Do stallguards work with Shetlands?

catembi

Visit site
I have my new stable block, but my Shetland door somehow got lost in translation. I've decided that I quite like all the doors being the same height, but obviously the Shetland can't see out! Would a stallguard work? I have found that the following things do NOT work on Shetlands: electric fence; post & rail; being securely tied up. I don't want to bother with a stallguard if she is just going to use her powers of teleportation on it...

catembi

Visit site
Here’s the little mischief. Having escaped the field, trying to work out how to get into the house, eating which is her second favourite thing after escaping, trying to see over her door!

Attachments

• 7F5DF548-DB38-4AD8-A14A-A36A6A9EA2C3.jpeg
    7F5DF548-DB38-4AD8-A14A-A36A6A9EA2C3.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 29
  • BD39B95D-4B52-4351-86C1-4E18E260A7C0.jpeg
    BD39B95D-4B52-4351-86C1-4E18E260A7C0.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 38BBC8D5-B7D7-4EE1-9077-2D9F5C23CDE7.jpeg
    38BBC8D5-B7D7-4EE1-9077-2D9F5C23CDE7.jpeg
    726.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 456FE3D4-E352-4D61-8673-4C070E919CAA.jpeg
    456FE3D4-E352-4D61-8673-4C070E919CAA.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 28

catembi

Visit site
I don't want to buy one & then find out for myself that it keeps her in for one ten thousandth of a nanosecond because that would be infuriating! I would rather ask & then if 10 people have used one & it has worked for all 10, it might be worth a try, & if 10 people have used one & it hasn't worked for any of them, I'll know that it's probably NOT worth a try :) Plus I'm getting lots of alternative, interesting solutions, and I've had an excuse to post Shetland photos.

Auslander

Visit site
I used a pallet to keep Ted contained when he had to be stabled!
Ivan and Duncan have no chance of escaping, as the stable they go in has a gate, rather than a door

Top doors repurposed as bottom doors tend to be good Shetland height

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I don't want to buy one & then find out for myself that it keeps her in for one ten thousandth of a nanosecond because that would be infuriating! I would rather ask & then if 10 people have used one & it has worked for all 10, it might be worth a try, & if 10 people have used one & it hasn't worked for any of them, I'll know that it's probably NOT worth a try :) Plus I'm getting lots of alternative, interesting solutions, and I've had an excuse to post Shetland photos.
Catembi, both mine have their own stables with std door hooked flat back.
Both have top doors re fixed, on lift off hinges with draw bolts which shut home into a hole I drilled into the door frame. Works v well. Due to my bodging, one opens in, the other opens out..... still do the job tho.
At one point I used a home made gate in one stable yrs ago, still on the lift off hinges.

catembi

Visit site
Yes, the fields are no problem. She teleports out, she wanders around interfering with all sorts of things, by the time I've finished my breakfast & gone to deal with her, she has got bored & teleported back in... The fencer is coming on Wednesday, so then we'll see. Shetland vs very professionally done stock fence...? Heavan help us if she ever learns to jump!

Merlod

Visit site
No. My shetland got his leg stuck in one, infill type but he managed to get his leg between the gap where it clips to the door. I had a little door made after that!

catembi

Visit site
Oh, good point Merlod. Mine gets her little hooves into all sorts of things. She cannot resist banging things with her feet. Maybe I will insist on having my Shetland door!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
We have made an extra door for out Sec b who had to rest his head in a very uncomfortable position to be able to see out of his standard door. the normal door is pinned open and we made a slightly lower version for him which fits just inside, the only issue is it has to open inwards but as he is small and stable large theres plenty of room for this to work. The original door just sits pinned open all the while but could be closed if needed without having to move the smaller one

meleeka

Visit site
I have a solid metal mesh panel as a door. I’ve no idea where it came from, but mine will go over a door meant for a Shetland. You could use wood to hold it in place so it slides up and down, rather than opens.

QuantockHills

Visit site
I have my new stable block, but my Shetland door somehow got lost in translation. I've decided that I quite like all the doors being the same height, but obviously the Shetland can't see out! Would a stallguard work? I have found that the following things do NOT work on Shetlands: electric fence; post & rail; being securely tied up. I don't want to bother with a stallguard if she is just going to use her powers of teleportation on it...
mines not a shetland but very small... and no they dont work! I had a 3 strand good quality stall guard and after a while, the clips slide so the fabric stretches and you cant keep it tight..... meaning they can either go under or over it... and he snapped one of the clips so I had to tie a new one on with string... got a friend to cut the door in the end so my stable door can now be for a small pony or normal horse....