Do I need a balancer?

wiglet

Visit site
At the moment my ISH just gets a round stubbs scoop of molasses free Healthy Hoof and half a scoop of dry Fast Fibre (soaked with water before feeding). Along with a carrot, this is what she gets morning and night.

If you read the feed bags, she should be having both feeds in larger qtys to ensure she has all the necessary vits and mins... but she doesn't NEED more feed - she's a good doer :)

So, does she need balancer?
My veteran has Progressive Earth ProHoof - brilliant stuff and I have tried her with this but, she won't eat it. Have tried adding a tiny amount then building it up but, the most I can get her to eat is half the recommended amount.

Is there something else I could try? Am not bothered if it's a pelleted balancer (TopSpec/Baileys/Blue Chip) or a powdered one, just as long as she eats it!!

What does everyone else use?

Thank you :)

jenni999

Visit site
Your horse may be one of those that doesn't need anything else. But I have been a fan of Top Spec for years and my horses are all on it. I have tried others, Blue Chip sent them doolally, they wouldn't eat Equilibria. Might be cheaper to give a powdered general vit/min product. But Top Spec will make your horse look great :)

wiglet

Visit site
Yes, jenni999, I thought a powdered product would be the cheapest way to go!
I have seen the Feedmark one on offer so that's maybe a contender.
Amandap - what's the powdered balancer you feed? PM if you prefer :)

Thanks

amandap

Visit site
I use Forage Plus hoof health balancer now. I've been using FP ones for about 3 years now. They aren't cheap but have higher levels of minerals than most (??all) others I know of and I have a horse that has had serious hoof problems in the past. FP are also based on average UK forage deficiencies and excesses.

ps. I also feed micronised linseed as mine spend good amounts of time off grass.

Last edited:
Visit site
Mine is on top spec along with chaff and unmollassed beet in the winter. Its madness what some feed companies suggest feeding to get the required amount, balancers are perfect and low sugar/starch and you know they are getting everything for all round heath.

UKa

community.webshots.com
I have been converted to using a balancer but now swear by them. Or you can supplement with a vit/min supplement - balancers have the advantage that they take care of the gut too, making sure your horse digests what he eats properly, I believe.