Do joint supplements really work?

Lucky788

Visit site
Asking this as I genuinely feel the one I use has made a difference to my cob
He’s on yumove, but with so many about do people feel they actually work/ make a difference or just clever marketing?

Dreckly

Visit site
IMO joint supplements are one of the hardest things to know if it works, unless you have a horse who was affected but with the introduction of one sorts the problem.

I had this conversation with my vet when I bought my Charlie 5 years ago. He is a big chap, half shire, and I wondered if asking him to do dressage would adversely affect his joints and whether a supplement would help. His answer was whatever the pros there were not many cons to giving one and that prevention is better than cure. So right from the off I have had him on Suppleaze Gold. It doesn't break the bank and gives a good level of ingredients. He is now 15 with no problems showing at the moment, and we do schooling work and our hacking is not slow!!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There are two main issues
1) molecule size re. gut absorption
2) if they are absorbed if they make it to the joints.

I don't believe myself that the traditional joint supplement ingredients too much more than make owners feel better.
My own arthritic has been fed boswellia instead.

Equi

Visit site
I have been one of the ones who never believed they work. Same with comfort gut etc. I ran out of my equine america glucosamine a few weeks back (was only giving it as i had got a tub of it for free) and i really noticed how less free my horse was. Put him back on it, voila...freer horse. He is now on it for life. I gave him the confort gut cause i had a tub of it i got for my mare, but she didn't have any difference with it and i was just looking rid of it....his runny arse stopped being runny. Stopped it for a few days to see if i needed to buy more or not..even tried a cheaper one...runny arse. So again, he is on it for life.

Sometimes they work, sometimes its psychosomatic, sometimes it doesn't work. Trial and error im afraid!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've never had success with any joint supplement regardless of how expensive (or cheap ) they were. The only things that helped were, keeping weight off, gentle daily exercise and not leaving them too long in the stable without in hand walking. My old, retired mare has a quarter tablet of previcox for an old injury, but since she's been on them, she's never stiff in the stable.

supsup

Visit site
There are not a whole lot of properly conducted studies in horses that look at the effects of joint supplements. The only ones I'm aware of are those conducted by Dr. Marlin and colleagues testing the Science Supplements FlexAbility product. They show a measurable improvement in horses fed the supplement.
My vet suggested years ago I might want to put my gelding on a joint supplement because he's always struggled a bit with using his hind-end effectively. I fed Equimins Flexijoint (good value for money with decent level ingredients) for several years, but cannot say that I ever noticed much of a difference when I ran out.
I have more recently (after a gap of not feeding any joint supplement) tried FlexAbility, and have to say that there was a noticeable difference within about a week. Despite the eye-watering price, I've kept him on it, because he's been moving really well all through this winter on it. I can't say if it's the overall higher concentration of ingredients in the product, or quality/combination of ingredients that make the difference.
From my own experience it seems to me that this is a case where you should either invest in a really good product (both quality and level of ingredients), or not bother wasting your money.

eggs

Visit site
I am kind of on the fence regarding joint supplements but have been giving Boswellia to one of my horses who had his hocks injected last year for early signs of arthritis. I recently ran out of the Boswellia and this coincided with my horse not feeling 'quite right' although even my vet agreed that he looked sound. Coincidence or not? Anyway he is back on the Boswellia, has had his regular chiropratic treatment from my vet and now feels right again. She did comment that we was very tight down his left hand side so it could well be that the treatment and time off is what has really made the difference but who knows.

ihatework

Visit site
A couple of times over the years, when someone else has been responsible for feeding my horses, I have deliberately asked not to be told when they were on/off supplement.

There have been 2 supplements that I have been able to tell the difference (2 different horses), one was cortavet the other top spec calmer. I’ve never felt a difference in standard glucosamine type joint sups

TPO

Visit site
My mum had a horse with lots of physical issues (majority resolved with physio) and he had a mild slipping patella. He had far less episodes of his leg getting "Stuck" when he was fed Aviform Suppleaze Gold or turmeric. He was also bought equistream bands for when he was on 24/7 turnout and less likely to eat his meager feed to carry supplements. They appeared to make a difference to him too.

At the same time I had a TB who's fractured his pelvis in racing as a 2yr old and had numerous other physical issues that manifested. I didn't find any joint supplement or turmeric made any real difference to him and nor did the equistream bands.

