Do I dont I...

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Awhile ago i posted about selling my horse box, and changing what i had as transport..

well i advertised said lorry lots of intrest, but have been offered a swap.

diatsue (sp) four track, 1996 with private number plate, 12 months mot 1 years tax. 68k on clock, is higher end of models with leather seats/air con

has 4 new tyres, just had clutch done and has service history as well as breaks done, in EXCELLENT conditon.

along with rice europa trailer.

swapping for 3.5ton ford transit lorry m reg 6 months mot 1 months tax.

i advertised lorry at 3.5k

now i kind of need the cash hence selling lorry.. I DONT want to sell lorry but again finaces dictate.

my car needs mot and tax this month (as in next week) and i know its going to cost it already needs a tyre, and im thinking brakes.

the 4 x 4 is needed for this winter. the trailer i would sell on to relise some funds i need. having the 4 x 4 with tax and mot meens i could sorn my car for a couple of months.

BUT i think really the fourtrack isnt worth the 3.5k i want for the lorry..

arggggggggggggggggggggg but it gets me out of a hole..

oh and one of the reasons for selling the box is my 3 yr old is at 16.2 and although has head height he struggles to turn in my box.. he is a big horse..

so do i swap or not..

Geraldine

Visit site
The Fourtrack has a fab towing capacity - 3.5 tonne (we have one) - BUT if you are considering it get the sills and the floor checked for rust/holes. These are the places that are most affected - MOT or not!

If you are swapping to a 4x4 and trailer then I would highly recommend a Fourtrack. They're not pretty but they're the best towing 4by by far. OH says if it's tidy it would be around £3.5K - worth thinking about if a trailer is part of the package. :D

ladyt25

Visit site
Hmm, well Fourtraks of that age are going for £2000+so I guess that and trailer would be round about the £3000 markso, if that's what you were looking to change to anyway then I would say it probably is a fair swap to be honest. We just bought an old K reg Fourtrak for bashing about the field for about £600 but anything newer was getting up to £1000 and above on ebay. 1996 models (that's P reg isn't it) were definitely being bid for over and above £2000.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I love out 4 track before and yes I know they are good work horses, i prefure the discoveries BUT im so short and always felt the discovery for was to big for me to drive,

the 4track i drove over dartmoor and loved it! also i live in the city and its much easier to park a short wheel base!

I did have a look about and prices ranged from 650-3k

having the 4 x 4 for the winter is really needed, horses are towards the more and although only 7 miles away its nasty road much of which is hilly and bended and do NOT get gritted!

the trailer im not fussed about as already worked out for the 6 months of the year i compete general 1.5 times a month its worth borrowing/hiring.

JenHunt

Visit site
I would go for it if the trailer is good - I have a 1996 fourtrak which is nowhere near as good condition as the one you've been offered sounds like. Mine has 130k on the clock and is a wonderful work horse! It tows my 2 big horses in an old, wooden 3 horse trailer, up and down hills with ease (I live on the edge of the moors, and hunt in them!). It coped with all the snow last year without needing to go into 4wd for all but a few patches!

the one thing to check would be the radiator - they have a habit of corroding at the bottom due to the shape of them (apparently!) but they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. I had mine done at a cost of around £180 inc vat and labour.

I get 35mpg for normal driving, and 20ish when towing (in 4wd as it feels more stable)

ETA - if you don't really need the trailer you could always sell that on to help the cashflow, and you still get the fourtrak and "sell" your wagon.

PM me if you need more info/help

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
LOL i obviousley cant say the actul plate but its usless inless you have a fourtrack.

just waiting to here back from person, she wanted me to take lorry to a meeting point so we could view each others and go from there..

I wove my ickle lorry. damn you horse for being so big and damn you world oh and horses for skinting me out lol

Piglit

Visit site
Ummm...do you have some pics of your lorry cos I might be interested. £3.5 is about what I was hoping to spend, BUT I wasn't really going to start looking seriously until after Christmas. However, I am keeping half an eye out just in case something brilliant comes up.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
lorrym.jpg

m reg under 120k on clock 6 months mot, flew last mot 2.5 diesel.

it is stalled for 4 ponies:eek: herringbone but travels 2 large horses well.
had cambelt changed/breaks done 2 new tyres 1 year ago.

1.2 ton pay load, rubber matted in horse area. 7.5 foot head area for horses..

really well built, and very light in side windows either side with added ventelation holes.

seats on driver side are tatty and normal wheel arch rust.

has a limiter on set at 55mph.. lorry always starts and is fab to drive has been up to 3 counties show ground from devon and just sat at 55 and kept going!

as i said i love this box.

ive used the area above cab as storage and have put up saddle racks and bridle rack in area nearest to cab.,