Do I put my horse on part loan?

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
As the weather is getting hotter, my allergies are quickly getting worse and subsequently I’m struggling to ride. I suffer from nasty hayfever and the only tablets that combat my allergies I’m also allergic to (obviously!)🤬. I am in contact with my doctor and we’re very quickly running out of options for me, one of which is to limit my time outside. With having a horse, this can be rather tricky!

Harley is already in full livery so all I really have to do is groom and ride, which doesn’t sound like a massive chore, but it is. He benefits from being ridden everyday due to previous weight problems hence why I’m looking to part loan to take some of the pressure off me.

All sounds good so far, but I’m really precious over who rides Harley as I’ve put a lot of work into him and he’s still learning (still cannot work in a constant outline at 10 years old! Although he improves all the time and picking it up very well, I wouldn’t want someone to ‘ruin’ him).

He’s not a novice ride due to him still learning, but I’d want the loaner to do hacking primarily (I only school once a week as is). He can also be a bit silly and excitable in both the school and out hacking, but nothing I’d call dangerous by any stretch.

I know that the best option would be paying someone to ride, but at 19 and already paying a fortune for him, I just cannot afford the extra £60 a week; nor ask my mum to pay for anymore than she already does!

Does part-loaning sound like a good option? Or should I just suck it up and carry on the way I am? Thanks to everyone who’s got this far. I would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is absolutely worth advertising, remembering that you don't have to pick someone if you don't like any of them ;)
If you don't charge (because riding and someone being good enough is more important to you than the ££) then you do open up your options a bit. Albeit they also might be the ones who are keener to school but you could come to arrangement on that, say once a week.

sportsmansB

Visit site
There are sharers about who would be able to continue his education - students at Uni without time / money for a full time horse, mums with kids who can't commit to full time ownership, etc.
You just need to vet them and make sure you're happy, maybe do a few weeks trial. Loads of people would be interested esp if hes on livery and they don't need to do loads of jobs! Word of mouth recommendations maybe better than wading through a load of 12 yo's responding to a facebook ad...

Roxylola

Visit site
It's the sort of thing that I'd be interested in - I've done a bit of all sorts, taught for years but I am out of the industry now and like to have something to have a play with and improve but not have loads of pressure to produce anything amazing.
On a personal note - although this might suit you, as I work I could hack etc all summer happily but I'm stuck when the nights are dark so it's possible you might find a sharer who can take a back seat once you are able to do more

Shay

Visit site
I do hear the messages of hope - but OP I'm really sorry you are going to end up with a load of timewasters. Plus - from one fellow control freak to another - you are going to hate every one of them because they are not you!

You might find your perfect one - and I really hope you do. But I'm afraid the odds are stacked against you and you need to accept that to push on through.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If I were you, I would be pushing your doctors to find a better solution for your allergies. There should at least be a liquid version, or more expensive tablet form of the medication that you are taking. They should also be able to offer you de-sensitising treatment. You are not being given the best available treatment - have you been referred to a consultant?

mariew

Visit site
You have nothing to lose if you advertise or listen round. I was lucky enough to find two amazing sharers that were far better riders than me, but they just wanted something to pootle out on a hack without any preassure of performing (you couldn't stick novices on my baggage).

Yes you might end up with time wasters, but you may also luck out, but you won't know unless you try. You could always ask for them to have a lesson or two with your instructor first so you can judge what their riding is like.

Would you like a bit of a break regardless of allergies? it's quite nice to have a day or two off riding.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Absolutely get a sharer - you can find good riders out there (albeit you'll have to filter out the less good riders). If he's still struggling to work in a consistent outline at his age then it sounds like he'd benefit from someone who can school him as well as hack him.