacking a familiar route!
She decided to nap after about 15 minutes & was determined that she would sooner rein-back all the way home rather than go forward! (I finally 'won' & we carried on). She was super-keen on Tuesday when I took her on a completely new route!
Both days we were with another horse & she has only been along the familiar route a handful of times.

pottamus

Yep my lad goes into donkey mode on his 'usual' route and is forward and sprightly when boxed somewhere new!

Charlie007

We only have 3 or 4 safe routes to hack so my boy goes on these routes regularly. He seems to gain confidence going on the same routes. He can be a bit nervous when boxed up and ridden elsewhere, fine at shows tho cus he knows whats going on. I suppose it could depend on the type of horse.

Double_choc_lab

We found that when we always rode around a farm they would soon notice anything slightly different - ie coloured weeds, hole in the hedge, and this was a good excuse for a spook. If we rode different new routes - everything was new and somehow they accepted this and weren't so spooky - not sure of the logic. Perhaps it was because they were bored they wanted to do something to cheer themselves up - hence frighten mum!

Booboos

Yep, I find the same thing! They tend to notice anything different on familiar routes and make a huge deal about it, whereas if it's a completely new hack they accept all sorts of weird things as 'normal'.

Clarew22

We found that when we always rode around a farm they would soon notice anything slightly different - ie coloured weeds, hole in the hedge, and this was a good excuse for a spook. If we rode different new routes - everything was new and somehow they accepted this and weren't so spooky - not sure of the logic. Perhaps it was because they were bored they wanted to do something to cheer themselves up - hence frighten mum!
Exactly what I was going to say, we have limited safe hacking so tend to do the same routes mostly, glad its not only my horse that notices the change in undergrowth :D

xmanda90x

Yup I get this too! If we go on different routes he's keen to get on and isn't bothered by much, but head onto a familiar route and it's into donkey mode until he sees something "strange", ie a slightly different coloured leaf or his personal favourite...purple flowers!!:rolleyes:

Double_choc_lab

Yup I get this too! If we go on different routes he's keen to get on and isn't bothered by much, but head onto a familiar route and it's into donkey mode until he sees something "strange", ie a slightly different coloured leaf or his personal favourite...purple flowers!!:rolleyes:

Yep - it was always those purple flowers/weeds - sent by Satan I'm sure:D

bj_cardiff

Yep they certainly do! I'd vary it as much as possible, do the hacks the other way round etc. should make things more interesting!

Cliqmo

Mine already has a "default route" that I use to cool him off and the one I take if I only have time for a short ride. I'm 90% sure if I got on his back and gave no aids whatsoever this is the route he would take me :p :D My boy is happy hacking out anywhere and has oodles of enthusiasm just to be out and about instead of doing circles in the arena :D

rcm_73

I would say depends on the horse! My anxious mare is a stickler for routine and will only relax on a familiar route, take her on a new one and she jogs until she is back in her comfort zone. My other more relaxed mare enjoys changes of scenery & can get mule-ish on familiar routes!

Hullabaloo

Yep, I find the same thing! They tend to notice anything different on familiar routes and make a huge deal about it, whereas if it's a completely new hack they accept all sorts of weird things as 'normal'.
I have this too. He is also more likely to be naughty if its one of our short routes that he knows well. He tends to save his energy a bit more on the longer ones.