Do people just not recognise lame horses?

Kat

Visit site
The game is really good, I did level 1 but need more time to look at the rest.

I also got stuck in a loop on the bonus round though!

Managed a 100% record in the quiz but misdiagnosed a sound horse as lame in the bonus round.

emilylou

Visit site
The game is really good! Spent a bit of time on all the different levels and turns out I am really good at determining if the horse is lame or not but rubbish at figuring out where the lameness is coming from. Its definitely helped with my skills

Tarragon

Visit site
The game is really good! Spent a bit of time on all the different levels and turns out I am really good at determining if the horse is lame or not but rubbish at figuring out where the lameness is coming from. Its definitely helped with my skills
This is me too. I could detect the lame horses but frequently got the wrong foreleg. I suppose, recognising the fact the horses is lame is a good start.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use next doors school and there is someone I have shared the school with a few times and the horse is awful behind, it actually makes me wince and want to come out.

BBP

Visit site
Sorry to bring up a old thread . I think the problem nowadays is people now there horse horse is lame but choose to a ignore they don’t want to get the vet out because of the money. Lameness investigation is very expensive you won’t be long having a big bill without insurance. I now a lot of people without insurance.
By the end of this week BBP will have set me back nearly £1k. By the time he has had shockwave and mesotherapy and whatever else I’m sure I’ll be over £2k. He may not be ridden again and is not insured. But not being insured is not a reason for me to pretend he is sound. Where is the joy in riding a horse with a dull eye, that doesn’t want to go forwards or explodes forwards, or refuses fences, or is heavy in the hand or stoically does the best it can with no enthusiasm or interest? My horse has more value to me as a sentient being and ‘friend’ I guess than he does as an animal to fulfil my desire to ride, so yes it’s expensive, and yes I might have to sell and sacrifice some stuff to pay for it, but doing nothing ceases to be an option when they are unhappy or in the case of mine, can’t get up easily. But for a long time I did blame the lameness on his muscle myopathy, and it had seemed that exercise might benefit him if that were the case. So I was aware of it but used exercise tactically to try to help. I was wrong. It took time and process of elimination to come to the right answer.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
My mum used to do a lot of freelance teaching and had similar experiences. Telling people their horse is lame tends to get a very loud and very negative response, as does telling them the saddle doesn’t fit or that the bit is rubbing.

Had plenty of experience there telling people their saddles don't fit or they are too large for the saddle/horse and refused to fit it any further as well as ill fitting bits, bridles, martingales, numahs etc, funnily enough not often asked back! :)
Oz

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Try being a judge and telling someone that you think their horse is unsound! Or even putting the unsound horse down the line and then having a rather aggressive rider and their connections asking why it wasn't put first! The mare I'm thinking of was well over 20 years ago. So wide behind that a Shetland could have walked between its back legs and not tracking up, in a working hunter class. Cleared all the course but the show was awful. We were told it had won the day before at some big show or other and they were very unhappy with our assessment!
At another show a different group insisted that the show vet assess, very said lame and they were still arguing!

shamrock2021

Visit site
I think the problem is people don’t want to give up riding for a few days or they don’t want to think there is a problem with there horses etc getting older and needs retirement. I have also seen the opposite problem where a horse isn’t lame but person think the horse is very lame they go to equine hospital for test and the vet says the horse is sound. it very hard to tell someone there is lame without them getting angry with you.