Do I leave or tidy?

Ceriann

Visit site
This is my little charity companion mare who has become my riding horse after being backed recently. She's doing brilliantly (despite my failings!) and is a real sweetie. She's super hairy and I've spent hours with a shedding blade (she hates clippers) and have thinned her mane and tail a little (both have suffered mishaps in the last couple of years so are growing back in some shape or form). We might manage some intro tests this year but no real plans other than to enjoy her and riding again (post a mare who caused me a few injuries, which I'm still recovering from). Most who see her think I should tidy her up completely as she's not heavy boned and has a fine head. Thoughts?!

Last edited:

Greylegs

Visit site
She looks a real sweetie. I think I'd be tempted to try and tidy her legs up a bit if you can get her to let you near them, but leave everything else. Good luck with her.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Off with the hair! :D (You did ask :) )

If you hate it trimmed, it will grow back :)

My vet came to sedate my boy so I could clip his legs properly. He tried to kick her inna head, but we got there. Like Enfys says, it'll grow back. Ideally, I'd like mine clean and hairless, but I can't go near the legs without sedation and there's no way I'm sedating just for my convenience again.

Hairy horror:
IMAG0531.jpg

Clipped out:
DSC00114.jpg

Last edited:

Ceriann

Visit site
My vet came to sedate my boy so I could clip his legs properly. He tried to kick her inna head, but we got there. Like Enfys says, it'll grow back. Ideally, I'd like mine clean and hairless, but I can't go near the legs without sedation and there's no way I'm sedating just for my convenience again.

I was planning on working on the clipper fear before next winter - she sweats like crazy so can't be left hairy really. If I do it now it will require sedation and honestly I'll get someone to do it (I will faff!!).

Pie's mum

Visit site
Aw she looks really sweet. Similar build to my boy - and I much prefer him pulled and trimmed. He has to be sedated to be clipped - but I do his legs with scissors and a comb. So my vote is off with it!

Ceriann

Visit site

Hairy horror:
IMAG0531.jpg

Clipped out:
DSC00114.jpg

Only just seen the pics - he def looks better clipped! He's lovely. Do you have to thin his mane?

Ceriann

Visit site
Aw she looks really sweet. Similar build to my boy - and I much prefer him pulled and trimmed. He has to be sedated to be clipped - but I do his legs with scissors and a comb. So my vote is off with it!

Now that sounds like a compromise - she doesn't mind scissors (that's required some work) so I might be go for the chop that way!

LHIS

Visit site
I'm going to wave the flag for leave her as she is. I am a self proclaimed lover of the hairier beasties, and own one just like yours (he's a little heavier set but not much) and his hairy bits will be staying that way! I think their legs look very odd without the feather, it makes their bodies look like barrels on stalks.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Leave it! I clipped my cob mare out completely last year, feather the lot, thinned her tail and clipped out the underside of her mane. She looked nice in a way, but I've regretted it ever since and now she looks a right state as its all growing back in, plus her dock seems to have become REALLY itchy as the thinned tail grows back (bit like when it grows back in after you shave downstairs I would imagine - poor lass!)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I like a naked look myself but I wouldn't bother if it required sedation.

Hairy:
C448747F-AEAA-4D4C-BFE8-2BBB404D5E91_zpssdzcnwao.png

Super smooth:

7C7FFF88-3075-48A1-BFEA-522536296BA0_zpsp7h4uzjr.jpg

She needs clipped more than once a month to maintain that look hence I wouldn't do it if it needed sedation as I don't like the stubbly look personally.

rachk89

Visit site
I wouldn't bother now. She will moult it out anyway so if she needs sedation save her the hassle and keep grooming. I am removing hair everytime I groom my horse with a shedding blade and he is beginning to look better. Less like a bear which isn't a good look on a half warmblood. He will still be the hairiest horse at his show in 2 weeks time lol.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I too wouldn't bother if you need to sedate her, she looks perfectly nice as she is and growing back fuzz looks ridiculous if you can't keep on top of it regularly. Work on the clipper thing over the summer/next autumn and then see.

Ceriann

Visit site
I wouldn't bother now. She will moult it out anyway so if she needs sedation save her the hassle and keep grooming. I am removing hair everytime I groom my horse with a shedding blade and he is beginning to look better. Less like a bear which isn't a good look on a half warmblood. He will still be the hairiest horse at his show in 2 weeks time lol.
I've been doing this for weeks and downy hair under her belly never goes! Or her hairy legs! I might just try and trim it all back with scissors.

Ceriann

Visit site
one things for sure, bare or hair your little mare has certainly landed right on her hoofs. She looks lovely.

Thank you! She came to me almost two years ago as a short term loan (to get her stronger for backing) and never left. She's got such a lovely nature, I'm very lucky to have her.

Ceriann

Visit site
I too wouldn't bother if you need to sedate her, she looks perfectly nice as she is and growing back fuzz looks ridiculous if you can't keep on top of it regularly. Work on the clipper thing over the summer/next autumn and then see.

I wont sedate her regularly for looks - I'll be starting with an electric toothbrush (for noise etc) but I've. Got my work cut out on that!!

Antw23uk

Visit site
I feel your pain on the clipper reaction! :( Something to work on though I guess :) I would say off with the hair and I would use a comb and scissors which can still give a really nice look. Good luck she looks super lovely :)

rachk89

Visit site
I've been doing this for weeks and downy hair under her belly never goes! Or her hairy legs! I might just try and trim it all back with scissors.

Oh yeah it will take forever. I have only just started noticing a difference after a few weeks of hair removal. But he is starting to get annoyed when i use the shedding blade which tells me he is becoming more sensitive with lack of hair or at least that's my logic. I wish I could trim his legs with scissors but I would be at risk of stabbing him he doesn't even like the noise of scissors. I dunno what his old owner did to him to make him like this.

Ceriann

Visit site
This, I love a neat hogged/pulled/clean legged cob, I think she could pull it off :D

She's not chunky enough to hog plus I hate the idea of the Mohican as it grows back! Think I'll start with a very good trim (better put a day to one side) and go from there!

pennandh

Visit site
I mean, if she was mine, I'd get rid of all the feather, but I'm in an area of very heavy clay; so full feather is just a complete nightmare in the winter. Even H's little heel-tufts are sometimes sufficient to be quite awkward, tbh, but the Highland must keep his tufts because them's the rules for showing.

She does look very pretty as is, though, and if you've got suitable mud levels for keeping a feathery horse there's certainly no harm in leaving the hairy bits on, at least 'til you've had chance to work on the clipper-phobia.

Ceriann

Visit site
She comes home from the training yard next Saturday so I'll be able to tackle her daily. I might try a bit of thinning and trimming first and see where we go. Electric toothbrush ordered - clipper training will begin soon!