Do magnets work?

Does magnetic therapy work?

• Total voters

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I was skeptical about magnets but when a horse undergoes major surgery to remove five spinal processes, you will throw every thing at it to try to get it right. I bought an armadillo rug. Not cheap at around £160, but thought it may just be worth it. I have used it every day before exercise on my boy since I started his rehab. He has progressed really well and I was back riding him after only four weeks of the exercise program. I didn't know if the rug had worked, only that he was doing very well indeed. But a few days ago I decided not to use the rug for two days. Instead of the magnetic rug, I used an ordinary heavyweight 'sports' fleece, so that I could eliminate other factors such as his back getting cold. When I came to exercise him he was noticably stiffer and reluctant to go forward. When I rode him he felt less relaxed and slightly wobbly. So after the two days, I went back to the routine of putting the magnetic rug on and he has come on really well again since. Feels much looser and stronger.

So, do magnets work? After my little experiment, I say 'YES!'

Last edited:

scarymare

Visit site
It depends upon the condition.

We had a 2 year old great dane with wobblers syndrome. It was in Vertebrae C3, C4 and C5. These are just where the collar goes. We brought him a bioflow collar and the differences were unbelievable. He was at that point not managing on £150 pcm dosages of Zydol and another drug whose name I can't remember. The results were instantaneous. His meds were reduced and he went from not really managing to 'new puppy'.

However we did same with older Dane whose problems were more generic (back end going etc) and no difference.

Personally though, I'd always at least try them though.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It depends upon the condition.

We had a 2 year old great dane with wobblers syndrome. It was in Vertebrae C3, C4 and C5. These are just where the collar goes. We brought him a bioflow collar and the differences were unbelievable. He was at that point not managing on £150 pcm dosages of Zydol and another drug whose name I can't remember. The results were instantaneous. His meds were reduced and he went from not really managing to 'new puppy'.

However we did same with older Dane whose problems were more generic (back end going etc) and no difference.

Personally though, I'd always at least try them though.

How interesting! I am actually going to try some magnets for my own (horse induced) aches and pains. My sacroilliac is really bad and so is my wrist.

Dolcé

Visit site
I voted yes too! I use the horse ones on myself for my back and they definitely make a huge difference to the pain and mobility. I agree with scarymare though that they may not be appropriate in every case.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Well they work on me, and they most definitely work on farrier OH, so I use them on my horses and imo they work on them too :)

The best thing I have found for my arthritic hand (several broken bones after a horse trod on it) is a gold bangle - however I cannot afford one large enough for a horse :D:D

rhino

Visit site
Do magnets work? Well yes, they are magnetic :confused: :rolleyes:

Do they increase blood flow? Reduce pain? No, not possible. Two double blind studies, one at Baylor College of Medicine, and one at NY Medical College, showed NO effect, and another number of recognised trials shows the same.

There have been a number of successful fairly high profile court cases against manufacturers of magnetic products and their false claims to be beneficial.

However, they are very unlikely to be harmful..

Taken from Professor Finegold's article in the British Medical Journal

Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. If there is any healing effect of magnets, it is apparently small since published research, both theoretical and experimental, is weighted heavily against any therapeutic benefit. Patients should be advised that magnet therapy has no proved benefits. If they insist on using a magnetic device they could be advised to buy the cheapest—this will at least alleviate the pain in their wallet.

I await a thread full of lovely anecdotes that says otherwise, but as we all know by now 'The plural of anecdotes is not data'.

And if anyone wants to read some research for themselves:
Magnet therapy does not alter blood flow:
Mayrovitz HN and others. Assessment of the short-term effects of a permanent magnet on normal skin blood circulation via laser-Doppler flowmetry. Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine 6(1):9-12, 2002]
Martel GF, Andrews SC, Roseboom CG. Comparison of static and placebo magnets on resting forearm blood flow in young, healthy men. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2002;32:518-524.

