Do I keep him?

loopeepee

Visit site
Right, I've had my horse a month now. But reality is beginning to dawn on me, and I no longer know what to do. I am a student, on my gap year, and Im going to Argentina in February for 10 weeks. I am having to finace a large portion of this - the other part a sponsor is kindly paying.

Now please dont think of me as someone who has taken on a horse without thinking of the consequences. I have had horses in the past, and managed to pay for them by myself - this was the only condition that I was allowed to keep them. I do not get an allowance - I have always worked hard and managed.
However, my conscience (and mother!) is beginning to kick in.
I have 2 major jobs at the moment, plus hostessing work for Toyota (like I'm doing tomorrow), grooming work and also babysitting. Therefore I do bring in the money, but as we all know . . horses are bottomless pitts.
I have also just been accepted at University, and therefore need to earn as much as possible because my living expenses etc will be financed my myself. I know I will be able to work when I get back from Argentina - however, every little helps.
At the moment, my mum - thank you so much mum - is paying the £20 p/w DIY livery, plus one bale of shavings, but everything is else is paid for by myself. Luckily, his owner is an instructor in our local PC, and therefore gives me lesson. About once a week tops. Im very greatful of this, as it means I dont have to pay someone else, and she likes watching someone else ride her horse.
But there's the thing, I CANT ride him. He is the heaviest horse I have ever ridden. And I've ridden him wrong - something of which I am totally ashamed about and have felt like crawling into a hole over - and have split his mouth. He ahs pulled, and I have pulled - something I will never, ever do again. Luckily that is healing fine, and he seems fine in himself. But it is still something I am heartbroken about as I would never mean to hurt a horse ever - they mean too much to me, and having him of loan I thought would be the best thing ever. I have had such a long break, and the prospect of 'playing' means the world to me. I adore going up, seeing him in the morning, mucking out etc. I have waited so long and cherish every minute - I know how corney that sounds, but is really is the truth.
He is so heavy, and so set in his ways (he's 13). The word ignorant describes him perfectly. If he doesnt want to do something, he will damn well make sure he wont do it. And that is one thing I cant abide in a horse. He is not a small horse, and at 16.1 / 16.2 he carries a lot of weight and muscle bulk. I really am not wanting to have that 'mess' with me. Now, again, please dont get the impression I am bulshy or nasty with my horses, Im not at all - but they have to have manners, otherwise things could easily get dangerous.
He has done plenty of schooling in the past, and whilst under instruction, have had him go nicely. But still that heavy on the left rein. I've tried dropping the rein and letting him find his balance - he falls out and couldnt care less if his balance was topot! I've tried softening the rein and riding from leg leg to outside hand. This should work in theory, but leg = speed, and hand = stop. He hunted all last season, and owner feels he wants to rely on the martingale (which isnt there now!), and just wants to hunt again.
I have been doing lots of transitions whilst riding. Lots of walk to halt every session, then trot to walk to halt again. He was very good for 5 mins, and the rest of the time is just not fun at all. Now I know when I took him on, I was not in for an easy ride - this would be the same for all horses. But everytime I am riding him, I get the feeling that what Im doing is wrong, and we are going nowhere. Yes, 4 weeks is a short time to see any changes, but I have got an idea of what everything is going to progress too. Because of this issue with the heavyness - which I believe has a large part based in balance issues - he is going to be bloody strong hunting, which is what I got him for.
I just really want to have fun, which is what I do have when I am on the ground 'messing' around, but riding is a different ball game. A man hunted him . . in a pelham, and still found him strong. This is making me think: 'What hope have I got!?'

This has progressed on to me telling you what he is like to ride - but I have had to say this in order for you to get an idea of my predicament. I was told in the beginning that if it wasnt to work out, then he can go to his owner (that is where he would be going back too in Feb - not where I got him from (the guy that hunted him!) )

I just don't know what to do. I am beginning to feel like my efforts are not going to be rewarded. I adore having a horse again, I really do, but I just dont know whether to keep him. I dont want to give up, and I dont want to let anyone down - especially Frankie, but I'm beginning to wonder whether he would get more out of someone else riding him, rather than me. And maybe I would get more out of staying on the ground grooming, which although I love, is bitter sweet because I want to be able to ride as well.

