Do mares get broody?

hairycob

Visit site
There is a mare with a young foal on our favourite hacking route & every time we go past Pickle stops & knickers softly. She always wants to go over & say hello - haven't let as marish squaeling would be inevitable. I know se had a foal 3 years ago (about all I know about her past) as she still had milk when her previous owner bought her from a dealer. I lnow it's anthropomorphic but just wondered if mares get groody & hanker after a foal.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Perhaps, if Pickle's foal was weaned too early... I once read about one of those 'horse pychics' (sorry, can't think of the proper term) telling someone that their mare was still 'mourning', so to speak, her foal which had been taken away too soon... Could be a load of bollox though!!

hairycob

Visit site
I suspect it was weaned rather suddenly and she was sold on quickly. Could explain why she is a failrly soppy mare.
We were playing a game once matching the horses up with Eastenders characters
blush.gif
(you have to do these things when you have kids!) & Pickle was definitely Little Mo

miss_bird

Visit site
Yes they do my mare, would always try and mother any foal that she could, i finally put her in foal last year and she had her first foal in august at the ripe old age of 19.
She used to bite and get very bolshy at me whenever a mare and foal came into her field i realy do think that was her way i saying to me please i want to be a mummy, she is now so relaxed and happy i wish i had done it sooner,

seaview

Visit site
Mine used to stand and gaze if we were out and mares and foals were there.
she was sooo broody she had her first and only 'baby' 2 years ago and now stands and gazes at her own daughter, they are weaned and everything but she just still adores her daughter and can go in same field or not they eiher take it or leave it
smile.gif

xx