Do I need to test my HitAir jacket?

Illusion100

Visit site
How long can an "active" cannister be safe for? Had mine years and still has original cannister in it.

All looks in great condition.

Can't find any info online about when to change them other than when they are set off.

Tried setting it off today for a test but failed. Friend tried. They failed. Not keen on jumping off a gate with lanyard attached as an experiment....

Is it still good to go?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The gas canister will last until it's punctured. My current one is 8 years old, I think. You can't test them anyway, once they're punctured they're dead.

ETA you could take it out and look at it if you're concerned. It should be obvious if it's corroded. If you want to be sure it's still full, weigh it on a scales with grams on it and compare it to a new one.

The air bag should be tested once in a while though, so if you haven't fallen off then that's probably overdue.

Illusion100

Visit site
I have a couple of spare canisters, just couldn't get the jacket to set off! (Wanted to know what it felt like as well!)

The whole jacket is in great condition. It's just I didn't know if once a cannister was fitted to jacket, if it needed replaced after a certain amount of time even if not activated.

Guess I'll give them a call

Birker2020

Visit site
How long can an "active" cannister be safe for? Had mine years and still has original cannister in it.

All looks in great condition.

Can't find any info online about when to change them other than when they are set off.

Tried setting it off today for a test but failed. Friend tried. They failed. Not keen on jumping off a gate with lanyard attached as an experiment....

Is it still good to go?
I set mine off after owning for two years, got someone to hold Bailey and put my right leg over the front of the saddle and jumped off. I was worried it wouldn't work when I needed it, but when I'd bought it two years prior it came with three spare canisters so I didn't mind wasting one.

When it went bang Bails hardly reacted but all the other horses on the yard were running around their stable!

Kat

Visit site
Definitely sounds as though it needs a service.

You could try swapping the cannister but if you still can't set it off then it sounds like an issue with the jacket.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
They should be serviced by the manufacturer or their approved servicing agent at least once a year and the cannister replaced at the same time. After a fall the air jacket should be checked by the manufacturere or their approved servicing agent. The manufacturere or servicing agent should provide you with a certificate to demonstrate that it has been serviced and that it is in good order. Please be aware that air jackets will ony provide protection when they have been inflated while a static body/back protector will provide protection all the time.

Reactions: Kat

Birker2020

Visit site
If it hasn't gone off it might be because you haven't set it correctly. My air jacket went off when I fell off on a hack so I sent it off for service.

I wrote a post about it on the forum and attached a photo which you might find useful but I'm not going to attempt to find the link as that post descended into another bitch fest.

The lady at Hit Air said that she could tell mine hadn't been set correctly in the Air Jacket because part of the gubbins inside had snapped off.

ycbm

Visit site
They should be serviced by the manufacturer or their approved servicing agent at least once a year and the cannister replaced at the same time.

The canister cannot be sent back with the jacket, it must be removed, carrier's won't take them because they are pressurised. It can be put back in when the jacket is returned if it has not been used. It is obvious if one has been used in earnest, it will have a large hole in the top.

Illusion100

Visit site
Well, I weigh about 8st and my friend even less so I think we were just not really up to the task of a good hard pull on the cord to test it haha.

The jacket/cannister/attachments etc all look great. The jacket has always been kept clean/dry etc.

Just think 2 featherweights aren't strong enough to trigger the mechanism!

ycbm

Visit site
whilst this might be ideal it’s not practical, else I’ll be sending them off to them every couple of months at the rate I’ve been coming off in the last few years ?‍♀️

I agree, I send mine off every 3-4 years when it starts to look a bit tatty. It comes back each time looking new :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well, I weigh about 8st and my friend even less so I think we were just not really up to the task of a good hard pull on the cord to test it haha.

The jacket/cannister/attachments etc all look great. The jacket has always been kept clean/dry etc.

My neighbour got her daughter to test hers yesterday before heading to PC camp, it worked as it should, she's 7 stone in full kit.
Do send yours off for a service x

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I have a couple of spare canisters, just couldn't get the jacket to set off! (Wanted to know what it felt like as well!)

The whole jacket is in great condition. It's just I didn't know if once a cannister was fitted to jacket, if it needed replaced after a certain amount of time even if not activated.

Guess I'll give them a call
You should have it serviced annually or at the very least, just pull on the chord to make it go off.
The tack shop staff made their shop model go off to show me how it feels and it actually activated very slowly - they said they don't usually make it go off so the canister had been in ages.

So either make it go off and spend £20 on a new canister or send it away for a service. I believe the service costs around £60.
Really tiny sums to spend to keep you from breaking your neck.

Sossigpoker

Visit site

Yes you are. You need about 6 stone of pressure on it to make it go off. So a really hard pull should do it.

Illusion100

Visit site
Ok, so help clarify....if I get someone sturdy to give it a good pull and it sets off, do I need to send it for a service anyway?

Or can I just replace cannister?

Or do I send off the jacket for a service without even testing it first?

P.s, my right arm has Lymphedema and nerve damage, I can't manage a 6kg pressure pull on the cord by myself, and my friend definitely wasn't putting a 6st tug on the jacket either!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Ok, so help clarify....if I get someone sturdy to give it a good pull and it sets off, do I need to send it for a service anyway?

Or can I just replace cannister?

Or do I send off the jacket for a service without even testing it first?

P.s, my right arm has Lymphedema and nerve damage, I can't manage a 6kg pressure pull on the cord by myself, and my friend definitely wasn't putting a 6st tug on the jacket either!
You can do either. But only way to make sure there's no damage to the mechanism, punctures etc is to send it away for a service.
If you just set it off you will know that it seems to work OK. Personally I'd send it away for service

To set it off put it on and ask a friend to give it a really hard tug. They seemed to manage it in the tack shop fine. A sharp, quick and strong pull will do it.
If in doubt,.ask a big male friend O family to do it.