Do instructors really teach?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
or do they mask the riders weak areas to make the client feel good about their progress.

Before I go any futher can I just clarify that I'm not taliking about the names you have to book weeks in advance with, more the average riding club level instructor.

I ask this as I teach a small group of riders (friends). I dont charge them and I do what I think is necessary to improve their riding. Every session is about exposing the issues and working on the root cause and dealing with it. This can result in spending entire time on flat even if it was supposed to be a jumping lesson, can also on occasions leave pupil a liitle surprised /deflated at the amount of work required.
Now if I was having to earn a living teaching I probably wouldn't teach in the same way. I would want the pupil to always leave my lesson feeling good about their riding so they keep comming back.
I know I can engineer a jumping lesson that would get a rider jumping considerably bigger fences than they normally would but I also know if they then tried to do this at home it would turn to a pile of poop.

I remember one session I had with a top showjumper. We spent 95% of the lesson just working on the canter as he fel this was the issue which I agreed with. Sadly the owner was not impressed that she had paid a lot of money for a jumping lesson and hardly popped a fence. We never went back and I stopped riding for her not long after.

I've watched a lot of lessons and often come away feeling the instructor was playing it far too safe and not really dealing with the root issue, rather skirting around the weakness to avoid a potential problem for fear of the pupil going away less than smiling.

I'm lucky in that I know my pupils well and they know I will always say what I see but also that I have lots of time after a session to discuss in detail any issues the lesson may have highlighted and develop a plan on how we will tackle them. A luxury a lot of instructors dont have.

So I guess what I'm really asking is do some instructors play it too safe/compromise on what the rider really needs to do versus what the rider thinks they need to do and is this really the best way to teach?

Spiritedly

Visit site
I think there are many very good instructors out there and some mediocre ones. Like you said they have to leave the students wanting to come back and telling them they're doing everything wrong probably wouldn't achieve that, I think it's very much a balancing act between focussing on the positives and pointing out the negatives and unfortunately not all instructors manage to master that.

Clava

Visit site
I have a ride With Your Mind instructor and she always pinpoints the basics which I have to work on to deal with the issues I might have, she certainly doesn't engineer a lesson so I simply feel good about my riding.

BBH

Visit site
I think the trouble is that coaching is a journey to success which means you are not going to just be able to do the bits you want ie the girl who only wanted to jump in her jumping lesson didn't appreciate how much strong flatwork and canter will aid her jumping. Whether she was a leisure rider not intending to worry about the finer details or it hasn't been explained to her who knows but if someone is genuinely wanting to ride well a coaching plan will be in place that both parties will understand. There is absolutely no benefit in not being honest about someone's capability.

For me its not just about technical detail with an instructor its about the bond you have and how much you enjoy your lessons.

biggingerpony

Visit site
The best instructor I ever had took me right back to walk/trot for 2 sessions on my mare, and it was meant to be a jumping session, but she highlighted that my transitions were my weak point, (which i agreed with), then worked up to pole work, cantering/canter poles and transitions then eventually small x-poles and working up and up and up. She said to me that your only actually jumping for 10% of the time and the rest of it is on the flat, I know that sounds obvious but me and my mare never had a problem with the jumping part just the bits in between!! Even though I stopped having lessons with her due to lack of transport, I still remember all the exercises and tips she gave me!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I agree that its a balance. People respond to different types of instructor. Thats why its great that we don't all teach the same! Some like to be told everything, others like to be told a little then allowed to play and work things out. Some need their hands holding and pushing, others are too confident and need holding back for the horse's sake!

Personally I think that people need to feel that they've learned something, understood what they need to work on and to have enjoyed the lesson. To constantly drill clients and not leave them with any positives is not the best plan in my opinion. There is always something to take away that you can work on, and something that you can praise people for...

