Do older horses keep thier winter coats?

Madam_max

Visit site
My mare is 19 this year and her coat looks horrible. It's healthy looking but is much thicker than normal. Her clip also grew back strangley this year is patches. Do older horses hold their coats more :(

Flax

Visit site
I was wondering this,we have a 33 year old who was just retired last year,he has always been fully clipped but this winter he wasn't, now he is ..... a mess :confused: big patches of long hair and other bits are a bit bald - but mostly really hairy & horrible :mad:

Sorry not much help but I feel your pain :rolleyes:

showqa

Visit site
Have you considered Cushings Syndrome? They may well be suffering with this. Do they show an extra thirst, lethargy/depression? The dip in the back is due to loss of muscle tone which again can be attributed to Cushings. Chat with the vet may well be useful. There is medication and a regime to follow that can help a lot.

burge

Visit site
My old mare is 25 and her summer coat is all through and winter woollies shed. Clip lines been gone a couple of weeks. Not much help to you so I suppose it depends on the horse. She does though spend a lot of time out (24/7 for about a month or so now).

Rose Folly

Visit site
Older horses often take longer to shed their winter coats, with or without Cushings. I think it can be exacerbrated by clipping, as the horse's metabolism no longer can recognise the seasons. Try linseed in food on a year round basis. It is a great coat improver. Our old boy here (24) looks a right mess at the moment. He's been unclipped but rugged all winter (living out). His quarters are in summer attire, all gleaming and smooth. His belly and neck are full of dry dead hair and look like they belong to another animal.