Do we in the award for latest and fugliest foal of 2012?!

Bri

Visit site
My BOGOF finally arrived this weekend...
Uglybug.jpg

Name suggestions anyone?

Also a quick numpty question about rugging. We live on the coast in west wales and to say it rains alot would be an understatement! Do I need to think about rugging him? There's no shelter in the paddock he's in. At the moment he's only out for a few hours a day but want him out as much as possible for the mare's sake as she could really do with the grass.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
What a sweetie pie. If he is going to be a big strong boy I would call him Gandalph, or is he is going to be a little lad it would be Tonto.

I have never rugged a foal, prefer to bring them in if the weather is foul, but I am sure someone will point you in the right direction for baby rugs.

Good luck with him, he won't be a foal for long !

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
That chest marking looks like a plane or a bird with wings outstretched so I'd call him Wings.

Looks a sweet soul and because he's so late and you're exposed, although I don't normally, I probably would rug him when the weather starts changing but I'd let him get some grease in his coat first and as Alice says, keep them in if it's bad weather for the first early weeks. Cold won't hurt them, it's persistent rain and wind that chills them to their bones but on the other hand he is a strongly built foal who looks as if he'll be as tough as old boots later on.

Elsiecat

Visit site
He's beautiful! I'd play on the batman wings thing.. What about a registered name related to Batman and stable name "Heath"?

Hes gorgeous :D

gadetra

Visit site
Aww he's a lovley strong chap. not in the fugly camp at all :)
How about Kimi? I wanted to call my last one Kimi but the father persisted with Charlie !
He looks very strong, I'd leave the rugs for now as someone said and let the grease build up. He could well be a rugless toughie. That's what I've planned for my little man and he's much wimpier looking that your lovely chap!!

Bri

Visit site
Thank you all for your lovely (generous!!) replies. He's definitely starting to grow on me now - but we'd heard rumours that it may have been a friesian she was covered by so we were half hoping for a beautiful, sleek little black foal - which he clearly is not!!

Not sure why some of you can't see a picture :confused:

Thanks for the help with regards rugging, it's only because of the wind and rain that I was concerned. If it was just cold he'd be fine I'm sure - he's already got a cracking beard and moustache coming on so he's certainly going to be a tough little nut!!

Loving all the names suggestions, how on earth do I choose!?!

Clodagh

Visit site
My 3/4 bred foal was born with a luxuriant handlebar moustache and I was appalled! It fell out and he is now quite sleek and well bred looking. I think your boy is lovely, I've always wanted a BOGOF but never got one. I like Ledger.

angrovestud

Visit site
With his patch over the eye, it would have to be winged pirate, hes super cute well done and good luck I think I would keep him dry as possible and then pop a baby rug on as suggested by Maesfen :D

elijahasgal

Visit site
He looks a cracking strong foal! I would be tempted to call him Bonus....the bonus in your purchase!!! Stable names.....well I also tend to try and give them one, but it doesnt always stick, and tend to find myself calling them something that tends to stick....but dont have a starting point and they end up foalie for life!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
That chest marking looks like a plane or a bird with wings outstretched so I'd call him Wings.

Looks a sweet soul and because he's so late and you're exposed, although I don't normally, I probably would rug him when the weather starts changing but I'd let him get some grease in his coat first and as Alice says, keep them in if it's bad weather for the first early weeks. Cold won't hurt them, it's persistent rain and wind that chills them to their bones but on the other hand he is a strongly built foal who looks as if he'll be as tough as old boots later on.

Yep, agree completely.

Polotash

Visit site
I would rug for sure. Mark Todd does some little rugs and at this time of year you should be able to pick some up second hand, as most ppls babies will have outgrown rugs no 1 and 2 already!

Alec Swan

Visit site
DO NOT RUG FOALS. By all means, when the weather is cold and wet, and they have no chance to dry out, then bring them in, or at least provide them with shelter, and under a hedge, with Heston bales as a barrier, will help, but NEVER rug a foal.

To illustrate my point, we have an exceptionally well bred mare here, by Rock King and out of a serious 4* mare. She was pampered and loved as a foal, she wanted for nothing, she laboured under 2 feet of duvet, and what ever it was felt that she needed, and she is the most mere hearted and hopeless thing imaginable. A horse has 4 or 5 years to grow, and slowly, even though they are foals, they need to come to terms with the fact that when it rains, they're going to get wet. ;)

I'll agree that sustained wet and cold wont help them, but then neither will rugs.

Alec.

Polotash

Visit site
A horse has 4 or 5 years to grow, and slowly, even though they are foals, they need to come to terms with the fact that when it rains, they're going to get wet. ;)

Ah yes, but if they have a pampered home, they'll never have to get wet will they ;0)

On a serious note, horses can't reason, so they won't "come to terms" with anything. They will shiver when wet, and sweat when over rugged. It's the owners job to get that balance right.

Tha majority of people can't magic protective hedges and bales out of thin air either (esp those at livery), so a rug is by far the simplest solution.

elijahasgal

Visit site
I always have a rug or two for the foals about, but rarely find they need it. This year I was bringing my mare and foal in at night, and did rug him in the wet to start with, cause the wind was really whipping accross my field, and cold at that. So then it tipped it down unexpectedly, I flew down to my field to rug him up, thinking poor little might, and.....he was fine!! After a couple of weeks in particular, they get the grease in their coat, and their natural waterproof layer. As long as they can find some shelter, they will most likely be 100% fine.

millimoo

Visit site
So sweet....

I like the name 'Splodge', i also like 'Dillon' - no rhyme or reason, just like those names, and theres a lot to like about your little foaly :-D definitely not a FUGLY

As for the question re rugs, I'd definitely have one on standby incase you get a wild day/night with wind and rain...