I worked at a riding school in Italy many years ago. A few years after I had left, I went back to visit. They had a top german trainer teaching there. Nobody was allowed stirrups or reins (just lunged) until they had a completely stable seat. The kids riding there looked amazing riders, but they lost a lot of clients as there was no fun involved at all. When I was there we did gymkhana games with the diddies etc. The horses were a bit battery farm like too - not allowed out to graze as it was on a mountain... The YO's daughter made the italian event team with a home grown horse, which was very impressive, but IMO it was at a high cost to the horses and the riders...

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
You have hit the nail on the head. The riding schools have to tell their students they are doing well, or they would lose custom.

It's only once you get through the Riding School system that you realise your faults and the more diligent riders with decent instructors will focus on what's wrong and make a point of sorting it- despite losing confidence in themselves!

little_critter

Visit site
I recently changed instructors because although my old one was very nice I didn't feel like there was any plan or structure (eg "you have a problem with x so today we're going to work on y, then next session will progress to z")
I have changed from fortlightly lessons with an 'average' instructor to monthly lessons with someone who charges more but I feel we are making progress with her.
I don't want ti finish a lesson feeling like I've had a fun time...I want to feel like we've worked on something and made progress on an issue.

mik

Visit site
As an instructor, I teach and correct what I feel is needed.
If they don't come back that is fine with me, I explain the road we are going to follow and the way we will correct issues from the base up, with a new pupil (my regulars know where we are going and their aims), and it is their choice.
I won't teach a lesson to keep a pupil, only to help them and begin to put them on the right track. I don't over extend my pupils, and if they are in a hurry I am happy that they go elsewhere.
Is this what you mean?
Remember no instructor can click with all potential pupils.
I also encourage my guys to go to good clinics as often as they can, and to keep an open mind.

Burnttoast

Visit site
I don't want ti finish a lesson feeling like I've had a fun time...I want to feel like we've worked on something and made progress on an issue.

This. I like there to be pressure in my lessons, but also a sense that things are achievable. I don't want to pay someone to confirm my view of my own brilliance :rolleyes: - that is what my nearest and dearest are for :D So there needs to be pressure but a realistic view of what is possible, and judging that is a real gift. My old (and wonderful) instructor, now retired and too far away anyway, would occasionally make me cry with frustration but she always judged it right - she knew I could do what she wanted, but I didn't - not until the end of the lesson. So those were always positive experiences even though I felt like a limp rag afterwards! She really didn't take any prisoners and many people couldn't stand her, but if you were prepared to work you would see the benefits x10.

annaellie

Visit site
I've got rid of instructors cause they were to nice, a couple I had used to say that's a lovely trot and I was thinking you idiot my arms are getting pulled off can he be any more on the forehand prob not :( some lessons it would be constant nagging but he always finished on a positive note even if it was only well done you hot two strides of a nice soft trot that showed impulsion let's try and double it next time and instructor always used humour :)
This instructor got more out of me and horse than any one else and I ended up with a really nice horse at the end of it :D
My best instructor was one that pointed out all mine and horses faults, taught me how to correct them, and give me something to work on for next lesson :)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I won't teach a lesson to keep a pupil, only to help them and begin to put them on the right track. I don't over extend my pupils, and if they are in a hurry I am happy that they go elsewhere.
Is this what you mean?
yes thats pretty much what I mean.

A perfect example of covering up an issue would be (real life example with a pupil).

Pupil when facved with long approach to a jump would fiddle on approach messing up the rythm, never did it on short approaches. Result was poor jump (often pole down) from a long approach.
Faced with this situation I know some instructors who would spend the entire session just jumping from shortish approach thus avoiding the problem. Rider goes away feeling confident as spent most of lesson getting really good jumps. Reality is the issue is still there and rider has learnt didly squat which will become very evident when in a comp and faced with a lot of space between fences.

My approach was to spend several sessions with at least 70m of space on approach. Sure pupil was a little down after the first session but did admit she could now see how she was messing up the approach. I also explained to her the the hardest thing a lot of riders have to learn is how to do NOTHING.

