Do People not use sweat rugs any more?

Croeso

Visit site
I am set to sell a almost new Red Sweat rug on e-bay for 99p
dont people use them any more?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...E%3AIT&rd=1

I have like 3-4 and I use them all the time, after baths, exercise and shows.
I put it on first then a rug over it, after it's soaked the most of the moisture I take of leaving the top rug on so they dont get a chill
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
Nope never use one, haven't used one since i was little.

To be honest they never really seemed to do much or am i alone in thinking that
confused.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
I use them, think there brilliant, i like you will put a top rug on, unless its a warm time of year. I also have fleece and waffle weave, but with the fleece whilst its good a wicking away moisture it just sits on top and makes the rug wet, so i find a combination of them both is better!

lordflynn

Visit site
no-never did see the point
smile.gif
I have a lightweight cooler with wicking properties apparently
wink.gif
still, if its cold enough I still thatch him
grin.gif

sojeph

Visit site
Never found the need for one. Mine are unrugged all year round. I make sure mine are cooled off by the time I return from a ride then they get to roll in mud
grin.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day, they were so popular 15 years ago, now you never see them used. I've got 2 somewhere but never use them, i always use fleece rugs, a lot better in my opinion.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
99p you say?

Humm...

I had two that I used religeously, all the straps fell of, so they were all held together with twine, and none of them fit the horses anymore....

They may well still be there...

But Dorey owns her purple fleece which, rightly or wrongly, my mum uses as a sweat rug... it does help that we don't tend to work her in the winter....

TBH tho, at 99p, I'm very interested... as they're blooming useful and it's nice to not have that fleece dripping wet overnight when it's not quite cold enough for a heavy stable rug....

Yep, big fan of the sweat rug me
laugh.gif

Used to call them string vests, reminded my old pony just how ultimatly very cool he was
laugh.gif

brightmount

Visit site
It's not going to cost you £4.99 to post so you'll make a bit extra on that. I would have bid but it's too small. I think they're great - I wouldn't put a fleece on a hot horse.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Not any more as there are so many great modern coolers about now. Back in the good old days of the 'string vest' sweat rug and the upside down jute rug with a straw thatch underneath we didn't have such things as Thermatex's and other makes of cooler.

Instead of rubbing a horse down and drying it off and doing about 3 or 4 rug changes, nowadays you just throw on a cooler and a top rug if needed and put them to bed!

vic07

Visit site
i have some for the lorry as often find a proper rug too much but a holey sheet perfect. the mark todd ones are really nice - little holes about 0.5cm in diameter.

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
I remember using them to "thatch" horses, way back when - I also remember some eejit using a brand spanking new one to "thatch" a yearling - who tried to eat the straw and chewed big holes in the string rug. She hid in on the bottom shelf of the YO tack room to be found weeks later and let someone else get the blame ... I'd suggested she buy a new one and proffer it to the YO with some apology and excuse for ruining her 'old' one (the yearling belonged to YO)

Croeso

Visit site
Well someone got a bargain as it did sell for 99p
but it has to go old shop stock and it's no good sat in bags

i got loads more to sell i am just sticking it on ebay at 99p and hoping for the best!

I also sold a new exercise rug the ones that go over your legs in waterproof blue for £1.99!

person is delighted - I should think so too!

severnmiles

Visit site
Maybe that was the reason, you're talking £6.00 with postage and you can buy them BNIB at our local horse sales for £5.00 or from some mags for around £8.00.