do you have your own/access to transport?

dannykins

Visit site
I was just wondering really regarding the above. I don't have my own transport and it's never been an issue up to now as there are people who would help out in an emergency, such as urgent trip to the vets etc, but this might not be the case in the future.

Anyone else not have access to transport at all? How do you find the situation? Does it worry you?

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
I do have my own transport now.
When I first got Benj I didn't. It was a pain as the other girls had access to transport but I was always the one wo had to pay for transport.
It never really worried me as such, just annoying really.
When I did eventually get a trailer and something to tow it, there was no stopping me, but I did find that people like to use you as a transport service. I was taken as a mug really.
So in the end, enough was enough and Benj and I just go and do our thang, alone!
In hindsight, its was what we both needed. He now travels on his own and always loads!!

Marquire

Visit site
I've had my own lorry for a year and a half now. Before I bought it, it was a nightmare relying on people for a lift to things and it was totally impossible to plan anything.

Since having the lorry there's been no stopping me, clinics, training, competitons nearly every weekend in the summer. Plus just going different places to hack with OH has been great. I do give some people on my yard a lift to things sometimes because I still remember how frustrating it before I had transport to watch the others going to things and knowing I couldn't.

Marie

Tempi

Visit site
we've had a lorry for nearly 3 years now, but it didnt worry me before as im at a yard where nearly everyone has some form of transport and there is also someone near us who hires out for a the day with a driver for a good price. also the vets is a stones throw from my yard so we dont have issues if we need to get there which is lucky.

matthew

Visit site
I dont own a horse now but when i did my parents bought me a trailer- it wasnt new or flashy just a near unload trailer- but i loved it! i always kept it clean and tidy! i couldnt give people lifts though as it was supposed to be a double but it was more like a 3/4 not really enough room for 2!
I am sure we picked up our trailer for only about £500 which isnt bad considering the amount of use we got from it!

filly190

Visit site
I did'nt until recently and then decided enough was enough. So my car was worth about 8k, I sold it, bought an old four track (which are the very best for towing) and an ifor williams.

I am delighted with the set up and tow, 2 x 17hh horses with my new outfit. (I have previously had a lorry ages ago).

Heidi1

Visit site
Have my own lorry, have had one for the last 20 odd years, do give lifts to friends, as sometimes I like the company, i.e. Hunting or hunter trials, as for shows, tend to go on my own......... well with OH or parents.......

kalasadi

Visit site
Have local registered transporter do my transport!

They have 5 lorries and I can call and book whenever! Have also called them out at midnight before now!

Why not find your local registered transporter in your area and keep their number handy.

samp

Visit site
I used to go to shows with friends but since getting a new horse that 1 - didn't compete at the same level and 2 - that wasn't easy tp load and travelled badly I had to invest in my own transport and I am so grateful to that best choice I made as I can go where I want and do not have to rely on anyone else - well except dad to drive me lol

Pidge

Visit site
bought my lorry in April, and have to admit its fab just to be able to go out to shows or travel to Cannock Chase to go hacking
grin.gif

jemima

Visit site
I have an ancient lorry that was considerably cheaper for me to buy than a car and trailer. She's been remarkably reliable and goes out around two/three times a week. We could never have got my daughter the training she is having without transport and we love being able to just load the horses and make a cuppa when its cold and wet and raining. Our living is not fitted but we have a loo - essential with my nervy tummy. We also have rear and side ramps and could carry four horses and a pony or up to three horses and a carriage. So she may be old but she's very versatile and now I'm trying to replace her with a newer one I'm having trouble finding one with so many good points.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I am considering swapping the lorry for a trailer as the yard dont charge for parking trailers, & they are cheaper to run. Having said that the lorry gives us a changing room & somewhere to sit when it rains. Great for getting to the vet saves in call out fees. Use it to get to different places for hacking & of course you can go to a show when you want. Mine is an old one but went to Scarborough & back to collect my boss's new horse.

evsj

Visit site
In the past I was fotunate enough to share with a good friend who did the same sort of events as me. i was also loaned a new trailer for 2 years when another mate went overseas so i bought myself a tatty but reliable 4x4. not having your own is ok so long as you have a friend to share with, or someone you can rely on to help you out.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
I've just been discussing this at work (as its hard financially) - but feel I could'nt be without transport now, as well as emergencies its just so nice to chuck her in and do whatever I feel like on the day!! My previous lorry got tonnes of use, I loved it!

I now have a small 3.5 tonne, which would be overweight with two in, but I did find other people on the yard expected to be taken out just because I had a lorry - so now I can't take others!! But am happy to help when someone is stuck!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I have had my own lorry for 2 and half years and I really couldn't manage without one as I go out at least once a week, all year round. In fact I've been out 4 times in the past week!

I do take other people - usually the same person - but will happily help out, because as other people have said, I remeber how annoying it was when I didn't have transport.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My first trailer was a rear load, it cost £500 & was tatty. I cleaned it up, repainted, refurbished & rewired it & it looked a picture. We used it for 3 years & sold it for £800 on Horsemart. I moved loads of horses & ponies about in it.

I now have a Bateson Deauville, it's like a Rolls Royce compared with my first. We take our lad & a friends from the yard with us regularly. There are some on our yard that I wouldn't carry, their horses kick the hell out of trailers & I won't stand for that. At some point I'll need a lorry with some living though.
smile.gif