do you do flatwork/schooling with you happy hacker

bella0987

Visit site
just wondering with your happy hacking horse do you do faltwork or any type of schooling or is hacking and then lunging ok?

moosea

Visit site
Schooling for me is any activity ridden or non ridden where you and you/ or your horse learns something.

You open a gate? you turn on the forehand to hold it open, go through and close it.
You move out to avoid a drain? you are leg yielding.
You push on to keep up with a friend? you are lengthening strides.

Define schooling.

planete

Visit site
I do quite a bit of in hand and mounted suppling exercises, transitions between and within gaits, halt, reinbacks, leg yields. i will do it anywhere anytime I think he needs it, no schooling sessions as such as he seems allergic to those right now.

J&S

Visit site
You do not need to be in a school to be doing either flat work or schooling per se. The more you do with your horse out on a hack to educate them the happier your hacking will be. The best hack is a very well schooled horse/pony, a" go any where, do any thing" sort. Hard work in the beginning but worth it in the end.

Hackback

Visit site
I'm not very motivated in the school but I do have flatwork lessons so my horse gets his weekly workout, using his muscles correctly- a bit like pilates for horses. I believe this helps his overall fitness and condition. He has mild arthritis too, so it's even more important to keep his muscles strong. I also get a workout during the lesson, human needs to be quite fit, as well as the horse ?

View

Visit site
Access to arenas was much more limited, so all schooling was done while hacking. I was lucky enough to find one are with a good grass surface that was useful for e.g. Half passes.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Nope, hes getting on a bit now and his job is being a safe and reliable hack. He does this brilliantly and loves it, so I leave it at that. With a younger horse I use any opportunity to educate them.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I did, but only when hacking. Leg yielding, shoulder fore etc on the lanes, transitions trot canter trot ten strides of each in the woods, walk to canter taught on the byways.

catkin

Visit site
A well-schooled horse is an absolute pleasure to ride whatever activity you are doing. What rider would not want to hack on such a horse?
So yes, worth the time, expense and sheer hard work in training both horse and rider. Also correct training and riding can help keep both sound.

Sealine

Visit site
My horse has hock spavins so we can’t do any work on a circle. He was very supple and well schooled and I’ve noticed how much he’s changed and how much muscle he’s lost over the years. If I had the choice I’d keep schooling a horse only used for hacking to maintain suppleness and generally make the horse more pleasant to ride.

View

Visit site
My horse has hock spavins so we can’t do any work on a circle. He was very supple and well schooled and I’ve noticed how much he’s changed and how much muscle he’s lost over the years. If I had the choice I’d keep schooling a horse only used for hacking to maintain suppleness and generally make the horse more pleasant to ride.

But this can be done while hacking - the only thing that can't be done is circles.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes, through the summer i will have weekly/ bi weekly lessons so if i wanted to i could go and do a prelim (for example) and a pole clinic or pop round XC schooling.

It helps with our connection, so safety out hacking, his strength, our posture ... a nicely schooled horse can be a happy hacker and i can see the difference between someones horse just enjoying the countryside and slouching along and a horse that hacks but also schools and works 'correctly'. The forma normally look like a pile of poo and the latter tend to look strong and balanced.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Yes, leg yielding from one side of a track to another, turn on the forehand to open a gate etc. Schooling I essentially making your horse the safest it can be in terms of behaviour and the best he can be in terms of his suppleness and muscle tone . You don't need to go around in a school to school.