Do mares become more affected by their seasons?

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
I've had my section A since she was 2yo and she has never been mareish even in the slightest. Even when my gelding was still with me she was never overtly in season, but this year (she's turned 8yo) and she seems to be more affected by her seasons. The first season of the year she was a bit 'nibbly' wanting to nibble my hand and I just put it down to it being her first season of the year. However she's now had several seasons and today she was funny about me going behind her or touching her back end- she is definitely in season. In herself her temperament hasn't changed- it's just that now it's more obvious she's in season. It doesn't bother me but I'm curious whether this does happen. The only other mare's I've known have either been totally unphased by their season or totally tarty! Any enlightenment is gratefully received :)

PingPongPony

Visit site
My mare just gets a lot more bossy in the field and argues a little bit more when ridden, still does what she's told but with a look on her face ''i'll do it but i'm not happy about it'' she also puts her ears back and does a tiny buck into canter when she's in season.

B forgets her manners and also forgets how big she is, swings her bum into the gate and jumps when she hits it. Has days off which is only when she's in season cuz any other time she a hard working keen little pony! She also becomes a bit of a tart :)

Ice was very confused as it was her first season ever, she just squealed alot at geldings and pulled faces at us also a bit more skittish but apart from that normal really.

L... don't know cuz she's 31 so im not sure if she still has them and if she does then we dont even notice :)

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
My mare was pulling faces a bit today too :rolleyes: I wouldn't think twice about it if she'd always been like this but only this year has she begun to be mareish so I'm just wondering whether it only begins to effect mares as they get older or if mares can get increasingly effected by it.

TicTac

Visit site
I have owned my mare 3 years and up untill now she has not be overly difficult or changed much during her seasons, however this year she has become a complete tart! ( she has just turned 11 ) I was trying to lunge her at the beginning of the week and all she wanted to do was wink, wee and squeal at the gelding in the paddock next to the manege!! Thankfully her ' main' days only seem to last for 3 days so in future I shall just not bother to try and work her when she's like this.

showqa

Visit site
My mare is really pretty much the same as always. Maybe a bit narky but nothing troublesome really. But like women, they're all different!

Tormenta

Visit site
I was just thinking this today except mine is 22 years old! Normally, you wouldn't notice anything of her but she is throwing herself unashamedly at one of the geldings, won't leave his side and has decided that he has to somehow satisfy her needs, he has that weary worn look on his face after two days. The other two geldings who are a bit interested are being told in no uncertain terms by her that they are not suitable :) Little tart is only 10hh. It certainly has amused and confused me let alone the gelding since she normally is one of the easier mares. :D

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
My mare is definately worse than when she was younger. I've had her since she was 5 and I never used to notice her seasons.
She's now 23 and seems to be in season half the summer. She becomes completely obsessed with one other horse, can be a gelding or a mare. She'll pace up and down the fence and scream her head off if the chosen one is not within reach!
Seems the wrong way round to me, surely they should calm down a bit when they're pensioners!

babymare

Visit site
my little lass never changes other than she squirts for boys - her personality her manners everything stays same she just gets a bit stickiee on back legs lol lol i would never have had a mare before her but she is just a babe :) xx