Do I need yard insurance?

Impu1sion

Visit site
Just wondered if you more knowledgeable people would be able to answer this question. I have my own small yard for my horses and have planning permission for private use of the arena. If a friend were to ride her own horse in my arena, and have an accident, could I be liable? I don't have yard insurance. Thanks!

popsdosh

Visit site
Just wondered if you more knowledgeable people would be able to answer this question. I have my own small yard for my horses and have planning permission for private use of the arena. If a friend were to ride her own horse in my arena, and have an accident, could I be liable? I don't have yard insurance. Thanks!
Yes you could!!! and before we get the get them to sign a disclaimer they are totally useless and will not stop you being liable!

popsdosh

Visit site
Does this still apply if they are not paying to use the arena?

(Genuine question not arguing - I often get asked if neighbours/friends can use mine and I generally decline for this reason).
Yes! although morally wrong ,if for example they claimed from their insurance ,they(insurance comp) would not think twice about claiming it back from you if you could be deemed negligent.Its the way of the world now!!!

Impu1sion

Visit site
Thank you for your reply, I have always had sole use, but I have had this person's horse on loan, and now that the horse is returning to the owner, they would like to ride the horse before taking home, hence the question! Thanks all!