Magnetic therapy is not pain relieving:
Pittler MH, Brown EM, Ernst E. Static magnets for reducing pain: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. CMAJ. 2007;177:736-742.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I voted 'they jury is out'. Of course I did. I'm a scientist and that's pretty much the only conclusion I ever reach about things. I would say that I personally lean towards it being a load of tosh as that is what most studies carried out have concluded. However, there is always room for new data so I can't conclude anything in either direction for certain.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I voted 'they jury is out'. Of course I did. I'm a scientist and that's pretty much the only conclusion I ever reach about things. I would say that I personally lean towards it being a load of tosh as that is what most studies carried out have concluded. However, there is always room for new data so I can't conclude anything in either direction for certain.

Agreed - I voted for "load of old tosh" but I would have been more comfortable voting "on the strength of the currently available data I am convinced that magnetic therapy provides no beneficial effects beyond those of a placebo" or something :D

rhino

Visit site
Agreed - I voted for "load of old tosh" but I would have been more comfortable voting "on the strength of the currently available data I am convinced that magnetic therapy provides no beneficial effects beyond those of a placebo" or something :D

But the question was, 'do magnets work'. Yes, they're magnetic. :confused: Yet another unspecific poll from which it would be extremely difficult to draw any remotely valid conclusions ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
But the question was, 'do magnets work'. Yes, they're magnetic. :confused: Yet another unspecific poll from which it would be extremely difficult to draw any remotely valid conclusions ;)

No, that's the thread title - the poll question is does magnetic therapy work :p

overtherainbow

Visit site
i would agree with the placebo effect in humans, but surely that cant work for an animal...

they didnt work for me, but a quick google scholar search has revealed arguments for both sides and if by putting one on someones symptoms reduce, then theres no harm in it (as a treatment for pain- claiming to treat cancer etc is more dodgy)

there does seem to be an agreement that any effect would be tiny, but with horses we all know how much a tiny effect on blood flow can affect them! the jury is definitely still out for me

Cop-Pop

Visit site
A 'friend' of mine purchased a magnetic rug at some considerable cost (against my advice btw) and went on and on about how amazing it was. When she realised I still didn't believe her she tried her old rug for a few days and sure enough her horse was stiffer. She was very happy to point out how wrong I was until I pointed out the magnatic rug was much warmer than her old one and when she borrowed a thicker, non magnetic rug her horse wasn't stiff in that either :rolleyes:

rhino

Visit site
i would agree with the placebo effect in humans, but surely that cant work for an animal...

Proper placebo effect, no. However, look at conditioning theory, expectancy theory, human contact (inducing placebo effects in the owner... They will all give answers if you take the time to read them.

McMillan, FD. The Placebo Effect in Animals. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1999; 215(7): 992-9.
Pavlov, IP. Conditioned Reflexes. London: Oxford Press, 1927. 23–78.
Voudouris, NJ, Peck, CL, Coleman, G. Conditioned placebo responses. J Pers Soc Psychol 1985; 48: 47-53.
Gantt, WH, Newton, JO, Royer, FL, et al. Effect of person. Conditional Reflex 1966; 1: 18-35.
Lynch, B. Heart rate changes in the horse to human contact. Psychophysiology 1974; 11: 472-478.
Wilson, DV, Berney, CE, Peroni, DL, et al. The effects of a single acupuncture treatment in horses with severe recurrent airway obstruction. Equine Vet J 2004; 36(6): 489-94.

And google scholar doesn't only accept peer reviewed, 'proper' studies, so unless you read and analyse the research you will not know if there is anything statistically significant.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I think they work, my mare has arthritis in her hocks so i got her some magnet booties for her back legs as i didnt want her on loads of bute, she isnt on any now and when she comes in with swollen hocks they are the first thing i use and they, 9 times out of ten as sometimes she thinks she is 2 and tries to prove it, work.

Xx

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Well, they do work in the respect of warming the surface of the skin more than other areas - I have a mesh magnetic rug and the patches where the magnets are attached are significantly warmer, and even my sceptical vet will concede on this point - raising surface temp. Whether they have an impact bigger than that, I don't think there are studies to proved either way, and warming the skin must be changing something further down surely?

I think the cost of a magnetic tug is small comparatively to vet treatment, so even if it doesn't help, it doesn't harm, and if there's a chance it coudl help, its worth a punt imho.

