Do mud fever turn out boots work?

catembi

Visit site
Trev has come back from retirement livery with mud fever in one leg, which he’s never had before. He has been at the vets for a week for something unrelated and they have treated, and I am trying to get organised for when he comes back. I have laid a load more mud control mats and have a hard standing area and they have free access to stables and hay, so no need to stand in the wet. I want to do everything possible to stop the mud fever coming back. So do any of the turnout boots work?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
silver whinnies would be my option these days.
yeah I'd be interested in trying them if I had a mud fever issue again.
I have got equilibrium chaps and premier equine ones. The equilibrium ones do work well, you have to keep them clean and the fit is imperative, they fit really tight around the heel and top of the hoof to keep the wet out. I have 2 sets so I can always have one washed and dried.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Yes, I have a couple of sets. However, they do need to be used on clean, not infected legs and should be washed and dried overnight.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yeah I'd be interested in trying them if I had a mud fever issue again.
I have got equilibrium chaps and premier equine ones. The equilibrium ones do work well, you have to keep them clean and the fit is imperative, they fit really tight around the heel and top of the hoof to keep the wet out. I have 2 sets so I can always have one washed and dried.

yup we've had equilibriums too, I perhaps should have been more clear I was thinking re. the current infection as much as anything. Jesstickle (blast from past) used the SW recently and is really pleased with the results.

AFB

Visit site
Yes but if you're not in a dry field (in which case you probably wouldn't need them) then you'll need to wash & dry them every day.

I gave up in the end as they just weren't feasible for me.

ponios

Visit site
From one mud fever sufferer to another...everyone will have their own lotions and potions but what has worked for my two with mud fever is pig oil and sulphur, I slap it on will a big paint brush. Has prevented mud fever for last two winters. Not sure if it would sting if you already have scabs but I would put protocon on any scabs/wounds to help heal them and then the pig oil everywhere else

Edited to add that I have tried lots of boots and none have worked. I have used silver whinnies to help heal a cut on horses pastern that he kept on striking when the flies were really bad and they were fantastic. However, they were quite a faff to to get on and off and I didn't really fancy wrestling them off when covered in mud! But if you have more patience then me and a more compliant horse perhaps give them a go!

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's not advised to use pig oil on scabs already present, better for prevention, sudocreme works as a good sulphur carrier then.

beingachicken

Visit site
I used to use them. They do work but you either need somewhere good to dry them properly or a few pairs otherwise your putting on cold wet boots each morning.
Silver Whinneys are great for overnight in the stable to help heal it. Bit awkward to get on and off shod horses though I found.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I tried the equilibrium ones a few years back on my thin skinned chestnut mare. They didn't work at all for her and I switched to using a barrier cream.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
i used them for a number of years on my ultra sensitive lad. My findings were -

Pointless if horse already sore or nearing being sore.
Legs must be 100% healthy from outset.
They must fit snugly and cover coronet well to stop seepage up and under the boots.
You need a clean dry set every day. They do wash and dry well.
Buy ones with reinforced area under fetlock and over back/into pastern.
Buy good quality, my lad had a overreach into tendon whilst wearing his and the quality of the neoprene prevented a nasty wound. sliced a hole in the boot and nicked his leg.
Don't even think about using them on feathered legs, they will boil the horse and invite skin problems to start.

catembi

Visit site
Thank you, everyone. Oh gosh, what a minefield! He is an unshod, intermittently compliant thoroughbred. Sounds as if the best bet would be to keep him off the mud! Oh well, only 6 months til the swamp has a prayer of beginning to drain...!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If youve got a decent hardstanding area, Id keep him on there until his legs are dry, scab free and the skin has had a few weeks to heal itself and renew.

We've used turnout socks in deep, wet mud to try and protect mud fever legs prior to building our hardstanding turnout. They weren't bad, but i wouldnt use them daily. They actually helped remove the scabs too! They may be better if you're battling "normal" mud. Ours can be a hock deep bog..