Do Pelham’s get marked down in showing?

Aimeejoy

Visit site
Hello again, I have a question or two for you all, I have a Welsh d x Arab and we usually ride in a tranz angled lozenge beval snaffle (it’s like the neue schule one but the cheaper version), however when I ride her in a Waterford Pelham with a curb chain she is so much easier to ride (she actually listens to me) and looks better too, we usually use the Pelham for just jumping but I’m wondering if I used it for ridden shoes would I get marked down for it? Thankyou

Aimeejoy

Visit site
Horses should always be ridden with 2 reins so no. You will not be marked down for having a pelham on.

Wilkies/bevels/whatever you want to call thems are gags in all but name. I personally hate them and would rather they were all melted down and made into something useful!
Thankyou very much I don’t know too much about bits so I’m thankful for your advice

Aimeejoy

Visit site
I was told by my mares old owner to try this one however I would much prefer another type of Pelham so I shall do some research

Visit site
A Pelham with 2 reins will be ok unless in a novice class.
A Waterford Pelham is something I wouldn't like to see in the ring though.

I have seen far worse than a Waterford pelham in the show ring! In horse classes 2 reins are always prefered even in novice classes. Its pony classes that insist on snaffles.

But yes. Try other things first.

Aimeejoy

Visit site
I have seen far worse than a Waterford pelham in the show ring! In horse classes 2 reins are always prefered even in novice classes. Its pony classes that insist on snaffles.

But yes. Try other things first.
Thankyou so much for your help

conniegirl

Visit site
A Rugby Pelham is often used in show classes. It is used with a seperate head piece so it looks like the horse is in a double bridle from a distance.
actually rugby pelhams are out of fashion at the moment and most judges hate them anyway.
A simple show pelham is absolutely fine for horses that can't have a double bridle.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of my Arabs is shown in a Pelham the mouth piece is the same as his snaffle bridle, it's just like a lozenge French link which I find he prefers to the straight bar or ported ones.

I have never used a bit fitting person but a lot of people have really recommended it, so it might be worth getting one out in this situation to help you find something that the horse is comfortable in and helps you.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
actually rugby pelhams are out of fashion at the moment and most judges hate them anyway.
A simple show pelham is absolutely fine for horses that can't have a double bridle.

Good - always though they look ridiculous 🙈
Pelham with leather curb chain & lip strap looks very smart IMO 🙂

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
I have always shown my small hunter/intermediate show hunter in a single jointed pelham.
We have placed every time at local, county, NCPS POYS and WH. I have never had any comments made re the pelham - i think they look very smart :)

I agree a waterford pelham isn't something you'd see in the show ring - at the end of the day their manners and way of going are also taken into account if said person needs a Waterford pelham to have some control over the pony (not saying this is you) it would be frowned upon

x

Aimeejoy

Visit site
I have always shown my small hunter/intermediate show hunter in a single jointed pelham.
We have placed every time at local, county, NCPS POYS and WH. I have never had any comments made re the pelham - i think they look very smart :)

I agree a waterford pelham isn't something you'd see in the show ring - at the end of the day their manners and way of going are also taken into account if said person needs a Waterford pelham to have some control over the pony (not saying this is you) it would be frowned upon

x
That’s great advice thankyou so much

Visit site

x

I'd take a waterford over bike chains - bicycle and motorbike, curb chains, twisted wire etc 😉 yes you can get these bits made! Sadly I have seen plenty of them!

mcnaughty

Visit site
Rugby pelhams are most definitely not 'out of fashion' if there even is such a thing as ring tack fashion. If they are then please do inform the judge who just gave my daughter her RI ticket as her shetland wears one. He is only a baby and a double bridle would be too much and a standard pelham cannot be worn with the sliphead that gives the important visual impression of a double bridle necessary for open classes. Ultimately, it comes down to what your pony goes best in.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd take a waterford over bike chains - bicycle and motorbike, curb chains, twisted wire etc 😉 yes you can get these bits made! Sadly I have seen plenty of them!

Also plenty of swales and I saw the longest shank on a show hack a couple of years ago, it would have looked better in saddleseat, (iirc the bradoon was something funky too).