Do people loan horses anymore??

RubyR

Visit site
I ask the question because I don't really see many horses advertised to loan. What do you think my chances are of finding a 15hh-16hh, 10 yrs plus, allrounder type on loan? I thought it would be the perfect solution because I have a 2 year old which is not going to be doing much in terms of ridden work for the next two years. Am I being idealistic thinking I can find a horse to fit my bill without buying one?

Tinkerbee

Visit site
most of the ones i see for loan are ponies....i guess grow out of but cant bear to sell.
you could find something though!

kirstyfk

Visit site
There arn't that many advertised. For the past 10 years my family have been loaning horses as we just can't afford to buy. Most of these have come from word of mouth. Plus we now have a good reputation for being a loan home. tell everyone you know that you are looking for a horse on loan. I want a horse on loan next summer as i really missed not have a horse this summer. (even though i was working with 80 horses!)

Good Luck!

tigers_eye

Visit site
You might be better looking in local press or in tack shops than on national websites and magazines. I didn't want my boy to go far when I put him out on loan so only advertised him in a local agricultural magazine.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
yes, there are plenty of loans about but to be honest, with a toddler (I have a 2yr old too so know the demands) would you have time to be doing stable duties all winter? Would you be happy taking a toddler out in the freezing cold to a yard? (it's not always going to be possible that your other half will babysit!). I would go for a share, where you would do a small amount of care and riding for a small price. We have a pony who lives out and getting to the yard with two kids in tow isnt easy. I am lucky in that I have a great yard owner and my other half helps out, but it's still harder than I thought.
Go for it, by all means, but get a great yard and a good support network. Go into your local tackshop, where there will be plenty of adverts. people like to advertise locally for loans as they'll want their horse to stay nearby.

Good luck, oh and by the way, welcome to HHO!
grin.gif

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Yes. I have two horses out on loan at the moment. I found their loan homes through word of mouth. I don't think I would be brave enough to advertise anything for loan though as there are some real muppets out there (no offence). You might have some luck locally, try tack shops and livery yards, pony club or you local hunt. Good luck.

seza

Visit site
For the past 18 months we have loaned out our belgium warmblood. I did this through word of mouth. When the person decided she didn't want him any longer I decided to sell as he was getting older and I really didn't want another pensioner at home. When we had ponies I loaned a super 14.2. We found him by advertising in the H & H after ours had gone lame. I must admit we were inundated by replies and had the pick of about 5 very nice ponies all jumping BSJA. If I wanted to loan again I would advertise. Good luck

flyingfeet

Visit site
Kate26 - I think she meant she had a 2 year old horse, not human!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Plenty of horses on loan, but from adverts I would estimate that 80% are bonkers in one way or another. You best bet is word of mouth (although I still had a pyscho horse that way).

mpicton

Visit site
Gosh....come back to me in about 10 months and I would have the perfect thing. I've got to go to uni next year and will need to put my boy out on loan.

Sorry probably not much help!