do people buy horses at this time of the year

Tufty

Visit site
Has anyone got a horse up for sale and had no enquiries etc just asking because I have just advertised mine on H and H and horsemart and although it has had over 450 hits on horse mart had not one phone call do you think it is a silly time to be selling should I just wait until the spring ?

Tufty

Visit site
wish I had asked this question before I spent the money on adverts ! well you never know Santa may pass this way yet !

gillcook

Visit site
My sister has just bought one so yes some people do buy this time of year but I think when looking there were less around at the moment and some people might put it off until spring. However I think that because people like us who have always had horses and can only have one horse buy whenever because we can't live without one!!! Wouldn't know what to do with all that time.

samp

Visit site
The next 10 weeks are hard for anyone to ride there horse in the week if in school or work due to the lack of daylight hours. I imagine this may be the case.

I personally prefer to buy this time of year as I can concentrate on schooloing and building up a bond ready to compete in the spring

Pasha

Visit site
I agree - last time I brought a horse (some time ago) it was around this time and my friend's just brought a 4yr old Warmblood to get fit and train over the winter ready for next year's season

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I bought my b oy in October a couple of years ago, so there are people out there who want horses. However there are alot that don't want to pay to keep a horse over the winter without alot of light to ride in. Without a doubt February, March time the market picks up again.

Goods Luck selling

SillyMare

Visit site
Competition horses definitely sell at this time of year - people like to have time to get to grips with them before the spring and serious riders aren't put off by the cold / wet / dark.

All round good riding clubbers / happy hackers are more difficult I think as the people who buy those are less inclined to put up with the miserable months when they can hold off a few extra weeks.

Tia

Visit site
I buy my seller-ons at this time of year......prices are lower and there is generally a bit of glut over here. Having said that I am finding real difficulty in finding nicely registered stock at the moment for under $4,000!! But I will keep looking, often around January time people are looking to pass on horses for a more reasonable price....so there is still hope for me.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
There are plenty of buyers out there, but I have to say the market seems to be pretty flooded at the moment as it's 'chucking out time' and there's a glut of good, reasonably priced horses out there (as well as the usual rubbish) as people reduce their headcounts due to the clocks going back, the price of hay etc etc etc!

If your horse is accurately described and sensibly priced, he will sell, don't worry!

Rachel_M

Visit site
I am waiting till after the christmas holidays to take the horse that I want because I am away over christmas and it seemed silly taking the horse on for a week and then go away for a few weeks. Plus money is always tight around xmas.

But I was looking around at this time, can't miss a good bargain.

Tia

Visit site
I have widened my search to the States but still nothing jumping out at me.
frown.gif

What lines are these ones that are under 2 grand down your way?

Go4Broke

community.webshots.com
Depends on what you are looking for. Most of the 'good' paint lines are like that. Anything that is cow bred, and most of the appaloosas. There is an extreem hay shortage here. We are fine as we contracted our hay supplier last year. A friend of mine who has paints is having to sell off all her weanlings and about 5 of her broodmares due to the hay situation. She mainly has the Poco/cowbred/paints.

Tia

Visit site
HI!!!! How are you doing? Great to see you.

I am quite specific as to what I am looking for, so here goes.

I am looking for AQHA's with good cattle lines - must have Two Eyed Jack - personal favourite. Would consider an APHA but must be predominantly dark with white rather than the other way around. Again has to have good cattle lines, preferably with Two Eyed Jack again - definitely don't want any Zippo Pine Bar in them.

Would have Appy's but must have good Prince Plaudit lines in them.

2 year olds are what I am looking for. Know of any? Appreciate the help, thank you.

We had a tonne of hay here in Ontario but I am aware of the shortage in the States as am contacted from all over the States on a weekly basis for hay - I don't ship to the States though. A lot of the hay here in Ontario is rotten though, we had too much rain and then a drought. We have tonnes of hay here though, enough to start us off next winter. Plus a good amount as selling hay so we'll be fine.

Gotta factor in shipping though if I bought from down your way.
frown.gif

Nice to see you - hope all is going well.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Hey you are almost called the same as me!

Yeap they do, just sold Otto the bay below (he is going Friday, boo, hoo), had at least 20 calls from HorseMart.

Jo(me) Ella (my old pony)

Go4Broke

community.webshots.com
Try looking on Dreamhorse.com in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and New Mexico. I think Colorado has been hit too. Where we got the colt from last year had some nice ones for sale at very reasonable prices. Shall we say that Bubba cost less than $500 and has some very nice lines (Stardee x Live the Dream Mare). Keeper was $500 and has Doc Bar, Prince Plaudit, Prince David and Dreamfinder. We are even selling our Prince Plaudit colored long yearling filly for way below what she is worth. She is the tiny spec from my name thingy. Super nice horses going for silly money!
Other than the hay shortage all of us and the horses are doing well thanks. Even Hubby is thinking of showing next year!

Tia

Visit site
Aww that's great! Haven't seen you around for a while. Pleased all is going well for you.
smile.gif

Thank you for the site - will have a lookie.