Do you change bits for different disiplines

Frazer

Visit site
Just starting showjumping again properly, after having to sell ponies and mine injurying herself! And am now in the bitting your horse game again, she is ridden in a mullen mouth eggbutt snaffle on the flat, and sometimes could do with more breaks! Am taking her to her first away show in 2 weeks, and was wondering how many people switch bits for different displines and shows! And does anyone reccomend a bit not to strong but would give me more control of a tb mare which can get highly strung jumping! If you change your bit, what are your reasons, control, rules, looks etc....

leanneNcopper

Visit site
I have him in the same bit for everything at the minute, hes currently in a cherry roller which gives me the control when he jumps(as he gets excited) yet allows him to work soft during flatwork, although i would possibly change the bit when i cross country/hunt but not sure. try a dutch gag, that way youve got your snaffle for when shes behaving, but for a little more control you can alter the reins the holes go on
smile.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
Depends on the horse but i like to stay in a snaffle if at all possible. I have had horses where I have a bit for dress, sj and xc. The only only reason to change from a snaffle would be because on of control. If some uses a bit because they like the look of it should get their head sorted.

I don't know you horse so can't really comment, maybe a copper roller?

Weezy

Visit site
I tend to swop - always have a snaffle (loose ring where poss) for flat work, then something with more control for SJ and hacking (as most my horses are just like that!)

monica123

Visit site
i use a ummm...... dutch gag! use the snaffle hole for fletwork and jumping in the school/field, middle hole foir hacking xc in the park and bottom *i know but she is VERY strong and a bit loopy* so bottom for things like hunting

CastleMouse

Visit site
For dressage Castle has an eggbutt snaffle, then for XC, hunting, and show jumping he has a dutch gag on the second hole, he goes really well in both
smile.gif

shadowboy

Visit site
Nope- Myler raised port comfort snaffle for everything- he has such a soft mouth i think we would go backwards in anything else!

KateStartin

Visit site
neue shule hanging snaffle for dressage and sj. xc bitting is a slightly sore spot at the moment, have tried a lot but they are either too strong or not strong enough!

princesskelly

Visit site
i do everything in stright bar breaking bit. but think i might have to change to something strong for jumping. she only likes stright bar though. goes horrible in jointed bits.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Both my eventer wear a snaffle for all phases at the moment. My intermediate mare does have a loose ring for dressage and one with cheeks for XC as she used not to be straight.

Whilst I lioke the fact that mine go in snaffles for all phases I would not be afraid to put something stronger in if required. It can be dangerous not to have enough control!

loopeepee

Visit site
Flatwork, sometimes jumping at home, hacking - always in a snaffle.
XC - dutch gag
Hunting - either pelham or the gag again.

I hate that word - gag, its sounds like you are trying to kill them!

Frazer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Flatwork, sometimes jumping at home, hacking - always in a snaffle.
XC - dutch gag
Hunting - either pelham or the gag again.

I hate that word - gag, its sounds like you are trying to kill them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I soo agree with you, this is the main reason I am not using one at the moment, so many people recommending them! I tend to use bubble bit at the moment! Might have to try one! Anyone got a 6inch mullen mouth!

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Youngster and big lad both in French Link snaffles for everything.

My wee grey lad has a straight bar happy mouth snaffle for dressage, then changes into a waterford snaffle for sj and xc. Can't believe the difference it's made.

Shrimp

Visit site
I use a fulmer french link snaffle for flatwork and a hanging cheek waterford snaffle which stops him grabbing hold of the bit whilst jumping (we used to have a gag in but he hated it). He's not strong....... just enthusiastic
crazy.gif

lilpete

Visit site
I use a loose ring snaffle and sometimes a double for schooling, a double for showing and a hartwell pelham for jumping and hunting.

Gingernags

Visit site
I've had a good play about with bits. I was brought up on the 3 basics of snaffle, kimblewick and pelham and nothing else, they were either straight or single jointed and that was that!

But I've found books like the myler one really interesting explaining about what effects having a fleshier tongue has, or a low palate and the explanation of how you can look at evasions and things your horse does and see if the action of your bit is unsuitable.

I changed mine to a comfort snaffle with a port to give her tongue more room and it was like magic! But further along the line I've realised - she doesn't like straight or single jointed bits - tongue pressure - and will lean on fixed cheeks so say a hanging cheek bit. So now, she has a loose ring french link, and its fairly narrow - so nothing is squishing her tongue, she seems much more comfortable, and has nothing to lean on. Goes very well in it.

I try to leave her in it - she competes in it, has great brakes. She jumps in it, its dressage legal, and the only time I change it is for showing when she needs two reins. She struggles with a double, really hates that much in her mouth, so she has a myler pelham which she tolerates!

TBH she'd go fine in a snaffle showing but you get very frowned on for not using 2 reins in some classes. Which is a major gripe of mine but then thats a whole different can of worms!

kick_On

Visit site
Yeah i change bits for different job
Dressage - loose ring snaffle
Sj and XC- Big one, loose ring snaffle, Little one, loose ring waterford
Hacking - Big one, Dr bristol, Little one, fuller waterford
Hunting - both cheltenham gag