Do horses get scared in the dark????

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Went evening showjumping, everyone I took bu**ered of when we got back to the yard, gave May her tea, put her rug on, went out the end of the stable block and turned the lights off, and she had a lil panic and spook! walked round the yard to the gate and she seemed genuinely a bit scared!! Got to the field ok and she trotted off to find her friend, so I went back up the yard to lock up.

Did'nt think they were bothered! Made me nervous too, cos it was quite dark!!!
crazy.gif

Oh, and she was a really good girl in the jumping, 2nd in the novice, and had a pole in the JO of the Open (my fault, was busy concentrating on how to get round to fence two, and did'nt concentrate on the first one!)

RunToEarth

Visit site
I always hate turning out into dark, I think they feel abit disorientated because they havnt been there to watch it get dark, if you get what I am meaning, but with summertime there is a lot of evening sj going on so it cant be helped, can it
smile.gif
When I turned Oshk out yesturday he spooked when I stroked him in the dark, silly lad!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Nah once their eyes adjust to the light condition, they can see much better than us. Anyway if it's so dark you can't see the bogey man, he can't see you either (well thats what I've been telling myself for years!!!!!!)

Governor

Visit site
It seems to be in sudden changes from light to dark.

In which case i've heard the nature of the rods + cones in horses eyes means they're slow to adapt to sudden changes in light.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to be in sudden changes from light to dark.

In which case i've heard the nature of the rods + cones in horses eyes means they're slow to adapt to sudden changes in light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, that would explain it. Will go back and turn the lights off next time!

parsley

Visit site
I was wondering this as in the winter (when its dark by the time I can ride) I was thinking that instead of riding in the school (which we hate) we could go for a walk on a track that goes around the field as it would be safe enough in the dark.

Well done with your jumping
cool.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
i dunno i think there is a case for them being scared of the dark, if you think about it bad loaders hate dark enclosed trailers they suggest you open doors windows etc to get as much light in as possible, yes to make it appear bigger but also less scary if its not dark.
I think there fine after they get used to it, but there is no reason why they cant be more spooky!

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would suspect it is a smell that is spooking your horse rather than the dark. Scent becomes more distinct at night.