Our dog has a magnetic collar, as he was getting on a bit. He was immediately less stiff after long walks, and seems better ever since, so that experiment worked imho. :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't think there are studies to proved either way,

Or, if you read the thread and see rhino's reply...

And if anyone wants to read some research for themselves:
Magnet therapy does not alter blood flow:
Mayrovitz HN and others. Assessment of the short-term effects of a permanent magnet on normal skin blood circulation via laser-Doppler flowmetry. Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine 6(1):9-12, 2002]
Martel GF, Andrews SC, Roseboom CG. Comparison of static and placebo magnets on resting forearm blood flow in young, healthy men. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2002;32:518-524.

Magnetic therapy is not pain relieving:
Pittler MH, Brown EM, Ernst E. Static magnets for reducing pain: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. CMAJ. 2007;177:736-742.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

The question is 'Does magnetic therapy work?'.

Secondly, this thread is not designed to be in any way scientific. I was interested in other people's opinions and experiences. FWIW, I was actually surprised that the rug has such an effect on my boy.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Well, the magnets certainly imcrease the temp on the surface of mine, which I think has been shown in a study (must have been for my vet to admit it!) but don't ask me where or which one. What else they do I don't know. :)

I don't have time to look into rhino's links anymore, I should be working! :eek: :D

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm not convinced by the "science" behind them at all, though had a conversation last year with my vet about them and he thinks they're great.

From my POV they're probably a bit like joint supplements.. you don't know what the horse would have been like if you hadn't fed the supplement / used the magnetic rug / waved rhythm beads at your horse so you have nothing to compare to. There are too many other variables to be able to say for sure what is having the positive effect.

I wonder whether just putting a warm rug on would have the same effect?

scarymare

Visit site
Hmmm

I'm a Scientist too. The day I accept every article (even peer reviewed etc) will be the day I stop calling myself one. There is a great deal still to be explained/tested especially around (for example) electromagnetic phenomena (sp?). TBH, it worked for Nevis, no question, no placebo, no nothing. My OH is also a scientist (considerably more gifted than I) and would attest to the same.

Not sure that either of us gave a flying ******* about the theory. Just the results!

fburton

Visit site
However, they are very unlikely to be harmful..
Only to the pocket (potentially)!

My view coincides perfectly with jesstickle's, and voted "jury out". I'm a scientist too (supposedly). If the jury returned a verdict today, it would be "not proven".

I wonder whether just putting a warm rug on would have the same effect?
Good question! I suspect a lot of the positive effect is due to the warming effect of whatever the magnets are in.

Marydoll

Visit site
Hmmm

I'm a Scientist too. The day I accept every article (even peer reviewed etc) will be the day I stop calling myself one. There is a great deal still to be explained/tested especially around (for example) electromagnetic phenomena (sp?). TBH, it worked for Nevis, no question, no placebo, no nothing. My OH is also a scientist (considerably more gifted than I) and would attest to the same.

Not sure that either of us gave a flying ******* about the theory. Just the results!

Agreed, all i know is they made such a difference to my horse, i bought another pair of magnet boots for my other horse and use them daily, i am convinced they help keep the joints more mobile and if i dont use them, it shows in the horses movement

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The question is 'Does magnetic therapy work?'.

Secondly, this thread is not designed to be in any way scientific. I was interested in other people's opinions and experiences. FWIW, I was actually surprised that the rug has such an effect on my boy.

Exactly :) and even though our GP says they don't work, even he can't work out how OH can shoe horses since he started using Bioflow magnets, but could hardly bend his elbows before :)

Ellen Durow

Visit site
Can't speak for anyone else but Bio-flow magnetic boots certainly helped my lame old mare. Horses don't get the placebo effect and it definitely wasn't just my wishful thinking as other people who didn't know about the magnets commented on how well she was going

Last edited:

fburton

Visit site
I guess if they do really work as well as people say, this is would come out in proper clinical trials. Or maybe trials would show that the support and/or warmth afforded by the boots or rugs are just as effective with or without the magnets.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I guess if they do really work as well as people say, this is would come out in proper clinical trials. Or maybe trials would show that the support and/or warmth afforded by the boots or rugs are just as effective with or without the magnets.

But OH doesn't wear boots or a rug, just a little bracelet on each wrist ;)