Do you feed your veterans anything special?

BMWKIPP

Visit site
I have a 26yo connemara that gets veteran chaff and cool mix, nothing else added as he doesn't need it, soaked hay as he coughs on dry hay but nothing else. He is in great condition and doesn't look his age, 2 others in the yard are same age get all sorts of supplements and neither look as good as he does and neither are sound. I'm very aware that I'm lucky with mine.

teddypops

Visit site
I have a 31yo and a 28yo, both in amazing condition. 28yo still in full work and no, I don’t feed them anything special. They get chaff, nuts and sugar beet in the winter only. I do soak the nuts for the 31yo as his teeth are smooth and a bit wobbly, so he finds it easier to eat them that way.

Mosh

Visit site
My 25 year old mare is looking way too well!
She has a cup of speedibeet 2x a day purely for her joint stuff.
She has to come in during the day to get off the grass and comes into soaked hay As she is on a diet.
In the winter it's just normal hay and in at night. This seems to work well for us and she is also in full work. She has less issues than a lot of horses I know but I'm aware I'm very lucky

Equi

Visit site
Mine gets a handful off chaff and a half cup of whatever feed i have going to add texture (i have a tendancy to buy feeds for the minis that i can never use up fast enough) basically just enough to absorb the liquid turmeric and glucosamine i like to give him, which i find he gets stiffer without.

Britestar

Visit site
27 and 23 have graze on gold blend and a mineral supplement. 27 yr old get boswellia in winter. Both retired. 2 x 22yr old get graze on grass and gain opticare. 1 in full work other goes hacking. No special feeds.

Peter7917

Visit site
Nope. Bit of fast fibre type feed with some nuts. Perhaps a little chaff when I have some in. Nothing special.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Henry only had a couple of handfuls of Pure Easy. He was 27. My other Exmoor gets one handful of the same (she's 18), whilst the youngster gets two handfuls. The rest is hay and grass.

thommackintosh

Visit site
Domino (21) gets speedibeet, molasses-free chaff and low-cal balancer with garlic and turmeric. He's a good doer and more sprightly than some of the horses on the yard half his age.

Bradsmum

Visit site
My 40 year old Section C gets fast fibre for breakfast, non- molassed chaff and soaked nuts for tea ands other feed of fast fibre to take her thru the night. She is out 24/7 and looks well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
26, retired last year at 25, hunted until he was 24 so I considered myself lucky too.
Used to get boswellia but has moved onto the hard stuff now :cool:.
+ general vits and mins + magnesium for the metabolic stuff + micronised linseed.
can't cope with chaff anymore so gets soaked hay cobs just as a carrier.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
24yr old WB unmolassed chaff, speedibeet, small scoop cheap nuts, brewers yeast, salt, powder balancer, micronised linseed and Buteless. Amount varies over the year depending on need. He looks fab although has lost some top line this year.

Still in hacking work 2-3 days a week.

windand rain

Visit site
pink mash and turmeraid as both get the runs eating hay without it but thats the only thing that differs from the babies all get grass chaff and soaked grassnuts if needed they get a mug of micronised linseed