Do people still want grass livery?

_jetset_

Visit site
I was just wondering whether people still want grass livery?

We are thinking of offering it on our place over the winter as I know when I was looking it was a little hard to find. But that was 3 years ago, before we had the horrendous winters we have experienced in the past two years.

I was wondering whether that has put people off?

I have advertised it in a few local places, but so far have not had much of a response.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Yes, very much so. Locally here, the trend on livery yards is to offer very restricted winter turnout or none at all. That forced me to look for livery with guaranteed turnout and although we have stables, not one horse on the yard uses them. They all winter out really well. Last years snow was no problem even for my TB X mares.

quirky

Visit site
Where you are J_S, yes, I think grass livery will be popular with some.
As you know, you just can't get it round here, unless you buy your own field.

Be patient, it just takes the right person to look at the advert :).

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks guys... I just didn't know whether the weather conditions of 2009 and 2010 through December and January had put people off. I know my 3 year old was out in 2009 when it was -16 and he looked great for it when he came in to be backed. But I also know some people would be so worried if theirs were out in those conditions.

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
People definatley still want it, we turn down about 15 people throughout the year who enquire, we dont even bother showing them all around as we already have a list of people after it, one more recently didnt understand why we couldnt just create a 'space' for them (the land can only comfortably cope with so many out 24/7 in winter)

however... there are sadly some who think that winter grass livery can mean they can 'forget' about their horses for the winter, so i would say that for winter the grass liveries definatley have to pay you to check on the horses daily, give hard feeds etc so that you know its done and they arent upsetting the herds routine with one being fed at different times. I actually think the bad winter has made a few more want grass livery... as one said to me on the phone earlier in the year, 'that way if hes out, it doesnt matter if i cant get there in the snow...' they also didnt want to pay for the daily checking (£1 a day...) and said he didnt need any feed.... There are some fab winter grass liveries though who may just want their horse to have more freedom, may be recovering from injury or illness, etc and it can work out very well.

I know you are slightly further away but if you are prepared to do it on a full grass livery basis, pm me your contact details, approx location etc and i can pass your details on next time someone asks if they are not too bothered if it's a bit further away etc? I would have thought though that there would be people interested, especially with youngsters etc. where have you tried advertising?

Vickijay

Visit site
I've been looking for a while for somewhere safe and secure to turn out one of my babies for the winter. So far no luck. Where abouts are you? There must be people in a similar position to me so keep advertising I guess