One confused and muddled Illus of the South, in need of some advice. Please tell me what you think - but please be gentle. I'm a soppy cow, and dont like it when people thing wrong of me.

Bess

Visit site
What about just hacking him to build up fitness and then go hunting with him, have some fun and forget about schooling meantime?

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I think everyone goes through this with a new horse - I had all this with Murphy - is he right is he not right.
Very few people have theluxury of being sure about a horse straight away!

I suggest you give him a bit longer - get to know him even better and you might be suprised what happens. You sound like a really good rider and kind - so Im sure you can get over anything given time and the right help!

Bert&Maud

Visit site
Having had the "wrong horse" myself once, I know exactly what you are going through. We all know that they involve HUGE amounts of time, money and commitment, but if you wake up each morning looking forward to your ride (and that is after all what MOST of us have them for - they are very expensive if you just want a pet) all of the effort is worthwhile. I think that if you read your post again you will see that most of your comments about this particular horse are negative. Your decision must not be based on what anyone else will think, such as owners etc, but on your own "gut" feeling, and reading between the lines I don't think your heart is in it. I now have the right horse (currently off the road!!) who I adore, and although I am permanently knackered and skint I would not change him for the world!

Natalie_H

Visit site
I would give it a bit longer. I have had MASSIVE problems with my horse - he is terribly difficult at times, but there came a make or break lesson with my instructor when she said I could either pursue the schooling route & be prepared for a lot of hard work & difficult lessons, or just let him be a happy hack. I am stubborn though, so persisted & it has really paid off & taught me so much at the same time. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

loopeepee

Visit site
All the hacking around us is roads. . . I do do a fair amount, 2 or 3 times a week. This was one of the reasons why I did a Roadwork thread the other week, asking about how much people do etc and how much is too much.
Although, he still can have spolit brat moments.

He is perfectly safe to ride in the school (RoL was going to come and ride before the whole mouth incident) as long as you are not asking anything of him. (Dont think I was about to put her on some mad horse please!)

merlinsquest

Visit site
Im not sure the original query was about is he the right horse, more do i really want/need a horse at all at the moment!!!

If that is the case then really it does not matter what he is like, any horse would be the wrong one at the moment.

You sound young and therefore have your whole life ahead of you to get the right horse at the right time, so really I would say this is the wrong horse and the wrong time.

Hope i read the post correctly but if not excuse me as its late and i am typing over my eye bags!!!

Louby

Visit site
I think from what you have written means that deep down you have made your mind up. It sounds that although you love having a horse, he just isnt the one for you as you have so many doubts and dont sound like you are enjoying him at all. If you kept him who would be looking after him whilst you are away?
Do whats best for you and the horse, dont worry what anyone else thinks or says. Its hard I know, Im a softy too!

loopeepee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think that if you read your post again you will see that most of your comments about this particular horse are negative. Your decision must not be based on what anyone else will think, such as owners etc, but on your own "gut" feeling, and reading between the lines I don't think your heart is in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is just such a bugger to ride when you want something out of him. He just knows how to annoy you - and trying not to loose my temper proved to be impossble - hence mouth, and drastic amounts of embarrassments. On the ground, 3/4's of the time he is a darling. I lunged today, then unclipped him and walked away after patting him. He followed . . I turned and he turned. I ran and he trotted (even over poles).
It something like that which makes me think.

loopeepee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you kept him who would be looking after him whilst you are away?