It was my horse that I wanted anything to work on and it didn't have any marked effect. The second time I tried him on turmeric I think it did help him a bit whereas the first time, a few years previous, that I'd fed it he'd reacted really badly on it.

I guess it will depend on what's actually wrong with the horse and different supplements appear to work on different horses.

Ironically I had a wee mare with arthritis and navic who was a very happy field ornament that I fed on a joint supplement that appeared to be working for her. The equine vet practice I was with at the time told me it was a complete waste of time and absolutely no way that any joint supplement bought from a shelf would, or could, have any effect at all. This same practice have now released their own range of supplements, including a joint supp, and their clients are very much "encouraged" to feed it and benefit from the miraculous results....:rolleyes:

Hack4fun

Visit site
Have a look to see if Dr David Marlin has posted on joint supplements. He is very direct, and informed by the nearest thing to objective evidence.

Mule

Visit site
I've never had success with any joint supplement regardless of how expensive (or cheap ) they were. The only things that helped were, keeping weight off, gentle daily exercise and not leaving them too long in the stable without in hand walking. My old, retired mare has a quarter tablet of previcox for an old injury, but since she's been on them, she's never stiff in the stable.
That sounds sensible. I think weight is a big factor that people don't always think of.

Reactions: TPO

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Asking this as I genuinely feel the one I use has made a difference to my cob
He’s on yumove, but with so many about do people feel they actually work/ make a difference or just clever marketing?
Well I have seen miracles work with Equimins Flexi Joint, money back guarantee. * if you have lubrication you don't have pain, if you don't have pain you don't need a pain killer* was what David said from Equimins - and he was so right. Mare ended off bute totally went sound, and made the vet lost for words, when she said she would be on bute for life.

some previous feedback on many who use, tried it https://h0rseservices.weebly.com/j.html

On the Hoof

Visit site
Well I have seen miracles work with Equimins Flexi Joint, money back guarantee. * if you have lubrication you don't have pain, if you don't have pain you don't need a pain killer* was what David said from Equimins - and he was so right. Mare ended off bute totally went sound, and made the vet lost for words, when she said she would be on bute for life.

some previous feedback on many who use, tried it https://h0rseservices.weebly.com/j.html
can I ask what severity of arthritis your mare had and where the arthritis was. This looks like an affordable product but the truth is I don't really believe that they can help but I can feel myself being drawn in, my mare has arthritis in the spine and I think I would be better off spending my money on physio.

tda

Visit site
I used Yumove on our old collie dog, she was 100% better with it.
I've used turmeric on various old age ponies, some it works amazingly well, other no different x

Leo Walker

Visit site
can I ask what severity of arthritis your mare had and where the arthritis was. This looks like an affordable product but the truth is I don't really believe that they can help but I can feel myself being drawn in, my mare has arthritis in the spine and I think I would be better off spending my money on physio.

You would be. Please dont rely on anecdotal comments on a really odd website to influence you. If you want to feel better then bosweilia is a good place to start. Its relatively inexpensive and does at least have some research proving it can work :)

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I don't think yumove horse is a great one, I looked into it and its a lot of filler. If you look at the ingredients "Flaxmeal, Glucosamine HCl (17%), Methyl Sulphonyl Methane (13%), Green Lipped Mussel (7%), Hyaluronic Acid (0.2%), Yeast Extract."
It adds up to around 62% filler of flaxmeal. We use the yumove working dog but it doesn't have so much filler in it as the horse one.

I decided to buy pure HCL glucosamine and MSM from online chemists, works out about £30 for 1kg of both.
One leading supplement is pure glucosamine HCL and its sold at £69.99 per 900g.
I did find some research that showed glucosamine HCL made a difference to hock joints when they done some test on 20 horses given glucosamine and 20 without, can't remember the exact study but it did conclude it benefited them but had to be given for several weeks to get it into their system at 10g twice a day if I remember correctly.

Not seen a dramatic improvement but it makes me feel a bit better knowing he is on something, he has arthritis of the neck. We do notice a big difference if we stop giving our arthritic dog her joint supplement though.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
There are two main issues
1) molecule size re. gut absorption
2) if they are absorbed if they make it to the joints.