I guess it depends what a person wants from a lesson. Some really do want to learn, others perhaps just want an enjoyable fun session with perhaps the odd learning point or two.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
My teaching very much depends on the pupil, I have some that want to learn, and some that say they do, but really want a ''clear round'' and some fun. I'm fairly adaptable and tbh, I don't really mind either way. I don't work hard to retain the pupil, but if they want to come back, I will teach the way to suit them and their goals.

noblesteed

Visit site
As a teacher of children and also a mentor for teacher training, I find it very difficult to find a good instructor for precisely the reasons you have described!
I can tell straight away if someone is being too 'nice' to me, which is why I prefer the old-school straight talking 'shouty' instructors! I even had one instructor who told me she was very nervous about teaching me because I am a teacher...

In order to deliver a GOOD lesson to a group of pupils, of any age, the universally accepted way is to have a clear learning objective to begin with, explain this to the pupils, why they need to know it and how it links to other learning, and tell them HOW they will be able to achieve it ie, what the intended outcome of the lesson will be. The pupils then are taught what they need to know and given opportunities to try for themselves and 'embed' the learning. The lesson is summarised at the end and pupils are given chance to discuss whether or not they achieved the initial objective, whether they need any more practice/help/further input, or whether they feel confident and feel they are ready to progress further. The teacher then plans the next lesson around this information as well as their own judgement on where the pupils need to progress to next. If these principles are followed you have a group of pupils that make good progress and do well. They are confident because the learning is at their pace and they have opportunities to work on things they feel they need more practice with. They are also praised for the positive and left at the end of the lesson with a feeling of achievement. Homework is given so pupils can practice this.
HOWEVER in order to do this properly you need a VERY clear picture, to begin with, of where the pupils currently are in terms of skills, confidence and abilities. Now many people would say that school-age pupils are a captive audience but this is sadly no longer the case... in tougher schools pupils will choose to disrupt lessons where the teaching focusses on the negative, or makes them bored, doesn't challenge them, or fails to build their self-confidence. So in that way as a teacher you DO have to 'impress' your pupils to maintain their attention and avoid poor behaviour...

If you are an RI, giving a lesson to an individual rider, if you followed these principles you would find that the first lesson, when you see the horse and rider for the first time, would need to be mainly focussed on assessing the capabilities of horse and rider. Only then would you be able to teach the 'next step', and devise a program to aid the improvement of the horse and rider. As the rider is an adult and paying for your services they will have a preconceived idea of their capabilities and what they WANT to learn, and you will be restricted by this. So I suppose an RI would have to use their own judgement and tact to carefully coach the rider into accepting their capabilities and moving on... Some riders will need careful handling whereas others (like me) would prefer to be told - in that way they will be able to gain confidence in their instructor. There would be nothing worse, in my opinion, than spending money on weekly lessons with someone who ISN"T being honest with you. But I do realise some riders aren't like that!!! Something we use with younger children is to state 2 good points and one point for improvement, that may be adapted to suit adults?

However I would think that most rider who pay instructors for 'one off' lessons will be expecting instant results. I don't think this a good way to learn, this is more of an 'experience', and I suppose instructors will in these cases focus on enjoyment rather than learning. This is why when I go back to having lessons after my baby is born I will be looking for an instructor who can teach me regularly.

Crikey, sorry, I have written an essay.... I do apologise!!!!!

mik

Visit site
It is a good essay, I must admit I was focussing on individual/small group coaching. In a class I have a plan and then differentiate as problems arise. Each pupil or client needs 'handling' in a different way, and your approach with a new pupils must be steady and measured until you have worked out how they need to be taught.
My guys here in spain still are surprised when the horse or they are going better after a lesson, which makes me roar, and my response is, 'I do hope so, that is what you are paying me for.' I also expect long term pupils to improve, (horse and rider) otherwise, what exactly are you paying me for?
The only thing I will say is I often explain to them that the learning curve is a series of plateaus and then rapid rises when things come together. This is where frustrations can set in, but with a clear goal in mind these plateaus pass, or become less extensive.
I do stress though, I am not there as a friend, but as an instructor. I may like them a lot, but it is important not to want to make your client like you, however, they must be corrected, praised, encouraged and extended in order to be satisfied long term with your teaching.
You are, after all suppose to be a professional.