[/ QUOTE ]

He would be going back to his owner then - this was the agreement in the beginning
smile.gif

Louby

Visit site
Thats good.
I do think horses try you out when you fisrst get them, my boy was an angel for a few weeks, then once he found his feet he started really trying it on and I ended up in hospital!! We sort of compromised then and things improved.
If this horse has been used mainly for hunting and hacking only then schooling will be really difficult for him
You say he's really sweet on the ground so maybe with time the schooling will improve. I'd say if you really dont know what to do then give it more time, enjoy hacking and take the schooling slowly.
Good luck

ginniebee

Visit site
It really does take a good 6 months for you to truley get to know a new horse, you must ask your self do i look forward to riding him, or does your stomach sink at the mere thought of it. The only advice that i can give is to take things slowly, and be firm but fair, of course he'll take the pee for a while, hes just testing you out!!! stick to doing the things that your both good at and always try and end what your doing on a positive note, that way youll both look forward to working together next time/

Wishing you lots of luck
x

Happytohack

Visit site
Reading your post, I think it is not the right time for you to take on a horse - all horses need a long time to settle with a new owner/loaner and a month is no time at all. It seems you have alot going on in your life at the moment. TBH, if the horse is going back in Feb, I would send him back now and you can then concentrate on your future. It would be best for him and for you.

Sooty

Visit site
Top marks for working so damned hard to keep your horse, and for going to Argentine for 10 weeks - what a fantastic opportunity. I am of the feeling that it may be a blessing in disguise that this horse isn't perfect for you. You are young and free, now is a good time in your life to have no ties, and to be able to go and have fun and as much experience of different things as possible. My advice would be to give up the horse, and maybe consider getting one at some point in the future. Who knows where your gap year will lead...? Plus, horses are indeed money pits. Hard enough to deal with when you are working full time!

filly190

Visit site
I think you are really beating yourself up about this situation, you have gone into it with your eyes open and been realistic and honest.

I think firstly, your career and work commitments have to come first, as this is your future. You are a hard worker and no one can knock you for your commitment to this horse and the agreement you have with the owner. I think you have taken on a little too much and time is the major thing you are going to struggle with.

I would perhaps consider talking to the owner and handing the horse back, so that the finance and responsibility become the owners again, but offer to come and ride the horse as a favour.

That way, you are still giving a commitment to ride, but on your terms, which will fit in with your new life. I am sure you will still keep in contact with the horse and perhaps be offered other rides from that yard. Its lovely to have your own horse and be in control etc of how everything is going, but I think you have to come first. This is the most important part of your life and it seems to be the timing is little off balance with everything else thats going off in your life.

I would be more inclined to ride for people (or this particular horse) without the fincial and time commitments.

I have a friend that comes and rides one of my horses and I pay everything and do the work, she helps as much as possible, but this works very well for both of us.

leanne123

Visit site
i really feel for you, its hard when you feel so strongly for a horse and are unable to relax and enjoy your riding together.
i'm the same with my horse i've had him 5 months and only rode him 6 times. the first couple of times i really enjoyed riding him, even hacking out didn't bother him. then i had a fall from him (it was a big drop as hes 18.3hh) and he stood on me breaking a rib and leaving me with a big horse shaped lump on my thigh.
after 3 weeks i got back on him and just couldn't relax which in turn made him change into a gibbering mountin of horse underneath me. totally lost my confidence in both myself and him. i couldn't sleep at night, the day before i was planning to ride him even though we were only going into a small secure sand school. everyone at the yard thinks i should sell him as i'm not doing myself any favours as its gonna take a while to improve him.
a couple came to the yard to try another horse on the yard and the hubbie fell for my big lad and asked if i would sell him.
he tried him in the school, the first word i said to him was don't put too much leg on him as hes sharp. he gave him a sharp kick to the ribs and my horse went carrearing down the school grunting.you can proberbly guess what happened then.
now i've really made up my mind hes going nowhere.

it sounds to me as though you've already decided that hes not the right horse for you as most of your thoughts about him are negative. your going away soon.
don't put yourself down as you sound as though you really feel for him.
good luck with whatever you decide.