do i need back shoes?

diggerbez

Visit site
V only has front shoes on...his feet are brill and he probably doesn't even need the fronts on but i thought i better had fr stud purposes...will i be ok going XC without back shoes/studs?

MegaBeast

Visit site
Whilst I'be happy to go xc at low heights without back shoes I don't know if I'd fancy studding in front and not behind. Could be totally wrong but if the front end grips more than the back then you could end up with his hind feet sliding into his front on landing. Thinking about it logically I'd normally put bigger studs in behind than in front and would have thought that no studs behind would be the opposite to the norm. Although barefoot behind might be grippy enough not to.

think I'm just waffling, will be interesting to see what others have to say

MissSBird

Visit site
Our fell pony used to have just front shoes on. She did a lot of jumpcross last summer and we did find she was slipping a bit. Not badly but enough to make her hesitate on larger spreads (she prefers uprights to spreads regardless). After chatting to the farrier he advised putting back shoes on before trying studs. We tried this and for the 1 remaining Jumpcross competition it made a big improvement and my sister felt she was much happier jumping the spreads. Was quite a dry day, however, but on first impressions it did make a difference.

millitiger

Visit site
it depends how balanced he is as well?

Vinnie will be staying without shoes this year as he is only going to be playing around at the xc course over little fences (he is also unshod in front though).

diggerbez

Visit site
hmm...interesting.... he's naturally very balanced for a 4/5 year old. i jumped a lot at camp last summer (over intro sized stuff) with only front shoes on and no studs and he was fine, but then it was very wet.... my farrier is up on friday, might see what he thinks....
crazy.gif

georgiegirl

Visit site
my rising 5yo doesnt have back shoes on at the moment but she will do soon for when the 'on grass' competitions start. You dont want a yougster slipping and frightening themselves.

Also I only tend to stud up behind (unless its very slippy) as the front legs do need a bit of 'give' when landing. (also......its two less studs to make a hole in you should the worst happen - morbid thinking there sorry!)
smirk.gif

alwaysbroke

Visit site
D_K has a horse that is very difficult to shoe behind, he is a shiver who finds it impossible to hold a back leg up for longer than 30 secs!
We discussed this with the farrier years ago and as it seemed cruel to keep trying to fit shoes behind he has gone without for nearly 8 yrs. Farrier explained that the frog is designed to be a natural grip pad, the way it is wedge shaped helps to stop the horse slipping. Sir has run up to prenovice with no shoes behind, and has schooled over much larger tracks. Ok we are careful what ground he runs over, but have never had a problem with him.

Because of him 4 of the others only have fronts, including my youngster. 11h pony is unshod all round, only J is fully shod, he arrived with 4 shoes and have kept this up as he may get a bit sore behind making the transition and we want to keep him in work.

HannahHDEventing

Visit site
This is really interesting I had this this discussion with my farrier yesterday. I have got a rising 5yo and he is still wearing front shoes only. I am going to Lucinda Green clinic on Monday and Tuesday next week which will be on grass, but only over little stuff. He is very balanced and will only be jumping little things, with no tight turns etc, so we thought it was better to leave him without, rather than introducing back shoes and therefore studs which he is not yet used to. Last season I took him xc schooling and he was just fine.
However, before he starts eventing he will have back shoes on and I will stud him up.

K8x

Visit site
I evented one of my TB's for a season up to PN with no hind shoes on. It was actually the dressage which was the hardeest as its the tight turns that are the problem. He started to lose a little bit of confidence xc so we put hinds on for him as the increased speed and technicality at Novice made it too slippy (he only has little feet!!) He has his hinds off now and will have them put back on next month ready to event. I strongly believe that their feet need time to "heal" without shoes every year if possible, means their feet are generally pretty good throughout the rest of the year too!

diggerbez

Visit site
its sounding like i need some backs on then before too long...will leave it this time as he's coming on friday but will get them on next time which will be about eventing time. i'm doing a HT in march but planning on doing it in trot and very slow canter so just won't stud at all....
smile.gif