Do you ever grow out of the horse obsession???

Ridererror

Visit site
I got hooked at about 3 - now into my 30s and honestly still eat sleep and breath horses! I still can't walk past anything with a horse on it and not buy it (socks, cushions, anything really)

I don't watc Tv programmes....just you tube riding videos, vlogs etc and am constantly looking for new horse books to read (any recs? currently on Kelly Marks total confidence)

Is it just me???

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My love of equines began as a toddler being hoisted onto a donkey. I remember it vividly, it was like finding the key to a magical world. Over the decades, that excitement and passion for horses has never diminished. No matter what is going on in my life, there is never a day when i don't enjoy every moment I spend with them.
Perhaps, one day I'll return to my roots and buy a couple of donkeys.

Peter7917

Visit site
Not to that extent!! I rarely read horse books, only watch horse and country if not much else is on and wouldn't be seen dead with a horse cushion in my house.

I do however spend too much time on here and too much time discussing horses with horsey friends.

Would love to spend more time in the saddle than I do, only manage 3-4 times a week.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I grew out of it when i was about 13, i think a lot was to do with mean girls on the yard and being a young shy girl i had more fun out with my friends of a weekend.
I then fell back head over heels in love with it all at about 26 years old, my dream came true and i managed to find a lovely horse of my own and am utterly in love with him. For me though i love my horse, i'm not sure i could go through it all again with another horse, he has been so much trouble in so many ways but he is part of my family so he will be with me forever.

I think i get too attached, i couldn't have a horse for a few years, sell it and then get another even if i couldn't progress :/ i guess im just a bit soft lol

Annagain

Visit site
As much as I love my horses and riding and spending time with them, I can't say I'm obsessed with anything and everything horsey. I'm not one for prints of animals on things like clothes or furnishings but even if I was, I'd avoid horses for fear of looking like a mad horse woman. A friend of mine bought me a scarf with tiny horses all over it but I only wear it places where people don't know I'm horsey! I have one big frame with nice photos of my boys on the wall and a couple of others dotted around (until I have enough for them all to go in one big frame together) and that's it. As a teenager someone bought be a china statuette of a rearing horse for Christmas and I absolutely hated it!

{97702}

Visit site
Yep you do - I gave up my horse last December and I don’t miss it at all, life is far too busy for a horse now! I know, it’s sacrilege 😂 I genuinely never thought I’d be saying that - I’m 49....

Archangel

Visit site
No but I think you get slightly more sensible.
I am holding off the full matchy matchy experience (for now) and I managed to go to the local sale and not come home with a really lovely big coloured mare :p a donkey :cool: and a beautiful TB :p.

I have another absorbing and expensive hobby as well so permanently shelling out loads of ££££.

ETS - my friend is buying her next horse in the spring. She is 87!

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
No but I think you get slightly more sensible.
at what point do you think this happens? asking for a friend ;)

Have to agree though I don't buy stuff just cos it's got a horse on it, unfortunately the mushrooming collection of actual horses means there are no funds for anything other than the living, breathing versions.

Baywonder

Visit site
In my younger years, yes I was obsessed with horses (I am now in my 50's). My bedroom walls were covered with horsey posters, horse figures were littered everywhere, and then I started collecting bits of grooming kit and tack. I would jump on anyone's pony if they needed it exercising, and I lived for my weekly riding lessons. When I got my own pony, I lived at the stables - and I still remember my mom having a dicky fit because I decided to clean all of my tack in the living room when an important visitor turned up!:oops: My obsession went on for years and years until I lost my old boy quite a while back. Then children come along, and my priorities changed.

However, I do still like to watch H & C, read the equestrian mags, and I seem to live on this forum reading everything! Deep down, I will always be a horsey girl - and the reason I say this is because every time I walk into a tack room, I just breathe in deeply and savour the horsey smell! You really can't beat it!:)

Lintel

Visit site
Similar thought to annagain, I adore my boys. I enjoy riding others horses.
.... I even have bits as curtain ties in my living room.

But I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, I do enjoy just abandoning them out in the field for a week.... especially in the winter!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I bloody hope not! I've been horse bonkers pretty much all my life, and I have no idea what I'd do if I "grew out" of them :eek:

I don't buy everything just because it has a horse on it, though. That would be insane. I do have many (many, many) photos of my horses up in the house, and the odd horsey-but-not-horsey thing here and there (e.g. I have a cushion with a horse on because it looks like one of my ponies - the rest of the cushions have no horsey theme!). The house is full of enough actual horsey tat (spare tack, so much tack...) without shoving decorative horsey stuff in there too!

