Do some horses just prefer grackles?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
As per title really. I’ve always been firmly in the “you shouldn’t need to strap a horses mouth shut” camp. But Pepsi currently seems to go better in a grackle than a cavesson. It’s not strapping his mouth shut by any means, it’s fairly loose.

And it’s not because he can’t open his mouth to resist, he’s much more settled and steady in his mouth in general so isn’t trying to open his mouth. It’s by no means perfect, and maybe it’s just because his schooling is improving, but the consistency has coincided with starting to use the grackle for flat as well as jumping.

Im sure I read it holds the bit stiller in their mouth than a cavesson so maybe it’s that…

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes I think so. Our retired coblet used to wear a grackle when he was my daughters. She competed and hunted him and he was a strong forward little horse. A grackle is what she found he was best in.
When he retired and I just hacked him I decided to ditch it, several times! I tried no noseband and a cavesson and we always went back to the grackle. He just never seemed happy or comfortable in anything else.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Bit stability is really important for some horses who really take exception and become fussy if there is too much movement of the bit. I have found a grackle works best in this situation.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
excellent, glad I wasn’t imagining reading those things about grackles!

I’m pretty sure it’s a lot to do with bit stability for him. He’s so sensitive with everything, and definitely better with a more fixed bit. I’ve got a bit fitter coming in a couple of weeks to make sure we’ve got him as happy as he can be in that department too.

But for now we’ll be sticking with the grackle for sure! With the added bonus I don’t need to change between nosebands for jumping/flatwork ?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'm sure there was a small study done suggesting that grackles were 'preferred' can't remember where I saw it though ? I think because it avoids some of the facial nerves.

Fairfax did it before they designed their bridle. From memory, Grackles did come off best, followed by drops I think.

ETA this refers to it however it's now in the context of how they then designed theyown bridles rather than the results of the research.

https://www.fairfaxsaddles.com/bridles/bridle-testing-and-design

Last edited:

bunandpancake

Visit site
I think somewhat like a Micklem-they avoid certain pressure points and keep the bit stable in the mouth. I’m with you on not over tightening nose bands-I keep a cavesson on my boy for looks but it’s so loose I can fit my palm through it. I’ve always thought if they’re crossing their jaw, it’s for a reason! But now maybe I’ll give a grackle a go and see if mine are happier in it too :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think current horse likes the stability thing, he's in a micklem and when the noseband stretched a bit and was really loose bhe was much happier when I tightened it.

However previous horse who hated a Cavesson was equally happy with no noseband. Obviously checked teeth etc in case there was an issue.