Last edited:

Ginger Bear

Visit site
The best instructors are the ones that can teach a feeling.. which is very hard for the average instructor to do or explain in words.. most people have been taught a theory or a picture of how you should be riding but aren't taught what feeling is correct. So I think that most instructors just change or correct what the rider is doing but don't teach what the correct feeling is like. I don't think many 'mask the issue just to make you feel good about yourself' but I think an instructor does need to commend the rider for what they do correctly or your lesson will just make you feel like you do everything wrong..

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
My instructor is fantastic (have had rubbish ones in the past mind you!)
The first lesson I had she mearely watched me pick up the reins and found faults! EVERYTHING has to be just so!
It's amazing and I can honestly say that I've had fantastic lessons never getting out of walk and learnt far more than cantering and jumping in the past. She does have very high expectations and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but she adores my pony understands how his mind works and really wants us to do well. She notices what my pony is thinking and lets me know instantly when things arent correct and I think that is the key.

I should add that she's not BHS anymore, as she didn't agree with the teaching methods.

I can also highly recommend biomechanics instruction if you seem to be stuck and not improving. They are fab at explaining which muscles to use and the feelings.

Last edited:

sjp1

Visit site
I hadn't had a lesson for 25 years and then recently had some. And everything was wrong, my hands, legs, contact, all of it, and it was non stop!

But I didn't mind and in fact it was what I wanted. And I have gone again - lots!

1Lucie

Visit site
Umm... i've had a few instructors in past year. Only had one good one........later found out he wasnt qualified (at riding school) and left! DOh!

Recently had a lesson with an instructor who made me feel like an utter idiot and that my horse would take years to school and i wasnt capable of it. GReat... havent had a lesson since!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Recently had a lesson with an instructor who made me feel like an utter idiot and that my horse would take years to school and i wasnt capable of it. GReat... havent had a lesson since!
That is never acceptable. Reality check is one thing, confidence distruction is out of order.

eahotson

Visit site
Well I have had a number of instructors over the years.I have found that a lot (not all) that come from the colleges have not much knowledge to be frank.Riding schools have a lot who have only got stAge 2.Some instructors had more knowledge but can be down right bulling (and yes thats exactly what they are, bullies).I have had 2 very good instructors.One was a man who was very forthright but taught well and was good to me.My present one is lovely.She is very knowledgeable but works with me without pressure.I don't do well with pressure these days, and just alters things slowly.She has helped me hugely and I also enjoy my lessons which is essential to me as I ride for pleasure.

Onyxia

Visit site
I guess it depends what a person wants from a lesson. Some really do want to learn, others perhaps just want an enjoyable fun session with perhaps the odd learning point or two.

Answered yourself there :p
Yes I feel some do play too nice with clients, but thenn you must remember that most riders do it for fun. If a hobby is not pleasurable whats the point of it?
For the last few years I have not really wanted to imporve, just have fun and pick bits and pieces up along the way.
Now that my child is older and I want to pick up training for my stage exams again the method of teaching wil change- the school will once again become a place of work for me, and hacking continue to be fun time!

I have found being honest with you instructor is the key- most will ahve a generic one size fits most approach to teaching but are happy to be a bit more bullish if asked!

Surely though, this is one of many things that should be talked about in the first lesson?
If the clients aims have been discussed along with the type of instructor they have got along best with in the past there will be a better idea of how to teach that particular client before the work begins :)