Rarely watch H&C on tv, but am partial to a training video / horse sports on youtube / livestreams of events. My lot are at the forefront of my mind rather more than is strictly healthy...

FinnBobs

Visit site
I think I fall into the horse obsessed bracket! my home and desk are horsey-fied and my shelves are creaking with horse books. My pennies are mostly spent on the ned... and I have never known any different :D

canteron

Visit site
No - like you my earliest memory is riding a Shetland aged 3 - 2pm I can still remember the excitment and joy! Fast forward 54 years and nothing has changed - well I am now financially independent, maybe not nearly as brave but still horse and dog obsessed - oh and I do have a couple of fab donkeys 😊

Chuffy99

Visit site
I’m horse free for the first time in 43 years as pony has gone to live with daughter in her new home, would love another driving pony but road outside house is now so fast and dangerous that it would be no pleasure so I get my fix once a week or so either going with them competing or caring if their away. I still think I’d better do evening checks sometimes but it’s getting less and I’m rather enjoying my freedom

eggs

Visit site
I've kind of fallen out of love with riding, partly I think because I am just so busy with work at the moment but I do still enjoy having the horses around. When my current lot die (currently 18, 15, 14, 14) I very much doubt I will get another horse.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Yes. Slowly but surely working out my exit plan. Time for a change of hobby, my hearts not in this one anymore!

This, and its something I never saw happening as I've been obsessed with horses ever since I could walk
I wont be replacing my boy when he goes, unless in the mean time I win the lottery! It's just becoming a drag, coupled with all the chores, I dont mind mucking out but then add in the poo picking, filling troughs, sweeping etc and it feels like there are more chores than riding it's becoming a drag, especially as I'm not overly enjoying the riding part anymore either, possibly due to the fact he wont box so I cant work towards a little dressage test or go for a beach ride etc.
I did go on a beach ride on holiday last year and the old "excitement" did return for that ride. I think the only thing I would miss is going for a blast over the fields. I think it is just the cost and paying for something I no longer enjoy and it's not a cheap hobby to not enjoy
I cant afford a house of my own due to having the horse and I'm now scarily starting to want babies!!
I'm not even sure if I'd loan when I no longer have my own I like the fact I can choose how I manage mine eg in at night etc I'd struggle with someone else being in control! I'd maybe treat myself to "experiences" eg hiring to go hunting/ more beach rides etc
I do still enjoy reading horse books though!

Hilariously I always said I'll be a crazy single lady with loads of cats and horses and certainly no babies!

Now I want the house/ family part and of course the loads of cats bit hasn't changed!

Courbette

Visit site
I got hooked at about 3 - now into my 30s and honestly still eat sleep and breath horses! I still can't walk past anything with a horse on it and not buy it (socks, cushions, anything really)

I don't watc Tv programmes....just you tube riding videos, vlogs etc and am constantly looking for new horse books to read (any recs? currently on Kelly Marks total confidence)

Is it just me???

I think I probably have a bit more balance in my life now. I'm not sure what age I got hooked as it took a few years of pestering before I started riding aged 11, my bedroom was a shrine to all things equine and I ended up with serval loan horses and then lived at the yard during my 20's. In my 30's I have a lovely loan horse and lots of horse books strewn around the house but I've toned it down a little! I don't think the other half would of been keen on H&P magazine posters plastering our bedroom walls!

I'm just reading the horse dancer by Jojo Moyes (£2.50 in Tesco) and it is a fab book! I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited:

Silver Clouds

Visit site
When I was 10yrs old a work colleague of my father's came to stay; he asked me what sports/activities I liked, and when I said riding his reply was "you say that now but you'll give up as soon as you get interested in boys"! I was equal parts horrified and insulted, and now aged almost 40 still prefer riding/spending time with horses than wasting time on dating.

Although I enjoy other hobbies and spending time with friends etc, I don't know what the point of my life would be without horses, have always felt that way and know it won't change for me. I have a few much older friends (87, 89 and 93yrs old) and they say they feel the same: one married a man who was also obsessed with horses, and the other two got divorced! I have friends my age who feel similar, but also a few non-horsey friends. I don't have horse cushions or ornaments (or H&P posters :p)in my house though.