Do you dream about PTS after the event?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
In September last year I had my old girl (31) PTS but recently I've started dreaming about her! I was actually quite okay with my decision at the time, as I could see she wasn't as comfortable as she had always been.

But recently i've started having weird dreams that the PTS didn't work, she was still with me and I was having to rearrange it happen again! its really horrible! Is this normal? does anyone have dreams like this? The last dream was that I'd moved to the other side of the country, she was with me at new yard and we'd tried to PTS again but it didn't work!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Yes I do and even my first mare who was pts. 1995 I still dream about them.

Not that it did not work more. That it did not happen.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I wonder why I'm dreaming it, its so horrible! I have just ordered a canvas of her, which should be delivered any day, so I wonder if that's making me think about it more, making me dream about it? :'(

Nudibranch

Visit site
I had a very, very wierd dream once that I was being pts by injection and my old girl, the first one I ever had pts (and shot, not injected) came to tell me it was ok. She said I wouldn't know anything and it was just like going to sleep forever. Bizarre.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
So this is not scientific, but I was told that when you dream like this it is where you were so upset about something that you kind of sealed it off and did not file it in your memories correctly, it stayed in a sealed off part of your mind, but the wrong place.

When you dream like this it is a part of your mind re-presenting the memory to see if it is safe to be unsealed and filed correctly.

I know it helped me to think of dreams like this as being a healthy sign that my sub conscious was trying to do the right thing, and lay the memory in the correct place.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't dream of the act of pts. But I do dream a lot of two of my horses. I know it's to do with guilt and regret 😕😞😞

Kezzabell2

Visit site
So this is not scientific, but I was told that when you dream like this it is where you were so upset about something that you kind of sealed it off and did not file it in your memories correctly, it stayed in a sealed off part of your mind, but the wrong place.

When you dream like this it is a part of your mind re-presenting the memory to see if it is safe to be unsealed and filed correctly.

I know it helped me to think of dreams like this as being a healthy sign that my sub conscious was trying to do the right thing, and lay the memory in the correct place.

I guess I see what you mean! at the time I was really concerned at why I wasn't more upset, I thought I was going to be totally devastated, so perhaps I blocked it out, without really realising, and maybe its sinking in now?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I don't dream of the act of pts. But I do dream a lot of two of my horses. I know it's to do with guilt and regret ������

its not the actual act in the dream, but more the arrangements of it! like I'm not seeing it happening but its like she's has come back after it didn't work!! its really odd!!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I had a very, very wierd dream once that I was being pts by injection and my old girl, the first one I ever had pts (and shot, not injected) came to tell me it was ok. She said I wouldn't know anything and it was just like going to sleep forever. Bizarre.

oh that is weird!! its like she was coming to your dream to tell you she was okay?

Shay

Visit site
I certainly have - and about one particular cat I had PTS too. I know when I am stressed or upset about something - particularly if it has something to do with the horses - it is more likely to happen. Its your brain's way of processing stuff. Don't worry about it.

Sparkles

Visit site
Yes I still do. I have very 'real' dreams about still having mine at times. It's a very odd feeling waking up after one, as I think I feel at peace with what happened on a day to day basis..... Then waking up sometimes to thinking I still have the two horses down the yard waiting for me...... It's a very odd feeling to wake up to!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I dont dream but at the moment am reliving the run up to my mares death on a daily basis...you know..its a year to the day we brought her back from horspital...its a year since..etc. I do catch myself remembering the state she was in on the morning of her death and how she struggled to stand and to get to me and the noise she made..but then I make myself move on and not dwell on it. The anniversary is March 27th...I think its all a normal part of the grieving process.

Caracarrie

Visit site
The brain is a funny thing. It will be 4 years at the end of October for me but I still see pictures of my mare lying dead on the ground, although not much about the actual sequence of events. The hardest memory is seeing her happy face waiting for me to arrive to give her her final breakfast and then her discovering that it had no nasty drugs in and was a nice sweet coarse mix which she hadn't been able to have for 12 months due to Cushings. She ate it up with relish and I mucked out around her as usual but with the biggest guilt complex ever.
I sometimes wake up in a right panic thinking that I haven't fed the rabbit today. The rabbit died over 30 years ago!

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I still dream of my fella and he is gone 4 years in April. I've dreamt of the PTS bit with him too since, but more him reassuring me I made the right decision and that he is happy now. He broke his leg in the field (please never let me see that again) and I knew at the time I had no choice but to. I had promised him I would always be there for him when it did happen (he was 24 and just retired) and never thought it would have happened so soon, but in a way I was glad I was forced to make the decision and was there to hold his head for his last breaths.

like other posters said I do think its your brain just sorting the memories and filing them away, human brains are amazing things that we don't fully understand.

Akkalia1

Visit site
Yes, I did, it was horrible. Fairly normal I would say. It's been a year and 3 months since my mare was PTS and I don't dream about the event now but I did to begin with. I still dream about her generally though.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Over the years I have lots of animals and of course they have died and been put to sleep, I often think about all of of them and miss them. I rarely dream about my animals but I have had strange experiences while awake. Like I saw my mare in the field a couple of days after she had gone, I also heard her whinny a few times. I've seen a few other of my animals after death. I do thinks its like your mind playing tricks on you but also a way of processing whats happen to you.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I would have said no, but then last night I did dream about Pops being PTS (I can't believe it's been 3 weeks already!) except this time it was completely horrific...her eyes were rolling and she could barely stand. It was one of the most distressing dreams I've had in a while :(