I don't believe myself that the traditional joint supplement ingredients too much more than make owners feel better.
My own arthritic has been fed boswellia instead.

Do you find boswellia makes a difference? I was going to buy my gelding some and never got round to it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Though flax is linseed and a lot of us do feed it hoping it might help (in other ways too).

Yes to a point. F has a spavin and when he first started to look a bit off on that side I told no one I had started it and several very experienced people asked what I had done as he was moving so well.
However about 18 months later it wasn't helping as much and he was steroid injected = instant full improvement -in hindsight I should have done that about 6 months before I actually did.
Now he is a bit more clunky everywhere and really struggled with the hard ground last summer he gets bute instead (it is processed in the liver and given our issues in that respect I didn't really want him on both). The younger (it's all relative!) one gets it still though.

I have tried it myself but doesn't seem to help but likely mine is mostly nerve pain.

I knew quite a lot of people that were feeding green lipped mussel at one point but that seems to have dropped out of favour.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Interesting thread. My boy with bone spavin had steroid injections - first injections wore off in 2 months (if 'wore off' is the right term!), 2nd set of injections didn't seem to help at all. He has been fed turmeric and boswellia serrata since I found out about the spavin and I haven't noticed these supplements helping him. He has just been started on danilon and this has made a difference although how long this will last I don't know. I also keep his weight off make sure he has daily turnout and exercise including stretches/physio. Sorry if my ramble hasn't really added anything useful here but I would love to find a supplement that worked for him. He also has breathing problems in the summer and I eventually found a supplement which worked as well as ventipulmin on him - so I know there is 'stuff' out there which can really help certain horses in certain situations.

vhf

Visit site

I use the human version of Flexijoint and am pretty sure it's the main reason I am still riding... if I forget to take it for a while, or run out, I am fine for a few weeks and then slowly realise I'm aching, sore and stiff again... But I don't have arthritis (yet), I am just completely crocked! The chiro when I go has a more obvious effect but wears off more suddenly too.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Physio is ok but lubrication also helps with joints

please read some of the feedback from the website from previous H&H members, or call David from Equimins, they use shark cartilage in the product which some don't like to use. https://h0rseservices.weebly.com/j.html

My mare was trotted up at vets due to her being stiff/lame in more than one leg, xrays were not done, as vets confident it was in the legs after nerve blocks, suspect hock where problem was. Vet said bute for life, I don't like bute as all it does is mask pain for arthritis and it gets worse bone on bone. I researched a lot and tried Cortiflex, and saw a mask improvement but still on bute. It was expensive and lasted 1 month at £ 50, so I carried on searching, and spoke to David, he told me of their product which creates synovial fluid. I weaned her on it, and it was cheaper and I only had to give her 25 ml so half cortiflex dose.

After 3 weeks I called again and spoke to him about update, and said I was please it had good effect and cheaper, he said " now I want you to reduce her bute". I was sceptical so instead of giving her bute am and pm I missed out the am, and after 3 days still comfortable effect. I did this for a week and a half, then david said now a bute every other day. did this, no change in her (bad) He then said stop it ( bute), I was on egg shells, but she remained sound.

2 weeks later we did a sponsored ride, and she tried to piss off with me, bouncing on the spot and eager to go, best ride I had in months.

Had vets out to do a follow up visit not telling them she was on FJ, after flexion test, circles and trot ups. vet said she was pleased and she was still sound to carry on. I then told her it had been 3 weeks since her last bute and she was on FJ, and she was amazed and shock and she had done a sponsored ride.

Livery 1 horse went on to FJ and went more fluent in her paces
Livery 2 Trainer noticed the difference as we had not told her he had started on it.
Donkey (mine) had trouble coming off her ramp in stable so she could see over the door, she then able to step straight down instead of shuffling all feet to the edge.
Dog, fed on the horse version as no vat so cheaper definite difference.
my late mares son and new mare on it too

Every horse is different, and to me with a money back guarantee, one has nothing to lose to try it.

PS: read the reviews on their website https://www.equimins-online.com/en/...ml?search_query=flexi+joint&results=21#idTab5

Lastly a quote from their website
Full money back warranty in the unlikely event that Flexijoint does not work on your horse (guaranteed)

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited: