Do we live in a 3rd world country?

wattamus

Visit site
Apart from the fact that she has broken him too early, I don't see a problem. He is not massively underweight, he looks bright in his eyes and he has a nice rug, all signs of a horse with a caring if not a little naive owner. :)

Alphamare

Visit site
Omg, a third world country. Seriously!

Seriously

I am almost speachless. And offended! I am FROM a third world country. Wow

Deseado

Visit site
What's the problem with this ad? Horse looks OK, some people do break to drive at two/rising three. Why does this make UK a 3rd world country exactly?

Theresa_F

Visit site
Many horses are broken to drive between 2 and 3 and then go on to be backed at 4, light driving is less stress than riding.

He looks in good condition, I would prefer to see a youngster on the light side rather than overweight.

In terms of wrong treatment, you want to see some of the dumped horses in Wales and Ireland.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I'm not sure what the massive issue is here, ok he doesn't look like a lot of our glossy horses however seller does state he was underweight when he came, so presumably she's working to get him built up? He's a bit scruffy but looks happy...:confused:

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I do find it amusing that people get het up about things like this whilst we still break and race horses at 2 in this country.
Horse looks ok to me, just lacking muscle.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Do you know what really bugs me? All these threads on IR, can't have grass blah blah blah. And most of it is down to doing nothing, over fed, too much of the good life. Now the UK is a third world country because I well taken care of horse has been started. I bought a 2 YO filly one summer who the vets told me in no uncertain terms to start as soon as possible. When I bought her she was hugely overweight and had issues related to this. Obviously due to her age she wasn't pounded. But her issues resolved, including locking stifles, and she is still jumping and sound in America.

Way OTT

Terri

Enfys

Visit site
I think I sometimes live in a third world country.

Are you for real :confused: Third world country!:mad: Poor choice of words I feel.

If we were that 'bike' behind it (very light weight incidentally) would have four families and all their gear piled on it, or they'd have eaten the horse.

No, we have food on the shelves, somewhere to live, jobs available, water, power, hospitals, schools, communication - no rebels blowing us up, no storms, droughts or plagues, no starving people, no refugee camps ... My brother works for Save the Children, he sees more sadness, hardship and tragedy first hand than some people can ever imagine, to compare the UK with that is nuts.

Jesstickle

Visit site
The thing that I find most 'outrageous' about the ad is the fact that it hasn't been cut yet!

I didn't notice that but perhaps if it was very poor when she got it they thought they'd wait until he'd picked up a bit? Only excuse I can think of for it!

fornema

Visit site
Really OP ? Clearly you have never been to a third world country and see how deprived they are, they cannot even afford to go to school for £5 a year :0 I personally send some the kids i taught while in Tanzania to school as they cannot afford it.

YOu may want to reword your post, we clearly live in a country and can afford pretty much all the luxuries includings horses. DO NOT compare them until you have experienced the sheer scale of poverty !! Rant over !!

badgerdog

Visit site
Are you for real :confused: Third world country!:mad: Poor choice of words I feel.

If we were that 'bike' behind it (very light weight incidentally) would have four families and all their gear piled on it, or they'd have eaten the horse.

No, we have food on the shelves, somewhere to live, jobs available, water, power, hospitals, schools, communication - no rebels blowing us up, no storms, droughts or plagues, no starving people, no refugee camps ... My brother works for Save the Children, he sees more sadness, hardship and tragedy first hand than some people can ever imagine, to compare the UK with that is nuts.

Agree with this. I'm sure people in real Third World Countries would find this post offensive.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lightly starting them to drive at the beginning of there three year old year is normal done well it's fine its much less stress than being ridden .
It's unfortunate this horse has not been cut and will make hard for it to find a home.
OP I have lived in a developing country there's no way that is third world.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'm sure OP regrest posting this now! It is a bit depressing backing the horse at such a young age but as someone pointed out, racehorses are backed at 2...

I think OP needs to go to Egpyt. I was pretty horrified there by what I saw, and I imagine they are better looked after than horses in poorer countries!

rhino

Visit site
I think OP needs to go to Egpyt. I was pretty horrified there by what I saw, and I imagine they are better looked after than horses in poorer countries!

Have a look here if you want to see what is happening with horses in Egypt. *Warning, seriously distressing content* Puts it all in perspective really.

Velma

Visit site
I think I sometimes live in a third world country. I don’t believe in more horse control but when you see adverts like this and others we have all seen lately you have to wonder, it makes me very sad.
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105300149/lovely-well-bred-chestnut-colt-very-quiet.html

Have you ever visited a third world country? Can't say I've ever seen an animal look that good in the ones I've been to. Oh and last time I looked third world countries didn't have access to free healthcare and education....I could go on...

Very bad choice of words! Think this is a case of not thinking before 'speaking'.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Have you ever visited a third world country? Can't say I've ever seen an animal look that good in the ones I've been to. Oh and last time I looked third world countries didn't have access to free healthcare and education....I could go on...

Very bad choice of words! Think this is a case of not thinking before 'speaking'.

Why don't we just put this thread to bed. :)

Enfys

Visit site
Well, actually I am going to apologise to HtH for my little rant, it wasn't really called for, the unfortunate choice of wording just touched a nerve.

As for the horse, can't really see much to worry about actually, I have standardbreds at the end of my garden that are racing at 2.