Do people buy without vetting?

Waxwing

Visit site
As I have posted recently I am considering buying a new horse; am have thought if anything local comes up I might enquire; a horse that might be suitable came up on Facebook today so I messaged asking about it. The Facebook post stated the owner needed to sell quickly and the owner messaged back advising the horse was up for £7k. They also asked how quickly I could collect if interested and someone had arranged a viewing and was bringing a horsebox with them. I responded that if I was interested I would wan the horse vetted first. If I found a horse that I genuinely thought was perfect I could probably fund two for a very short period of time but I wouldn't every buy without a 5 stage vetting especially as I would want to insure the horse. It just made me wonder as significant number of people do buy without having the horse vetted. ( I think I had previously seen the horse advertised elsewhere for double the present asking price.)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Under those circumstances, I would avoid like the plague!

I bought Rigsby with no vetting, I knew he would not pass one anyway and was prepared to write off the purchase price and PTS if he couldn't be comfortable enough to be a field ornament. I was prepared to have him as a field ornament.

I would risk one with no vetting, but then I am experienced at buying and assessing, and would write it off mentally, if it didn't work out. For one that is more expensive, I still have a vetting.

The price differential for a 2 stage V a 5 stage means I generally go for a 5 stage, but with no X rays.

Waxwing

Visit site
I am avoiding; I am realistic enough about my own abilities to want anything I buy vetted, and viewed with someone more experienced with me, especially for 7k which I know is not a lot considering the current price of horses but still.

Waxwing

Visit site
The ad said the owner needed to sell quickly which I totally appreciate and if the owner had said already had viewings arranged and wanted those people to have first choice I would have totally understood but they were willing for me to go and view the horse and only became non-committal when I said I would want it vetted before buying.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Seller sounds very dodgy. I'd stay well away. In those sort of circumstances I'd have one vetted.
I've never had one vetted but I normally buy young native sorts with little handling that a vetting would stress out , but are not expensive anyway.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm with the others - don't go there! Sounds very much as if there's something wrong with the horse, and you might end up buying through pity.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it doesn't have to be dodgy, some people do buy without vetting and if the seller had e.g. lost their stable or their job or whatever there may be legitimate reasons to seek a quick sale.

That said... if you want to assure yourself as best as you can that a horse is in good health then there's no sense whatsoever in entertaining such an arrangement!

mariew

Visit site
When I buy a horse again I will vet and possibly also ask for back x-rays to rule out any kissing spines. But then I can only afford one and want beat possible chance of not buying a crock. Especially at 7k..

I suspect dodgy sellers will take full advantage of current still buoyant market to punt on broken horses quickly and say whatever they need to get people to feel like they have to buy come hell or high water as they will loose out otherwise.

How often do we get 'i have been missold...' at the moment. And it turns out they haven't vetted.

Kaylum

Visit site
Would leave well alone for 7k know a very dodgy girl selling horses that would never in a million years pass the vet and people are buying them unvetted and in fact unseen.

atropa

Visit site
I have only had 1 of my 3 horses vetted, and its the one who turned out to be the biggest crock.
I'm fairly happy taking chances with what I see in front of me on the day of viewing, however I do tend to buy at the lower end of the horse budget. If I was spending more I likely would vet, also if a seller was not open to letting me vet rather than me not bothering with it, I would walk away.

Peglo

Visit site
I didn’t get 2 of my 3 vetted. 1st one was supposed to have navicular when I got her but she was free (does anyone give away horses anymore?) so I knew I wouldn’t have long term soundness. 2nd one tbh I didn’t know vetting was a thing but she only cost £1,200, Although that was a decent amount at the time.
After hearing all the stories on here I don’t think I’d buy another one without a vetting

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
For that sort of money I’d definitely vet, you’d need it for insurance. I’ve never spent anywhere near that but I know insurance want a 5 stage if it’s over £5k
ETA if it’s a cheap hardy looking pony I might not vet, but if it’s an expensive purchase (over £3k) or something like an ROR I’d vet (esp X-rays)

Last edited:

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
When I buy a horse again I will vet and possibly also ask for back x-rays to rule out any kissing spines. But then I can only afford one and want beat possible chance of not buying a crock. Especially at 7k..

I suspect dodgy sellers will take full advantage of current still buoyant market to punt on broken horses quickly and say whatever they need to get people to feel like they have to buy come hell or high water as they will loose out otherwise.

How often do we get 'i have been missold...' at the moment. And it turns out they haven't vetted.
If I ever buy again I’ll be getting back X-rays. Just had one recently vetted and X-rays showed kissing spine. People say to ride the horse not the X-rays but particularly with KS pain can come out of nowhere and be v dangerous- I know 2 people in real life whose mild mannered horses lost their minds and threw them off breaking the respective owners backs. Both horses turned out to have KS. My late horse had KS and was great, until he wasn’t (luckily he was treated before things got bad under saddle, but he was dangerous on the lunge/ground). His issue was that we fixed the KS but KS usually comes with other things (SI). This might mean I never own another horse but that’s fine

Tarragon

Visit site
i never vet but i buy young and unbroken and dont spend much!
This is me too.
I also don't insure for vet bills as I don't really believe putting a horse through a lot of vet procedures. I think I would rather put a horse down than subject it to anything really invasive or lengthy periods of box rest, but I must admit that I haven't had to put that theory to the test!

Hallo2012

Visit site
This is me too.
I also don't insure for vet bills as I don't really believe putting a horse through a lot of vet procedures. I think I would rather put a horse down than subject it to anything really invasive or lengthy periods of box rest, but I must admit that I haven't had to put that theory to the test!

same.

i have one on a years field rest for a relatively minor leg issue, rather than spending £2-3k on things that may or may not help and are very variable in results.

i wouldn't put mine through a colic op for eg either.

the money is there but in my pocket not an insurance co!

dorsetladette

Visit site
I've never vetted but never paid that price for a horse either. I don't tend to sell on either and most of our ponies stay with us for life. Touch wood I've not had any horrendous health issues with anything I've bought. I've never paid more than I was prepared to lose for a horse. most recent 2 (babies) cost £150 & £250 respectively.

Leandy

Visit site
Yes, people do buy without vetting and, contrary to some posters above, I would consider that a cheap horse so it is perfectly possible someone may. Personally I always have a vetting. I want to know what I'm dealing with. If you want a vetting you must get one. Don't let a seller chivvy you into not having one or rush you into a purchase. It may or may not be true that others are interested but that is by the by. If you are interested, see the horse in your own time and go from there. If someone else buys it first then so be it. Personally I'd find it off-putting and highly suspicious that the seller is trying to hussle you. In such circumstances, unless the seller and their circumstances were personally known to me, I would not believe a word they say.

Waxwing

Visit site
Its been very interesting reading everyone's perspective; I didn't pursue anything further with the seller; if they are genuine and their circumstances mean they need the horse gone in a couple of days I am not in a position to do that. Having concluded that the horse we bought last year isn't right for us I want to made sure any new purchase is a considered one. If the current horse sells ok we will have a reasonable budget for a new one and I can add a bit more to the pot if required; I have stared doing some additional work in relation to my usual job with this in mind.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
This is me too.
I think you make a good point. I put my last horse through surgery, injections etc and he never came right so I really regret putting him through that. I’d do things differently next time