Do I need a 400 stable rug

Xmas lucky

Visit site
There is a sale on rugs and there is a 400 stable rug for 50 euro . Part of me thinks it’s way to warm and the other part of what happens if we are snowed in and I ended up regretting not buying it. convinced me out of buying this rug. I know logically I probably won’t need it.

Laurac13

Visit site
I’ve never used a 400g rug the max is 200g for a trace clipped
I’d get something lighter that you could pop under another if needed unless you live somewhere especially freezing ?

Carrottom

Visit site
I wouldn't buy one, if overnight temperature is really low I prefer to put another rug on top. Probably only a couple of weeks in the last 10 years.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you are planning moving your horse into a paddock north of Alaska then yes, if you aren't then don't waste your money. As one person has said you can layer rugs if you need to really rug up your horse. I've got 3 horses and the heaviest rug we use is 300gm and that's not used very often. There are plenty of things you will need to buy so keep your money for better things.

asmp

Visit site
No. Take a look at the secondhand websites and see all the ones that are being sold because they’re never used!

Britestar

Visit site
Much as my two 24yr old TBs would love that, not even they wear anything that thick. If its really cold and windy, they get a 'vest' on under their 280g full necks.

I'm Dun

Visit site
It depends on the horse. I've had ponies who never get rugged and some that are rugged to the eyeballs. No one can answer, only you know what rugs your horse needs. I do have a 400gm liner and have used it a lot with a fully clipped horse living out. A liner would be a better bet and they come up second hand, unused and dirt cheap as they arent popular :)

Lady Jane

Visit site
No, you are better off with liners. Cheaper, more flexible and much easier to wash. That's why you get the heavy weight stable rugs in sales

SEL

Visit site
I used mine once - Beast from the East with a stable that had snow blowing into it.

She does have an outdoor one at that weight, but she's got a myopathy so more likely to need it if she's out 24:7

atropa

Visit site
I dont think anyone needs a 400g stable rug but admittedly I have three good doers
As others have said I've never had to use more than 300g and even thats only when it starts getting down to minus double figures.
Ask on Facebook though, there seem to be loads of people on there already layering up multiple rugs :eek:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
There is a sale on rugs and there is a 400 stable rug for 50 euro . Part of me thinks it’s way to warm and the other part of what happens if we are snowed in and I ended up regretting not buying it. convinced me out of buying this rug. I know logically I probably won’t need it.
I use a 400 grm if mega cold.

I am one who will not put more than 2 layers on, I don't want to weigh my horse down with endless rugs so he cannot move or has to carry the weight all night.

I got rid of most stable rugs, and every most weights so all I add is an under rug with the equivalent t/o job done.

Visit site

I use a 400g rug! I don’t like layering up more than a big rug and a liner. My horse does get cold though. I’ve used mine the past two years, I think it’s a gallop Trojan. It’s a lovely rug and doesn’t feel really heavy. Sorry not much help in talking you out of getting it!!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I had a 400g turnout rug as I fully clipped Kia for showing and he did stay out at night during the dry cold weather. I tend to leave turnout rugs on even in the stable as they dry better on the horses. I only change into ‘jammies’ (stable rugs) if they are going to be in for a few days due to weather or any other factor (injury/boxrest etc) but they will be colder in a stable as they cannot Move about as much.

Faran has 2 x 200g turnout, a standard and combo, 2 x 200g stable rugs, same again and a 350g turnout incase it’s gets really cold like it did last year and the beast from the east years ? the combos are hand me downs from previous horses
And the standards I bought this year.

If you think you will need it but it. My yard is pretty exposed so gets really cold.